Gophers lead Pro Football Focus All-Big with 11 picks

swingman

Reaction score
Offense: Mo first team, Blaise and Autman-Bell second team, Olson and John Michael Schmitz third team, Morgan HM (behind Pennix, Stroud, Mertz), Faalele HM. Seven picks on offense leads conference.

Defense: Mafe 2nd team, Durr 3rd team, Harris HM (Harris scored well in play-by-play film review PFF does).

Special teams: Transfer kicker from MAC, Trickett, first team.

Total of 11 picks leads Big Ten with Iowa at 11 as well. OSU 10, IN 10, WI 9, PSU 9, PU 8, RU 8, MI 7 MSU 7, NW 6, IL 5, MD 5, NE 2.

Combined with most returning experience in nation, should be fun year in Stadium Village and Dinkytown!

Nebraska 2 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
On one of the Nebraska fan sites (which I love to read), a group of Nebbie fans have Minnesota as one of the four easy games in 2021 that Nebraska obviously should win ... because the Gophers aren't very good. Nebraska recruits way better players than the Gophers do, etc. Whatever. Really looking forward to the Nebraska game.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but PFF is generally pretty well-respected, right? Aren't they the analytics folks?

If they have any clue what they're talking about, this seems to me to be a pretty big deal.

One question, though: Tanner Morgan ranked behind Stroud and Mertz? To my knowledge, Stroud hasn't thrown a pass in the B1G yet. And... Mertz? Seriously?

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but PFF is generally pretty well-respected, right? Aren't they the analytics folks?

If they have any clue what they're talking about, this seems to me to be a pretty big deal.

One question, though: Tanner Morgan ranked behind Stroud and Mertz? To my knowledge, Stroud hasn't thrown a pass in the B1G yet. And... Mertz? Seriously?
Stroud looks like the goods regardless if he played or not. I would expect Kramer or Clark to be 3rd team all B1G for tOSU if he started for them just due to their weapons.

With a first team all Big Ten kicker there's a good chance Minnesota would have gone 5-2 with an Axe in the case and a NYD bowl game last season. That's just a better outcome in the 2 OT games.

Add the most returning production and 750+ pounds coming back on the right side of the line and I'm hyped

Guys I hope feel slighted:

All of interior d-line...
need 7th year Notre Dame transfer Dew-Treadway, 6th year Clemson transfer Pinckney, 6th year NCSU transfer Martin, 3rd year four-star recruit Cheney, 3rd year DeAngelo Carter, to make some noise

All of linebacker unit...
*Last year SoriMarin was only linebacker with experience (started 7 games on that 11-2 team).
*SoriMarin looked better by end of year as some other guys replacing Marin, Barber, Coughlin, DeLattiboudere, Winfield, Williamson, and Renner, gained experience.
*This year Mariano gets his fourth year classmate Oliver back, who also played in 2019.
*Another fourth year guy is Aune, who started some last year.
*Gophs add a guy in Gibbens who was a four year player in Abilene.
*Gordon and Willis will be third year guys now; both got a lot of run last year.
*LeCaptain another third year guy who got some run; he looked good in Spring game.
*Lindenberg got some good run as a true frosh...reportedly has added a lot of strength.
*Finnessy another true frosh who saw some action on special teams.
*They like Burns who played in one game last year.

I would say that they probably have the most rigorous methodology, but it's not totally clear how accurate their model is. Their play-by-play grades often don't line up all that well with eye-test based rankings (quite often to the Gopher's benefit). I wouldn't say it's at all clear which method is "better". Definitely not nobodies, though.

Hubba hubba hubba! Now, we are talking! :cool03:

Top Bottom