Gophers in the NIT!!

San Francisco has to travel to Cincinnati and UNLV to Princeton. Looks like the most geographically challenging of all the first round match ups. Wonder why they didn't do UNLV vs San Fran and Princeton against Cincy?

"The 2013-14 Indiana University men's basketball season is over.
The Hoosiers did not receive an invitation to this year's NIT, the 32-team competition one rung below its NCAA counterpart in the college basketball postseason. Indiana was passed over, though Big Ten foes Minnesota and Illinois made the field."

"In 2017, Crean's final season as coach, IU decided against hosting an NIT game but went on the road, losing to Georgia Tech. Crean was fired soon thereafter."
Still trying to figure out how we made it and they didn't.

Not hosted. A neutral court game!-Clem Haskins

From a Pat Reusse 2014 column...FWIW

"It is interesting to look back at Clem's first NIT title in 1993 (which remains officially on the books, unlike 1998). The three opponents in the early rounds were Florida, Oklahoma and Southern Cal … and from major conferences. Throw in the indignation the fans felt over the Gophers not being an NCAA bid, and there was actual NIT fever.
The remodeling of Williams Arena started immediately at the end of the regular season and those three games were played in front of full houses at Target Center (twice) and
Met Center. The Gophers then went to New York and defeated Providence and Georgetown (62-61 in an intriguing final)."

"Clem was getting a bit of heat over his road record back then, particularly from the Star Tribune's beat reporter at the time, Dennis Brackin. In reviewing the season, Clem declared to Brackin that the Gophers had won five "road'' games to capture the '93 NIT.
"Road games?'' Brackin said. "You were playing in front of hometown sellouts in Minneapolis and Bloomington, then on a neutral court … Madison Square Garden. Road games?''
Clem shook his head in dismay over Brackin's stubbornness and tried to explain with simplicity: "Dennis, were those games played in Williams Arena, on our court?''
"No, but … '' Brackin said.
Clem declared victory with a nod and said: "No buts, Dennis. Those were road games.''

I am making the drive from Columbus for the game! I just booked a hotel and now I’m waiting for Butler to release the ticket information. I can’t wait, I’ve always wanted to see Hinkle Fieldhouse and I’m just happy with any sort of postseason basketball!

Quick turn around to play, but hopefully CBJ has talked with all the players to make sure who is and who likely won't be back next year. If any are planning to enter the transfer portal, they should just do so now, so the ones next year can develop and enjoy the postseason play.

Jeez I would have guessed that Matta is in his mid to late 60's by now. Good for him.
The poor guy was the recipient of a butchered back surgery and soldiered through it for several years. That was the beginning of the decline at Ohio State. I can only imagine what it was like to have that kind of pain and try to stay focused on anything, much less the intensity of high major basketball.

I am just going to enjoy an extra game of basketball! At the start of the season, I *hoped* they would improve enough to make the NIT, but wasn't really expecting that. It will be really enjoyable if we can beat Butler and get a chance at Indiana State, who I thought was an NCAA team.

This will be the 5th meeting between Minnesota and Butler. Gophers are 3-1
Last played them at Hinkle, Nov 12, 2019 and lost 64-56
Oturu, Carr, Kalscheur, Willis, Demir were the starters.
35 minutes from the bench with no points. Ouch!

Wow! That's an impressive display of bench futility even for us!

I am making the drive from Columbus for the game! I just booked a hotel and now I’m waiting for Butler to release the ticket information. I can’t wait, I’ve always wanted to see Hinkle Fieldhouse and I’m just happy with any sort of postseason basketball!
Give us a report on the renovations at Hinkle. It looks cool in pics.

Really cool the squad gets to play at historic Hinkle Fieldhouse! What a cool gym. Let's make a run!

We were picked to finish near the basement of the Big Ten and we end up playing in the NIT. Pretty damn proud of this team and CBJ.

And the "near" part was a minority view. I'd say the preseason predictions for last place that I saw ran about 75%/25% for Minnesota over Penn State. II didn't see any other team predicted for last place. I'm almost proud of Penn State too for defying the oddsmakers.

Do people think any current players leaning towards entering the portal would take themselves out of Tomorrow’s game, or wait until after the tournament to announce it?

Do people think any current players leaning towards entering the portal would take themselves out of Tomorrow’s game, or wait until after the tournament to announce it?
That is an interesting question. I started looking up North Texas, but then realized their coach left, so not a good comparison. Now I’m too lazy to do any more research.

This will be the 5th meeting between Minnesota and Butler. Gophers are 3-1
Last played them at Hinkle, Nov 12, 2019 and lost 64-56
Oturu, Carr, Kalscheur, Willis, Demir were the starters.
35 minutes from the bench with no points. Ouch!
What was your favorite Demir moment?

Top Bottom