Gophers LB Braelin Oliver talks comeback from major 2020 knee injury

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Wald:

"That injury, it was a dark time so it really was just a lot of thinking. I really felt like I wasn’t there to help them physically, but I was there spiritually and mentally. That kind of pushed me to when I come back, I’ve got to give it everything I’ve got because I missed a whole year without the team. That really hurt me to not be on the field out there with them," Oliver said after Monday’s fall camp practice.

Oliver wouldn’t let it be the end to his story. He returned last season and played all 13 games, with seven starts, and had 24 tackles with one pass break-up and a forced fumble. He played behind Mariano Sori-Marin and Jack Gibbens among the linebackers.

He’s now a primary linebacker on the first-team defense, playing alongside Sori-Marin.

"The reality is when that thing happened and you get information from medical people, that wasn’t necessarily a slam dunk that that was going to be one that you come back," defensive coordinator Joe Rossi said. "He persevered, he rehabbed. What I’ve seen from him this training camp, he’s full speed."

Oliver said he felt some nerves going into last season, and didn’t fully feel like himself until Minnesota hosted Nebraska, a 30-23 win at Huntington Bank Stadium. He had worn a brace on his right knee the first five games of the season. He took it off in practice in the week leading up to facing the Cornhuskers, and made one tackle in the victory.

It was the last mental hurdle he had to clear.

"Honestly I kind of just overcame it and kind of came to the sense of mind of just relax and play. Whatever happens, happens. You’re back from it, so just be grateful you’re back from it," Oliver said.

Go Gophers!!

It didn't fully click until the end of the season last year for him, but when it did, he looked really good.

I liked what I saw in 2019. If he reaches his normal health and expands his game, he has the potential to contribute every bit as much as Gibbens did last season. One of the many intriguing aspects of this Gopher defense.

I saw Oliver and knee injury in the Thread Title and nearly threw up.....:sick::sick::sick:

I hope he remains healthy....I think he has the most talent of any of our LB'ers.

Top Bottom