Gophers just beat a team with three 5-Stars, forty-three 4-Stars, and 33 3-Stars

It's not always easy for highly ranked recruits to develop if they are stuck behind a bunch of other four and five star recruits. We get the lower ranked recruits on the field early....and that experience makes them better players down the line.

Honestly, after watching that game, the biggest difference between the two teams is the QB. Our 3-star QB is better than their 5- star. Swap QBs, and Auburn probably wins.

Honestly, after watching that game, the biggest difference between the two teams is the QB. Our 3-star QB is better than their 5- star. Swap QBs, and Auburn probably wins.

Their QB was also a true freshman. What were Morgan's stats as a true freshman?

Their QB was also a true freshman. What were Morgan's stats as a true freshman?

Irrelevant. I was referencing this game, this year. Right now, Morgan is the better QB, and probably the biggest difference between the two teams. We were able to scheme around their dominant DL, but Auburn’s offense was very limited, due to their QB.

Aside from that, I don’t think Nix is ever going to live up to his 5 stars.

Irrelevant. I was referencing this game, this year. Right now, Morgan is the better QB, and probably the biggest difference between the two teams. We were able to scheme around their dominant DL, but Auburn’s offense was very limited, due to their QB.

Aside from that, I don’t think Nix is ever going to live up to his 5 stars.

I don't disagree that Morgan is better right now, and in that game.

But Nix threw for 2500 yds, 16 TDs, 6 INTs in the SEC, beat Alabama, and played in a New Years Day bowl game as a true Freshman. Seems like a pretty good start.

But Nix threw for 2500 yds, 16 TDs, 6 INTs in the SEC, beat Alabama, and played in a New Years Day bowl game as a true Freshman. Seems like a pretty good start.

Yeah, that should be the bare minimum over a 13 game season, considering the talent advantage his team has in most games. I’ve watched him play quite a bit. I’m not impressed. We’ll have to agree to disagree on Nix. I don’t understand how he got 5 stars. He reminds me of the douchebag from Penn State, but I’d take the douchebag if I had to pick one.

Yeah, that should be the bare minimum over a 13 game season, considering the talent advantage his team has in most games. I’ve watched him play quite a bit. I’m not impressed. We’ll have to agree to disagree on Nix. I don’t understand how he got 5 stars. He reminds me of the douchebag from Penn State, but I’d take the douchebag if I had to pick one.

Clifford is also two years older than Nix. Morgan made a significant jump between last season and this one. I bet Nix looks quite a bit better in two years.

The Auburn game sure did expose a deficit in the Gophers game - Kicking.

One thing you can bet about Gopher Recruiting - they attack their deficits. They have been aggressive at improving the ST for instance. It just didn't pan out last season even though they have five kickers and three punters on the roster(see below).

For the 2020 Class, they signed PWO Dragan Kesich the Five-Star recruit and No. 7 ranked kicker in the country according to the Kohl's Kicking Camp. They also signed PWO Grad Transfer Matt Stephenson from Middle Tennessee State who averaged 35.7 yards per punt.

Finally, they went to Australia and got 26 year-old punter Mark Crawford, the No. 1 ranked international punter.

The kicking game can need all the help it can get.

34Brock WalkerK5-10200R-Fr.Sioux Falls, S.D. / Washington
38Michael LantzK5-11180Fr.Fayetteville, Ga. / Starrs Mill High School
48Anders GelecinskyjK6-2200R-Jr.Bloomington, Minn. / KennedyMinnesota State University
97Michael TarbuttK6-0190Gr.Grimsby, Ont. / Canisius High SchoolUCONN
33Grant RyerseK / P6-2215R-So.Woodbury, Minn. / East Ridge
46Alex MelvinP6-4200Gr.Burnet, Texas / BurnetSMU
47Jacob HerbersP6-2215R-Sr.Battle Creek, Mich. / Lakeview
98Tom FoleyP6-5201Fr.Peoria, Ill. / Peoria Notre Dame

Yep, when the opposing kick returner is a track star, who’s parents were both Olympic athletes...don’t kick it to him. If you can’t kick it through the end zone, just shank it out of bounds and give it to them on the 35.

I thought our ability to run the ball down their throat all game long also contributed significantly to our win.

I thought our ability to run the ball down their throat all game long also contributed significantly to our win.

It certainly did, but the RPO game (threat of the pass) made that work. Bo Nix doesn’t have that in his game, so our defense committed to stopping the run, and they did. Did you just start watching football this year?

It certainly did, but the RPO game (threat of the pass) made that work. Bo Nix doesn’t have that in his game, so our defense committed to stopping the run, and they did. Did you just start watching football this year?
Our QB had the good fortune of having two great catches by receivers of his two overthrown balls at critical points in the game.

Yep. The Auburn game was my first ever.

Our QB had the good fortune of having two great catches by receivers of his two overthrown balls at critical points in the game.

Sure that’s part of it too, but I think the throw to TJ in the end zone was thrown to that spot intentionally, because Tyler was well covered. Morgan threw him open, and had confidence in his WR to catch a ball that only he could get to. Could have been a few inches lower? Probably, but that’s nitpicking.

My original point was “swap the two QBs,” and get a different result. I wasn’t trying to downplay the stellar play of the others.

If we really wanted to pick that play apart, we could question why he didn’t hit Mo in the corner of the end zone, but I suppose he was probably the 3rd or 4th option. Plus, it looks like the rush end would have been in Morgan’s face had he tried to go there.

Bo Nix was SEC offensive freshman of the year on a top 15 team. He impressed a lot of people.

Bo Nix was SEC offensive freshman of the year on a top 15 team. He impressed a lot of people.

That’s fine. I’m standing by my own opinion. If he ever lives up to his 5 stars, you can come back and tell me I was wrong.

BTW, he wasn’t just SEC offensive freshman of the year. He was SEC freshman of the year. Stingley got robbed.

That’s fine. I’m standing by my own opinion. If he ever lives up to his 5 stars, you can come back and tell me I was wrong.

BTW, he wasn’t just SEC offensive freshman of the year. He was SEC freshman of the year. Stingley got robbed.

How is being SEC freshman of the year not living up to his 5 stars?

How is being SEC freshman of the year not living up to his 5 stars?

Is that your criteria for 5 star recruits?

Here’s 247’s criteria:

Five-stars (98-110 rating): The top 32 players in the country to mirror the 32 first round picks in the NFL Draft. These are 32 players that we believe are the most likely to be drafted in the first round from each recruiting class. The full list of 32 with five-star ratings typically isn’t complete until the final ranking. Any player with a rating of more than 100 is considered a “franchise player” and one that does not come around in every recruiting class.

Does his play scream first round draft pick? I don’t think so. I suppose he could in the future (although I have my doubts), but we’re talking about this year.

Is that your criteria for 5 star recruits?

Here’s 247’s criteria:

Five-stars (98-110 rating): The top 32 players in the country to mirror the 32 first round picks in the NFL Draft. These are 32 players that we believe are the most likely to be drafted in the first round from each recruiting class. The full list of 32 with five-star ratings typically isn’t complete until the final ranking. Any player with a rating of more than 100 is considered a “franchise player” and one that does not come around in every recruiting class.

Does his play scream first round draft pick? I don’t think so. I suppose he could in the future (although I have my doubts), but we’re talking about this year.

Rarely does a 5 star become a top 32 player in the country as a true freshman. They can't even be drafted until after being in college for 3 years, so why are you trying to use that criteria for this last season?

How many other 5 stars in the SEC were freshman of the year? I guess no other SEC 5 stars fit that criteria either.

Rarely does a 5 star become a top 32 player in the country as a true freshman. They can't even be drafted until after being in college for 3 years, so why are you trying to use that criteria for this last season?

How many other 5 stars in the SEC were freshman of the year? I guess no other SEC 5 stars fit that criteria either.

Because I don’t see anything in his game that leads me to believe he’s going to develop into a 1st round draft pick. Maybe you do? That’s fine. Time will tell. I think they overrated him. OK? Time to move on.

Derek Stingley fits the criteria. He would absolutely be a 1st round pick if freshman could declare, so it’s pretty obvious he’s going to be a 1st rounder when he’s eligible, barring some horrific injury, or something else unforeseen.

Last edited:

Because I don’t see anything in his game that leads me to believe he’s going to develop into a 1st round draft pick. Maybe you do? That’s fine. Time will tell. I think they overrated him. OK? Time to move on.

Derek Stingley fits the criteria. He would absolutely be a 1st round pick if freshman could declare.

Ok, you found one. Who are the other 31 true freshman 5 stars that are first round picks today?

This is PFF’s assessment of Nix’s pro potential. If you view him as a future 1st round pick, I’m not going to argue with you. If it happens, you are free to come back to this thread and throw egg on my face.

26. BO NIX, AUBURN TIGERS
Year: Freshman

Sure, he is a true freshman starter at a blue blood SEC program, but there really isn't much on the field that suggests Nix is going to flip the switch to being a top prospect. Particularly, Nix's accuracy is questionable: 48.1% of his passes 10-plus yards downfield were deemed uncatchable — a figure that ranked 96th out of 104 qualifying QBs.

This is PFF’s assessment of Nix’s pro potential. If you view him as a future 1st round pick, I’m not going to argue with you. If it happens, you are free to come back to this thread and throw egg on my face.

26. BO NIX, AUBURN TIGERS
Year: Freshman

Sure, he is a true freshman starter at a blue blood SEC program, but there really isn't much on the field that suggests Nix is going to flip the switch to being a top prospect. Particularly, Nix's accuracy is questionable: 48.1% of his passes 10-plus yards downfield were deemed uncatchable — a figure that ranked 96th out of 104 qualifying QBs.

Seems like that's all you have been doing

I didn't think he played like a 5 star. A ton of incompletions. Auburn looked like they were running to avoid the pass

Bro Dicks is totally a promising QB. I'd take him over most Gopher QBs I've seen (just not now).

However...

His home vs away numbers are really weird, and we all know what can happen when you assume that a player is bound to get better as time goes on.

And the real question for me is can a staff like Gus and Co... who refused to take the free short passes vs us.... gonna do enough for this guy.

Agree. No one (outside the Nix family) could watch that game and think that Bo Nix was some big time recruit. He looked very average, for that one game. Morgan>Nix GO GOPHERS!

Top Bottom