Gophers hire TE coach per Ryan Burns.

It's interesting to even have a special coach just for a small handful of players, who aren't QB's.

On paper, you could have TE's spend half their time with the OL on blocking, and half their time with the WR's on receiving.

But anyway, so I like the idea of using it as an excuse/opportunity to bring in someone who has lots of experience overall and can weigh in on a lot of stuff in the offensive staff meeting room.

It is Eric Koehler. Has coached for over 20 years, 10 of them as an OC. Lots of experience coming to the staff on that side of the ball with this hire. Was OC at Miami (OH) and Grand Valley State.
Was already on staff as a "senior offensive analyst".

Did we have a dedicated TE coach before? Not seeing one on the team website.

TE is a bit of a hybrid position - have to be able to block, but also have to be able to run pass routes and catch the ball.

plus, I think (or suspect) that the TE coach often takes on other duties including recruiting.

from what Ryan Burns said last year, Sowder was a real bust. 4 weeks into the season and they had already pulled Koehler down from upstairs to work with the TE's.

As TE coach he will probably be the highest paid guy in U history with that name, surpassing the former president. That’s how it works in the Big 18 era, right?

Hopefully we can involve the TEs more in the passing game moving forward. Anything Iowa can do Minnesota should do better. TE play makes or breaks an offense.
Huh? I’d rank it below QB, OL, RB, and WR play as far as making or breaking an offense. Using your Iowa example, great TE play, terrible offense.

It's interesting to even have a special coach just for a small handful of players, who aren't QB's.

On paper, you could have TE's spend half their time with the OL on blocking, and half their time with the WR's on receiving.

But anyway, so I like the idea of using it as an excuse/opportunity to bring in someone who has lots of experience overall and can weigh in on a lot of stuff in the offensive staff meeting room.
That would work as long as the TEs still have their own room. Every position group absolutely must have a room!

Not what I thought when I read the title. Thought a different TE coach was coming home and my chili got hot

Was already on staff as a "senior offensive analyst".

Did we have a dedicated TE coach before? Not seeing one on the team website.
PJ is elite at promoting analysts to B10 coaches. We have a FAMILY of recent analyst types locking horns with coaches who actually are elite. Going into Saturdays with one hand tied behind our backs.

PJ is elite at promoting analysts to B10 coaches. We have a FAMILY of recent analyst types locking horns with coaches who actually are elite. Going into Saturdays with one hand tied behind our backs.
Koehler has OC experience at Miami of Ohio. Not like he's only been an analyst.

Speaking of TE's. Based on athleticism alone (and not last year's performance), will Spann-Ford get a shot at the NFL Combine, and if he does, will he grade out highly? Talk about a buzz kill last year. Many sites had him listed as preseason First Team All BIG and All American status.

Speaking of TE's. Based on athleticism alone (and not last year's performance), will Spann-Ford get a shot at the NFL Combine, and if he does, will he grade out highly? Talk about a buzz kill last year. Many sites had him listed as preseason First Team All BIG and All American status.
Gopher Nation was excited when he was coming back for his 6th year. We were all expecting more of the offense going thru him. The quarterback play really let him and us down. Great TEs are a young inexperienced QBs best friend, didn't happen last season. Looking forward to his exciting athletic plays in the NFL. Should be a 2nd day pick.

a good TE can certainly help an offense - IF he is part of a well-designed passing scheme AND the QB can execute the throws on the type of routes that TE's typically run - curls, drags, etc. also helps if the OL can pass-protect with 5 blockers, allowing the TE to get out on routes.

I think it is fair to say that the 2023 Gopher offense lacked some of those components.

Right, the last coach had talented TEs. Shocked & disappointed Brevyn Spann-Ford was not more involved in the passing game last season.
One has to catch the balls thrown to them to be involved.

As in most relationships, it takes 2 to tango

I assume there is more focus on an effective TE coach based on the fact that Brosmer appears to like to use his Tight Ends. Below are his TE stats at UNH last year:

1705213296973.png

It's safe to say we would all be very happy if we could see that type of production out of the TE position next year.

Looking forward to the improvement & involvement of the TEs in 2024. The TE group is one to watch this spring.

Top Bottom