Gophers Host Penn State Feb 9 & 10 2024

More so than that my hope is to avoid BC in the regionals
100% correct. I think our outside chance of climbing into a top 4 slot is now gone (we needed some help from Notre Dame this weekend, which we didn't get). Still a shot at the #5 overall though. We need to keep winning (duh). And we need MSU to play .500 hockey the rest of the way. That is possible as they have a series against OSU and a series against Bucky. Also could use a strong showing from UMD against Denver. And we'll need some faltering from Maine but that is possible too, with games against UNH and Northeastern (among others) remaining. And then there is conference tournament time. There are too many variables to think about so let's just take care of business, Gophers.

To be the best you better be able to beat the best. Any 2nd round game and later will be hard.

To be the best you better be able to beat the best. Any 2nd round game and later will be hard.
You're not wrong, but BC seems to be a step ahead of the pack, with BU the only other team in their realm. Good chance we need to get through them one way or another, but I wouldn't mind the small chance that someone else takes care of it.

UND in Sioux Falls is just as hard as BC wherever. 80% percent I'd say the Gopher path to FF goes through BC/BU/UND.

UND in Sioux Falls is just as hard as BC wherever. 80% percent I'd say the Gopher path to FF goes through BC/BU/UND.
Disagree completely - I saw us go to Grand Forks and smack around the Hawks without one of our top D-men. Could we have done the same to BC? Maybe, but I'm not convinced UND is much better than us at this point.

Disagree completely - I saw us go to Grand Forks and smack around the Hawks without one of our top D-men. Could we have done the same to BC? Maybe, but I'm not convinced UND is much better than us at this point.
They have one regulation loss since then and it's to BU.

You combine that with the fact SF will be 80%+ Whioux fans

I agree, 92. BC is the best team I have seen this year. And it won't be 80% Sioux fans in South Dakota. MN will have a great showing of fans there if we get placed in that regional. For those inquiring minds... Sioux Falls is closer to Minneapolis than it is to Grand Forks.

We'll see. No fan base travels even close to ND. Also, a bunch of them are in the TC anyways because, you know, civilization.

This team has fewer losses(7) through 30 games than last years team(8).

This team has fewer losses(7) through 30 games than last years team(8).
This year 16 RW - 7 RL rest to OT
Last year 17 RW - 5 RL rest to OT

Worse this year but not too far off

I mean there are so few other possibilities other than Maine or Denver getting into that spot (the MN 1 seed chances are almost gone unless we win out then maybe) that 80% might be low.

I mean there are so few other possibilities other than Maine or Denver getting into that spot (the MN 1 seed chances are almost gone unless we win out then maybe) that 80% might be low.
I can't realistically say it's more than 80% as it would be a second round game against one of those teams and we see almost every year 4 seeds pull of an upset or two.

I can't realistically say it's more than 80% as it would be a second round game against one of those teams and we see almost every year 4 seeds pull of an upset or two.
sure sure. thought you were most just referring to the regional. Then very fair. Since 2005 only once has a 4 seed not won at least one game every year (2022)

sure sure. thought you were most just referring to the regional. Then very fair. Since 2005 only once has a 4 seed not won at least one game every year (2022)
At least we're only responsible for two of those years, right?

This just made me sad to think about - both of those teams were championship caliber rosters.

At least we're only responsible for two of those years, right?

This just made me sad to think about - both of those teams were championship caliber rosters.
Lots of Bob teams on there at St. Cloud (2016, 2018, 2019), but the Gophers make the list 3 times in 2006 (HC), 2013 (Yale), and 2017 (ND).

Lots of Bob teams on there at St. Cloud (2016, 2018, 2019), but the Gophers make the list 3 times in 2006 (HC), 2013 (Yale), and 2017 (ND).
Bob left SCSU roughly minutes after an embarrassing loss as the 1 overall seed in 2018. Then Larson did the same thing the next year.

Lucia should have been gone after 2015-16. I would even say 2014-15 after how disappointing that team was. Wonder who they would have brought in then.

Ah, I had forgotten 2017. Maybe because that team didn't feel as much like a #1 as the other 2. Thanks for the correction.

North Dakota has had a 1 seed many, many times and never lost to a 4. So ya, that would be nice...

North Dakota has had a 1 seed many, many times and never lost to a 4. So ya, that would be nice...
They also don't like when you point out that they have one NCAA tournament win in the last 7 years.

That is interesting. Pehrson has played in more NCAA wins than the rest of their roster combined which is 1 for Gaber and 1 for Albrecht.

Gophers have:
Nevers 6
Nelson 6
Brodzinski 6
Koster 6
Close 5
Pitlick 5
Huglen 5
Snuggerud 3
J. Mittelstadt 3
Lamb 3
Chesley 3
L. Mittelstadt 3
Thomas 3
Kurth 2
Pinoniemi 2
Strobel 1
= 62 NCAA wins games played

11 forwards with at least a win, add in Moore and Clark
4 D with at least a win, add Rinzel (and Fish who has never played in an NCAA game)

Last edited:

I just hope we can make it to the FF. I back us at Xcel over anyone

I just hope we can make it to the FF. I back us at Xcel over anyone

Last season we saw Michigan get beat. Nobody is unbeatable. If the Gophers play like they did against PSU, the opportunity will be there. That's all you can hope for.

In January, #1 Boston College lost to Providence. They lost to Boston University last week. All that matters is sustaining a run.

Last season we saw Michigan get beat. Nobody is unbeatable. If the Gophers play like they did against PSU, the opportunity will be there. That's all you can hope for.

In January, #1 Boston College lost to Providence. They lost to Boston University last week. All that matters is sustaining a run.
Ton matters the matchup as well.

It's part of what I like about this team in that they can play that grinding style (and have learned it suits them very well) which gives many teams fits, especially when whistles get tighter and checking ramps up in the postseason. rather than just run and gun hockey. Add on top of that a bunch of veteran guys and some players that actually play the body and they can beat anyone.

Big weekend coming up to try solidify the 2 seed line for the Gophers (and keep the very outside shot at a 1 alive). PWR probability matrix on CHN went live last night. Gophers have officially hit "lock" status per their algorithm with a 10% chance of getting all the way up to a 1 seed (and avoiding BC and UND who both have about a 95% chance at a 1 as well as BU who has about an 80% chance at a 1).

ND, PSU and OSU all can only get in as AQs now. Michigan only at about 37% chance to make the tournament after being swept by Mich St. and definitely will need a sweep this weekend or those chances will drop to making it only as the AQ.

Ton matters the matchup as well.

It's part of what I like about this team in that they can play that grinding style (and have learned it suits them very well) which gives many teams fits, especially when whistles get tighter and checking ramps up in the postseason. rather than just run and gun hockey. Add on top of that a bunch of veteran guys and some players that actually play the body and they can beat anyone.

Big weekend coming up to try solidify the 2 seed line for the Gophers (and keep the very outside shot at a 1 alive). PWR probability matrix on CHN went live last night. Gophers have officially hit "lock" status per their algorithm with a 10% chance of getting all the way up to a 1 seed (and avoiding BC and UND who both have about a 95% chance at a 1 as well as BU who has about an 80% chance at a 1).

ND, PSU and OSU all can only get in as AQs now. Michigan only at about 37% chance to make the tournament after being swept by Mich St. and definitely will need a sweep this weekend or those chances will drop to making it only as the AQ.
The thought of putting a nail in Michigan's coffin when they come to Mariucci in a couple weeks sure is exciting.

The thought of putting a nail in Michigan's coffin when they come to Mariucci in a couple weeks sure is exciting.
Not only that but also give a huge boost toward a 7 or maybe 6 seed.

Michigan has come into Mariucci and shut up the crowd in two conference title games in a row. Semis and Final likely won't be at Mariucci this year and a series against PSU won't get that rocking. Point being: It's time for a little payback against Michigan at the end of a year.

Top Bottom