Gophers hire TE coach per Ryan Burns.

I’d like to see way less of 87 next year. He’s no threat in the passing game and always having two tight ends crowds of the box. If our quarterback is actually any good it’d be nice to spread the defense out a little bit more often versus saying hey, we’re going to run it right up the middle go ahead and stop us which is just a silly philosophy and won’t work well enough for us to best a lot of the better teams.

from what Ryan Burns said last year, Sowder was a real bust. 4 weeks into the season and they had already pulled Koehler down from upstairs to work with the TE's.

I think Brian Sheehan is the guy they pulled down to coach TEs this past season about a month into the regular season. He was a quality control guy, came over from Hamline.

Koehler (I believe) will be new to the tight ends now, as I don't think he worked with them this past season. Koehler does have previous head coach, OC, and QB coaching experience.

Nice write up from the Senior Bowl. Brevyn Spann-Ford is possibly the biggest tight end of the bunch, listed at 6’7”, 269 pounds. His ability as a blocker is what will get him on the field. While Minnesota also had him out wide, his strength and monster frame make him best used as an in-line tight end at the next level. His soft hands and natural route-running ability make him a versatile threat in the receiving game, but don’t expect a lot of separation due to his lack of speed/quickness. Even without that separation, Spann-Ford should still be an asset in the passing game due to his wide frame boxing out would-be defenders. Curious how he shows @ the NFL combine.

Top Bottom