Gophers May Finally Play New Year's Day

Duluthguy

Reaction score
The NCAA has approved the new "Dallas Football Classic" for New Year's Day, and what a "classic" it will be. The game will pit the #7 Big 12 team against the #6 Big Ten team. Now there's a matchup derserving a slot on New Year's Day!

How many more bowl games do we need before everyone gets to play in one?

Last year there were what, 34?

Add this one plus the Yankee Stadium game and that gets us to at least 36. Only 23 more bowls to go and every team except one will be able to play in a bowl. The day is coming when a bowl is going to be forced to take a sub-.500 team as an at-large pick.

Can you help me understand how this concerns a person who would rather play golf then watch the Gophers?

The NCAA has approved the new "Dallas Football Classic" for New Year's Day, and what a "classic" it will be. The game will pit the #7 Big 12 team against the #6 Big Ten team. Now there's a matchup derserving a slot on New Year's Day!

I'm not a big fan of having them all on New Year's Day, but back in October the Big Ten announced that all their other Bowl games would take place either New Year's Eve or New Year's day.

"Oct. 13, 2009

The Big Ten Conference unveiled its new postseason lineup for the 2010-13 college football seasons, with six Big Ten bowl games set to be featured annually on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day, including five contests on Jan. 1. The conference office announced four-year bowl extensions with the Capital One, Outback and Insight and new four-year bowl agreements with the Konica Minolta Gator, Texas and Dallas Football Classic. The Big Ten is already in the midst of an eight-year extension with the Rose Bowl through the 2013 season. This new Big Ten bowl lineup will run concurrently with the latest Bowl Championship Series contract.

The Big Ten’s 2010-13 bowl lineup will begin in late December with the Texas Bowl, followed by six more postseason contests played over an estimated 26-hour period on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. The Insight Bowl will be played at night on Dec. 31, followed by five more conference bowl games over a roughly nine-hour period on Jan. 1, including the Dallas Football Classic, Capital One Bowl, Outback Bowl, Gator Bowl and Rose Bowl Game presented by Citi.

Since you're asking, I would rather play golf, among many other things, than watch an intra-squad scrimmage of the Gophers (or any other school or sport for that matter). To each his/her own.

As noted philosopher A.I. once said,

"We're talkin' about practice, man, practice. We're talkin' about practice. Not a game, man, practice."

Does this mean Brewster or whoever is the coach of the #6 Big Ten team still gets his big bonus for playing on New Year's Day?

How many more bowl games do we need before everyone gets to play in one?

Last year there were what, 34?

Add this one plus the Yankee Stadium game and that gets us to at least 36. Only 23 more bowls to go and every team except one will be able to play in a bowl. The day is coming when a bowl is going to be forced to take a sub-.500 team as an at-large pick.

The International Bowl in Toronto is no more, so there are 35 bowls this year.

As for the Dallas Football Classic, it is being played at 11 a.m., so that has "Gophers" written all over it....other than the New Year's Day part. And it's so prestigious, that it is being carried on ESPNU.

Thanks. Has the Yankee Stadium one been given a name?

The Dallas Football "Classic" sounds like it'll be as "classic" as the NABC "Classic" the Gopher basketball team hosted a couple years ago.

Thanks. Has the Yankee Stadium one been given a name?

The Dallas Football "Classic" sounds like it'll be as "classic" as the NABC "Classic" the Gopher basketball team hosted a couple years ago.

There's only one name for a bowl game played at Yankee Stadium: The Base Bowl.

As far as golf goes, it's not real golf unless there is a windmill. I look at the spring game as an oasis in the middle of the vast desert between the end of one football season and the start of the next. Even an Arena League game might almost seem interesting, despite having only a superficial similarity to football.

Since you're asking, I would rather play golf, among many other things, than watch an intra-squad scrimmage of the Gophers (or any other school or sport for that matter). To each his/her own.

As noted philosopher A.I. once said,

"We're talkin' about practice, man, practice. We're talkin' about practice. Not a game, man, practice."

That isn't what I was asking. So far you have continually established your disdain for the bowl system, and now you have recently established that you aren't concerned about gopher football until the play a regular season game.

I'm just trying to understand why you get worked up around the number of bowls. It wouldn't matter if there were 22, 25, 28, 30, or 50. It doesn't interest you to watch them. It would be like me getting on the basketball board and continually mocking how many useless pulley-games, exhibition games and non-conference games there are in basketball. That doesn't even include conference games for the conferences that have to win their tournament to make it into the dance, since those games are useless also.

So my question is why do you get concerned about post season bowls we may or may not be in, when you aren't even concerned about spring games?

I don't think that having more bowl games really harms anything or waters down the impact of the better bowls. What it does water down is the impact of saying "my team made it to a bowl game". The prestigious bowls are still just as prestigious, but if all you know is that a team made it to a bowl game, you don't have enough information to know how impressed you ought to be.

I don't think that having more bowl games really harms anything or waters down the impact of the better bowls. What it does water down is the impact of saying "my team made it to a bowl game". The prestigious bowls are still just as prestigious, but if all you know is that a team made it to a bowl game, you don't have enough information to know how impressed you ought to be.

I agree with that on all counts. I will add that I miss the days when the best bowls were on New Year's Day, and the "importance" of lesser bowls could be determined by how close they were to Jan. 1. I like my week between Christmas and New Year's filled with bowls, and I don't mind adding bowls. But, frankly, I don't want the Gophers (or anybody else) playing on Jan. 1 if they finished sixth in the Big Ten. Jan. 1 used to be reserved for the big four bowls. Those days are gone, but can't we at least reserve Jan. 1 and the days following for the top eight?

Top Bottom