Gophers land stud Clemson DT Nyles Pinckney!!! Huge!

Massive boost for the D-Line. Fleck is loading up for 2021.

Wow. This along with the transfer from NC State and we're looking real solid.

Quite possibly the best get at the biggest need. Hopefully the LB transfer works out and I Brown sees the field at our other big need.

I wonder why he's transferring...he still played quite a bit in 2020. Oh well, we'll take him!

Because they have two 5-star DTs coming up, so he wasn't going to start next year.

It sure would be nice to get Alabama transfers. They seem to be loaded three deep the way they demolished Ohio State last night. They have some talented benchwarmers.

He was passed by several underclassmen this year as well.

Not shocking at a place like Clemson where they bring in elite talent every year. Seems like a win-win for everyone. We get a really good player who should be able to step in right away and help us and I am thinking Clemson will be just fine along the D-Line without him.

cornerback too
I think we definitely need depth at corner in case of injury. Not sure what's there beyond our starters.
Safety seems to be the biggest problem right now that we have added to our LB, DL, and K.

I think we definitely need depth at corner in case of injury. Not sure what's there beyond our starters.
Safety seems to be the biggest problem right now that we have added to our LB, DL, and K.
https://gophersports.com/sports/football/roster/2020?&sort=position

- Justus Harris, who was a pretty steady contributor at Nickle. Maybe could be moved outside? Assuming he is coming back for 21.
- Terell Smith from the 2018 class, who has seen his playing time steadily decrease. Assuming he is coming back for 21.
- Solomon Brown from the 2019 class. Don't think he got reps on defense this year, as opposed to special teams? Not sure.

After that, I think it is walk-ons, transfers (guy from Duluth, guy from Wahpeton), and then 2020 class guys.

Compared to https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2021-Football/Commits/
includes: Eli Mau
doesn't yet have: Val Martin, Nyles Pinckney, or Dylan Wright.

I guess because Mau is included, that means he is going to be what we call a "Maroon Shirt". Means you pay your own way as a PWO your first year, with the understanding that a scholarship will be honored after that going forward. And you get to be included with the signing class in PR.

Compared to https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2021-Football/Commits/
includes: Eli Mau
doesn't yet have: Val Martin, Nyles Pinckney, or Dylan Wright.

I guess because Mau is included, that means he is going to be what we call a "Maroon Shirt". Means you pay your own way as a PWO your first year, with the understanding that a scholarship will be honored after that going forward. And you get to be included with the signing class in PR.
Never heard a maroon shirt. Pretty sure he is just a pwo, which means he is guaranteed a roster spot at the start of camp, nothing is guaranteed as far as a scholarship.

Never heard a maroon shirt. Pretty sure he is just a pwo, which means he is guaranteed a roster spot at the start of camp, nothing is guaranteed as far as a scholarship.
This is from 2018:
https://www.startribune.com/gophers...uld-be-a-four-way-race-next-season/503178851/

‘Maroon shirts’

Cretin-Derham Hall wide receiver Peter Udoibok and St. Croix Falls (Wis.) offensive lineman Tyler Cooper will be “maroon shirts” this coming season, meaning they’ll be walk-ons with a promise to receive a scholarship the following year.

“They’re amazing players, and you’ve got to get really creative when you want really good players,” Fleck said.

This is from 2018:
https://www.startribune.com/gophers...uld-be-a-four-way-race-next-season/503178851/

‘Maroon shirts’

Cretin-Derham Hall wide receiver Peter Udoibok and St. Croix Falls (Wis.) offensive lineman Tyler Cooper will be “maroon shirts” this coming season, meaning they’ll be walk-ons with a promise to receive a scholarship the following year.

“They’re amazing players, and you’ve got to get really creative when you want really good players,” Fleck said.
So maroon shirt is similar to a grey shirt except it sounds like the players didn’t wait a semester to enroll. I think Mau is just PWO, with no promise of a future scholarship.

This is from 2018:

‘Maroon shirts’

Mau is a regular PWO, not a maroon shirt.

The only reason I would have to suggest otherwise is that he is being listed along with the other scholarship signees.

Similarly, Zack Annexstad (the first Maroon Shirt), was listed in all PR material with the scholarship signees as part of the "signed 2018 class".

It's a very minor thing. Technically, there is no difference from a regular PWO, in the first year. It's only after that, where the MS has been promised a scholarship, while the regular PWO has to earn it.

The only reason I would have to suggest otherwise is that he is being listed along with the other scholarship signees.

Similarly, Zack Annexstad (the first Maroon Shirt), was listed in all PR material with the scholarship signees as part of the "signed 2018 class".

It's a very minor thing. Technically, there is no difference from a regular PWO, in the first year. It's only after that, where the MS has been promised a scholarship, while the regular PWO has to earn it.
Other PWO’s have also been listed as signing with their classes like Wyatt Schroeder last year.

The reason why most PWO’s aren’t announced on signing day is because most PWO’s don’t commit until after signing day.

Top Bottom