Gophers legend Mychal Thompson renews his support with help from Ben Johnson

BroncoRedux

Reaction score
"That was a big disappointment my two basketball boys didn't get a chance to play at Minnesota," Thompson said. "Klay would've very seriously considered Minnesota."

"Some of these guys on the Gophers are going to have a good chance to be in the NBA," Thompson said. "Coach Johnson has them headed in the right direction. They got the right man in place right now to take the Gophers to new heights."

So who is Mychal throwing under the bus as support for CBJ and if it's Little Ricky does he realize CBJ recruited for LR?

Klay Thompson played at Washington State from 2008-11, and one of Mychal's other sons Mychel played at Pepperdine from 2007-11. (They spent their entire childhoods on the West coast; the two of them were not really connected to the state of Minnesota at all other than their father being there 30 years earlier)

Klay Thompson played at Washington State from 2008-11, and one of Mychal's other sons Mychel played at Pepperdine from 2007-11. (They spent their entire childhoods on the West coast; the two of them were not really connected to the state of Minnesota at all other than their father being there 30 years earlier)
I had always heard that Klay wanted to stay on the west coast. Never considered Minnesota. Going from memory.

I had always heard that Klay wanted to stay on the west coast. Never considered Minnesota. Going from memory.
FWIW, Per 247, he was never offered by us - insane. Michigan and ND schools father from the West Coast did offer him.

The worst thing he could have said was no, but thank goodness Maverick was available.

The worst thing he could have said was no
You don't know that they did literally nothing, literally zero effort.

They could have been putting feelers out, going to his games, trying to talk to him, for a long time. And he could've shut them down from the git go and said "thank you, but I have absolutely zero interest in going to Minnesota".

You don't just throw out an offer just to throw it out anyway, in that case. Probably especially not in those days, where offering someone actually meant something.

They could have been putting feelers out, going to his games, trying to talk to him, for a long time. And he could've shut them down from the git go and said "thank you, but I have absolutely zero interest in going to Minnesota".

You don't just throw out an offer just to throw it out anyway, in that case. Probably especially not in those days, where offering someone actually meant something.
The players dad literally just said he would have seriously considered Minnesota?

I don't remember either Thompsons being spectacular in college. No matter now. Just glad to see Mychal speaking in support of MN basketball after all that time. My memories are that he was part of another NCAA investigation back in '78 (?) when the Nassau native sold a couple of Gopher BB tickets for a profit of about $200. Huge deal at the time, and Mychal claimed he didn't know that it would be a controversy, and admitted such. Of course NCAA threw the hammer at MN.

Klay was a top 50 recruit, I believe. Surprising perhaps that he would end up at Wazzu, but Bennett was coaching there at the time - maybe that was the attraction.

I never said that, can you not differentiate between that and not offering him?
You’re smarter than that, right?
Assuming the unknown, ergo 🐮 💩.
When I assume something….., I’m guessing you’re familiar with the rest.

Your supposition is based on refuting what his dad said and what a recruiting website shows- this is called evidence; whilst you offer none other than the ruinations of your mind.

To prove your point, you actually need to provide third party attestation (proof), rather than me disproving your unsubstantiated claims.

I don’t come on here for pissing contests trying to validate my self-worth, so these type of inane encounters bore me silly - to each their own.

I sincerely hope you find some peace ☮️ in your life, for I know when I was an argumentative know it all, I was deeply unhappy and also drank too much - if it doesn’t apply, let it fly.

My life is much more enjoyable with not knowing all the answers and admitting when I’m wrong or F 🆙.
As my 85 year old Mom still reminds me, would you rather be happy or right - I’m a thick headed late 50s Slovenian.

Last edited:

Story from Bud Withers of Seattle Times, dated 03/05/2009...Klay's freshman year.

"Outside the windows of Tony Bennett’s car, the Palouse hills of September rolled past, a tableau of farmhouses and silos and long, curving driveways.

The recruit from Southern California, the quiet, studious kid, eyed the surroundings. Bennett, the Washington State basketball coach, held his breath, knowing that the absence of asphalt and Carl’s Jr. can be a deal-breaker for the Cougars.

It’s beautiful,” said Klay Thompson.

Right then, WSU thought it might have something. Or maybe it was a couple of months earlier, when Thompson’s trainer and AAU coach told Bennett they could land Thompson if they’d work at it.
Or maybe it was the night of Jan. 29, five weeks ago, when Thompson rained 28 points on Arizona State on the road, hitting 8 of 10 three-point attempts and announcing to the Pac-10 that on a shortlist of the league’s best freshmen, he belongs.
Thompson and the Cougars come to Edmundson Pavilion on Saturday to play Washington in the regular-season finale. Thompson averages 13.3 points and shoots 43 percent on threes, and is one more bit of evidence that no matter how much coaches work at it, recruiting remains an inexact science.
Klay is the middle son of Mychal and Julie Thompson. Mychal, a 6-foot-10 center, was a 13-year pro with the Blazers, Spurs and Lakers, picked No. 1 overall by Portland in 1978 to be the successor to Bill Walton and his persistent foot problems.
Two things about Klay that were true years ago: He could shoot, and he had the same serious expression he wears today.
“Since he was a third-grader, he could shoot threes,” says Mychal, a radio commentator for the Lakers. “He’s always been a mature and confident young man. Even back in grade school, he was always a kid under control and not overwhelmed by situations.”

Early in his Santa Margarita High School career, Klay and his older brother Mychel, now a forward at Pepperdine, hooked up with a nearby trainer/AAU coach named Joedy Gardner. His father of the same name was coach at West Virginia from 1975 to 1978, and Gardner had a solid career at Long Beach State in the early ’80s.
Through Gardner, Klay would play with and against a cavalcade of former and current L.A.-area players: Arron Afflalo, Michael Roll, Tayshaun Prince, Cedric Bozeman, Tyson Chandler, Kevin Love, Renardo Sidney.
“Joedy is one of the best shooting and technical coaches in the country,” said Mychal Thompson.
Klay didn’t exactly need a wholesale overhaul. But Gardner used his odd arsenal of props — towels, rubber bands, hula hoops — to help the 6-6 Thompson develop arch and balance.

“I said, ‘This kid’s going to be special,’ ” Gardner recalls. ” ‘Everybody’s going to come after him.’ “
Well, not so much. Thompson had a solid junior season but didn’t attract a lot of attention, perhaps because he was slender, maybe because he had spent a minimal amount of time on the AAU circuit.

“I was hoping teams in the Pac-10 would start paying attention to him,” Mychal Thompson says. “Nevada jumped on him really early. Tony [Bennett] was the only [Pac-10 coach] to jump on him. I was like, ‘What am I missing here?’ “
Later, there would be heavy irony in Nevada’s interest. For the time being, Klay was under the radar, even in July before his senior year, when Mark McLaughlin of Inglemoor High committed to the Cougars, fulfilling their need for a rangy, big backcourt player.
But before July was out, McLaughlin had asked out of that commitment, and suddenly, WSU was in the market again for a swing player.
Now, enter an old Bennett friend — Mike Burns, who had been a WSU assistant with Tony in 2003-04 under Dick Bennett before taking the Eastern Washington job. Dismissed at Eastern in May of 2007, Burns agreed to a summer stint as coach of an elite AAU team that included Thompson, as well as future UCLA players Jerime Anderson and Jrue Holiday and Arizona signee Jeff Withey.

Burns talked to Bennett, expressing his disbelief that Thompson wasn’t more highly recruited.
“The big rap was, could he guard?” Burns said. “But we’re playing the Atlanta Celtics in early July, and the only guy I could get to guard one kid on the Celtics was Klay.”

Then Bennett dialed up Gardner, who had earlier touted Thompson as a good prospect. It came down to WSU, Notre Dame and Michigan, in part because the Cougars and Bennett had a friend in Gardner.
“We sat down at lunch, and Klay asked me where I’d go,” said Gardner. “I told him, and that’s where he went.
“The system is perfect, the way they come off screens, plus Tony’s character is very positive. He’s a man who means what he says.”

In Thompson, the Cougars gained a player who is getting more adept off the dribble and might, as a freshman, have the best pure shooting stroke in the Pac-10.
“He’s wired to score,” Bennett says. “Like a lot of young kids, he loses some vision and gets exploited [defensively]. But he’ll have a nice future if he gets stronger and keeps working on individual improvement.”

There was a time when Thompson projected himself in a USC uniform. As Trojans coach Tim Floyd explained recently, another local product, Malik Story, committed to them as a ninth-grader and they thought that position was covered so they didn’t recruit Thompson. But Story couldn’t get into school and is now at Indiana.
“I ended up at a great place,” says Thompson. “So I can’t complain.”

All of it leaves his father shaking his head at the trend toward uber-early commitments. “If you miss out on a kid,” says Mychal Thompson, “there’s always another one to come along.”
Somehow, for the Cougars and Klay Thompson, it was that simple."

I don't remember either Thompsons being spectacular in college. No matter now. Just glad to see Mychal speaking in support of MN basketball after all that time. My memories are that he was part of another NCAA investigation back in '78 (?) when the Nassau native sold a couple of Gopher BB tickets for a profit of about $200. Huge deal at the time, and Mychal claimed he didn't know that it would be a controversy, and admitted such. Of course NCAA threw the hammer at MN.
Klay was really good.

I had no idea the #1 pick in the draft played at Minnesota. Thank you for this information
Yea, Larry Bird was taken 6th that year by BOS. I believe Earvin Johnson was a year later taken first. Was fantastic seeing MN, which was a remarkably good team those years, lock up with MSU, Johnson et al. Mychal played with McHale '77-78 in 12-6 season.

I had no idea the #1 pick in the draft played at Minnesota. Thank you for this information

More historically relevant troubled history of MN basketball, that CBJ is correcting the right way, from ground up. Glad to hear Mychal coming back, would be great to have McHale's presence as well. Fly the banners.

More historically relevant troubled history of MN basketball, that CBJ is correcting the right way, from ground up. Glad to hear Mychal coming back, would be great to have McHale's presence as well. Fly the banners.
What does this mean?

In fact, when Klay was mentioned as a possible trade asset going to the Timberwolves several years ago, he reacted violently negatively to that. He wanted no part of living in the Midwest.

Top Bottom