Gophers make history winning with -22 turnover battle

Based on the visage and body language of Coach Johnson, I suspect the Gophers will be running some extra wind sprints in practice tomorrow if not after the game tonight. He was particularly furious at the newbs who closed out the game (or didnt close out the game).

Based on the visage and body language of Coach Johnson, I suspect the Gophers will be running some extra wind sprints in practice tomorrow if not after the game tonight. He was particularly furious at the newbs who closed out the game (or didnt close out the game).
Gotta save their legs with the short bench......need to come up with some new form of punishment, maybe make them write an essay about the importance of protecting the basketball. :)

Going to be painful for the lads watching film tomorrow. I would have been shocked with a dozen TOs, but 28? That’s a scary number. Yikes.

BJ was also trying to get some players in off the bench in the second half. Appeared to disrupt the flow set in the first half, leading to turnovers. Also it looked like Battle and Willis stopped shooting.

I especially liked when Treyton Thompson threw the in bounds pass right to an Islander player for a layup.

I’m not going to worry too much at this point unless it extends a few games. It seemed like CBJ felt like we were going to get the W and wanted to get guys in. Not sure many of the other teams we play will be as quick and don’t have that defensive scheme. With that said, maybe I would have liked them to make better coaching and player adjustments.

In general, turnovers have not been a big issue for this team this season, but we haven't faced a team like CC stylistically so far. They deserve props for playing pesky D. I think the combo of playing a smaller and quicker opponent along with the gophers getting a huge lead then playing sloppy lead to the absurd turnover problem. I don't necessarily see this becoming a trend, though I do think teams will be more likely to pressure players not named Willis much more heavily going forward.

They looked nonchalant and played a little entitled IMO. The hot start may have gone to their collective heads or they were hungover from the MI win. Hard to say, but the sloppy play has got to stop.
Good to learn a tough lesson while still winning!

I especially liked when Treyton Thompson threw the in bounds pass right to an Islander player for a layup.

For a young guy who's probably hoping for more playing time....that was absolutely brutal.

For a young guy who's probably hoping for more playing time....that was absolutely brutal.
Yeah, not a great way to show the coaches they should get you out there more.

Turnovers last night were ugly but I find it kind of funny that some posters are just willing to forget about the 9 other games where we had very few turnovers. At this point last night was an outlier where the team played sloppy. Hopefully they get back to playing the way they did in the other 9 games in regards to taking care of the basketball.

Looking at the faces of the players on the court after the game, they were embarrassed and upset. Just fuming. They left the floor before the Rouser was complete (not cool), but that was an indication of their bad feeling.

Looking at the faces of the players on the court after the game, they were embarrassed and upset. Just fuming. They left the floor before the Rouser was complete (not cool), but that was an indication of their bad feeling.
For a team that was supposed to be scrappy and underdogs, I'm surprised how quickly they reached front runner mentality. Hopefully this was a good lesson for their next two non-conference games

Payton was most unhappy with Treyton’s late-game inbound. 😡

The Tubby Stare was unmistakable. We need a new name for it...

when you play shitty and win, you know what I call that?

a win!

(pondering this point - people love to talk about "moral victories." so, the opposite must be a "moral loss." I would put the CC game in that category.)

Gotta save their legs with the short bench......need to come up with some new form of punishment, maybe make them write an essay about the importance of protecting the basketball. :)
Have PJ come to practice and lecture them on the "ball is the program" message!

Yeah, not a great way to show the coaches they should get you out there more.

Turnovers last night were ugly but I find it kind of funny that some posters are just willing to forget about the 9 other games where we had very few turnovers. At this point last night was an outlier where the team played sloppy. Hopefully they get back to playing the way they did in the other 9 games in regards to taking care of the basketball.

Right. But this game in particular....they tried to get minutes to the bench. Not to say that the starters did well with the ball....but 12 of the 28 TOs came from bench guys getting a fraction of the minutes. I had been wondering why Sutherlin hadn't been getting more minutes.....but the seven turnovers in 21 minutes answered that question. Needs to be able to protect the ball better. And if this team wants to compete with the best in the league.....defense is going to be a priority.

Right. But this game in particular....they tried to get minutes to the bench. Not to say that the starters did well with the ball....but 12 of the 28 TOs came from bench guys getting a fraction of the minutes. I had been wondering why Sutherlin hadn't been getting more minutes.....but the seven turnovers in 21 minutes answered that question. Needs to be able to protect the ball better. And if this team wants to compete with the best in the league.....defense is going to be a priority.
Sutherlin's game is slashing to basket, you are going to have to put up with some turnovers or you stifle that part of his game. I will agree 7 is to many for him but you will have to live with a few on occasion because you want that part of his game. Keeps the other teams defense honest.

Sutherlin's game is slashing to basket, you are going to have to put up with some turnovers or you stifle that part of his game. I will agree 7 is to many for him but you will have to live with a few on occasion because you want that part of his game. Keeps the other teams defense honest.

Seven turnovers is not "some". That is way too many....especially since many of those turnovers came in transition.....and only on 21 minutes of court time.

Top Bottom