Gophers land George Washington transfer Jamison Battle

I doubt Pohto sticks and Johnson is 50/50 at best IMO. He will have offers to go somewhere that will win next year.

I don't understand the negativity about Pohto. I can't see him being any less than Freeman. Based on what I've read about him and seen of him on video, he's a big body (6'11" 235), is a pretty good outside shooter, he runs the floor well, and has pretty good fundamentals. I don't expect him to be a budding Treveon Williams but I think he might be an adequate backup for 10 minutes a game.

Literally, only 8 teams out of 347 were worse shooting teams than we were.

Well, that's close but we were slightly better. 313 out of 347 D1 teams (the Ivy League didn't play this year) on True Shooting Percentage. Undoubtedly without our pretty decent free throw shooting through most of the year we would have been at least 10 or 20 places lower.

Literally, only 8 teams out of 347 were worse shooting teams than we were.
No defense. 35% 3-point shooting in a weak conference.

Look, it's great that he's coming here, but he's a 4-6 points a game bench player on a team that competes for a conference title.

Let's not pretend otherwise.

If he's starting, then you're probably competing for the league's toilet.

So... I'm confused... are we "net positive" or "net negative" at this very moment?

I like Johnson, but I think people are overrating him quite a bit.

Outside of the Iowa game, Johnson only made 6 other 3's the entire season. 6-46 for 13%.

I think Fox is definitely better than Ihnen, and I think he would give us at least what Johnson gave us last season, if not more.

I don't understand the negativity about Pohto. I can't see him being any less than Freeman. Based on what I've read about him and seen of him on video, he's a big body (6'11" 235), is a pretty good outside shooter, he runs the floor well, and has pretty good fundamentals. I don't expect him to be a budding Treveon Williams but I think he might be an adequate backup for 10 minutes a game.
He's from Sunrise and committed to Lindsted. I simply doubt he stays comittted.

Ihnen is a complete liability on offense. Fox shot over 62% from the field, Ihnen was 32%. Fox does exactly what Ihnen should do, but doesn't, and that's get to the rim with his athleticism.

That's not completely true. He was a non-entity most of the year but I believe Pitino played him out of position as a small forward on the offensive end. He's not a good 3 point shooter and he doesn't have enough confidence in his ball handling to play that position.

Ihnen's 3 point shooting was atrocious last year but he was .538 from 2 this past season and .563 the year before. His free throw shooting was also pretty decent at .789. He has good length and quick reflexes. He's a pretty decent man defender. On a 40 minute basis, he averaged 10.2 rebounds in conference; that was the highest on the team (just above Robbins' 10). He did have two double doubles this year.

Ihnen is a complete liability on offense. Fox shot over 62% from the field, Ihnen was 32%. Fox does exactly what Ihnen should do, but doesn't, and that's get to the rim with his athleticism.
I could see Fox being very solid with the right system. I would be fine seeing him don the maroon and gold. I'm just not convinced his game necessarily translates to the B10. I'd rather roll the dice and see if Ihnen can continue to develop into a more well rounded player that can do more than just get to the rim. He's the devil I know.

The shots that Fox was getting for his 62%, he won’t get those at the D1 level. He also looks like he has no left hand at all. I am not sold he is a good get.

Johnson>Fox>Ihnen
How in the world would you know Fox is better than Ihnen? This infatuation with new is hilarious. It’s just new, not always better. Ihnen has a ton of potential, and with a coaching staff that may have a clue how to use him he could have a significant impact.

He's from Sunrise and committed to Lindsted. I simply doubt he stays comittted.

Well, I have no idea what he would do, of course, but if I were the coach of Sunrise or another prep, I'd be telling my second tier players to think hard before de-committing if you have a good offer. You're going to be overshadowed by the transfer market and you might wait awhile and end up getting an offer that isn't as good as the one you have now.

That's not completely true. He was a non-entity most of the year but I believe Pitino played him out of position as a small forward on the offensive end. He's not a good 3 point shooter and he doesn't have enough confidence in his ball handling to play that position.

Ihnen's 3 point shooting was atrocious last year but he was .538 from 2 this past season and .563 the year before. His free throw shooting was also pretty decent at .789. He has good length and quick reflexes. He's a pretty decent man defender. On a 40 minute basis, he averaged 10.2 rebounds in conference; that was the highest on the team (just above Robbins' 10). He did have two double doubles this year.

The problem is he rarely attempts any 2s. Only 16 last season, and 26 this season. He continues to just sit on the 3 point line and take bad 3s.

Fox 62% was against division 2 competition. If Ihnen enters portal will be a ton of interest. I’d take Fox, but not if we lose Ihnen.

The shots that Fox was getting for his 62%, he won’t get those at the D1 level. He also looks like he has no left hand at all. I am not sold he is a good get.

I disagree. He is more than athletic enough to get those shots at the D1 level. This is why he has so many D1 offers right now.

He's not going to average 21 per game, but he could average 8-10 to go along with his great defense.

How in the world would you know Fox is better than Ihnen? This infatuation with new is hilarious. It’s just new, not always better. Ihnen has a ton of potential, and with a coaching staff that may have a clue how to use him he could have a significant impact.
Maybe. I personally think the game is too fast for him. Hopefully he develops but he isn’t close to being a contributor on a top 5 in the big ten type team right now

Fox has a lower FT percentage than Shaq and shot under .200 from behind the arc last year. I'll take Ihnen especially since he has an additional year of eligibility.
Ihnen is on his way to being a borderline great defensive player. He rebounds well. If coaching is important (it is) I think that Ihnen can be a much better offensive player as well.

No defense. 35% 3-point shooting in a weak conference.

Look, it's great that he's coming here, but he's a 4-6 points a game bench player on a team that competes for a conference title.

Let's not pretend otherwise.

If he's starting, then you're probably competing for the league's toilet.
The A-10 is farrrrrrr from a weak conference. You have no clue what you are talking about.

Fox 62% was against division 2 competition. If Ihnen enters portal will be a ton of interest. I’d take Fox, but not if we lose Ihnen.

Why do we automatically lose Ihnen? Are we not going to have a bench next season? We don't have very many players on the roster right now.

And even if we did lose Ihnen, 2.8 PPG is not exactly daunting to replace.

Maybe Johnson thinks he can use him differently? I do think Johnson was lost in the Pitino offense. He was out there standing on the wing. I would have much preferred him catching it in the high post and working hi-lo with Robbins. He just needs to be used right and gain some confidence.

A lot of them he would still get though because in almost all the games he is going to play, he is still going to be the best athlete on the floor, even at the Big Ten level. He has the size and athleticism that translates to this level.

He reminds me quite a bit of Rodney Williams in terms of size, athleticism and skill set. I would prefer Johnson stay and start but I think Fox would be a high level bench player.

He is definitely harder to project compared to most transfers but has heard from over 100 D1 schools including several high majors for a reason.

The problem is he rarely attempts any 2s. Only 16 last season, and 26 this season. He continues to just sit on the 3 point line and take bad 3s.

That's because of where he was played. He shoots 3s or passes off because he appears not to have confidence in his ball handling ability to drive into traffic. When he played inside he was much better. He played inside more often on the defensive end and that's why he led the team in-conference (by a fairly significant margin) on defensive rebound percentage.

Outside of the Iowa game, Johnson only made 6 other 3's the entire season. 6-46 for 13%.

I think Fox is definitely better than Ihnen, and I think he would give us at least what Johnson gave us last season, if not more.
I like Johnson's tenacity and desire to win. Hope he stays.

Based on what? Having seen him actually play, he’s not polished, he’s athletic playing against poor competition. He doesn’t have a solid jump shot that translates to this level where it will be contested consistently. Would I like him on the roster? Yes. He’s a role player though.

Top Bottom