Gophers have to take it easy with McKnight; Shortell impresses --PP M Fuller -- Link

Jon

Reaction score
"I've been hearing what guys have been saying," Limegrover said. "They've talked about him from the standpoint of his athletic ability, the arm and being able to make some throws and those things. The guys have been really impressed with him. Especially the young offensive linemen really like his demeanor. They feel like he's a real well-grounded kid. He's a kid that has the right demeanor and right personality that you want in a quarterback. I'm excited to throw him in and see where he fits with everything."

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2011/07/gophers-have-to-take-it-easy-w.html

The word on Lamonte Edwards was he was ready to go by the end of the spring, but again caution. And Gjere was recovering from a concussion. Both should be ready for the fall. The right tackle position will be a battle.

Good to hear about Shortell. I'm very excited to see what both he and Gray have to offer under this new regime. Interesting that there was no mention of Alipate competing for the back up job.

Yeah, it's interesting.

I'm getting the vibe that there might be something going on with our current backup QBs on the roster. Either Kill and Co were simply not impressed by Moses and Parish or there might be something more going on here.

If you couple that with how hard we have seemed to be recruiting the QB position, it just raises some eyebrows.

I think we can stop mentioning Moses, he clearly isn't in the plans and should be buried somewhere or released from his scholarship for someone else.

I think we can stop mentioning Moses, he clearly isn't in the plans and should be buried somewhere or released from his scholarship for someone else.

If no one else will I suppose I will call you the a$$hole. This guy is a homer and loves the Gophers and has given the majority of his college years to the U. You may have been joking but I cringe when I read comments like this. Yeah it's unfortunate that he doesn't fit the New coaches scheme and that he may never play but it seems pretty effed up and thankless to put it the way you just did.

If no one else will I suppose I will call you the a$$hole. This guy is a homer and loves the Gophers and has given the majority of his college years to the U. You may have been joking but I cringe when I read comments like this. Yeah it's unfortunate that he doesn't fit the New coaches scheme and that he may never play but it seems pretty effed up and thankless to put it the way you just did.

I'll take it. People get cut from teams, it happens. If he doesn't lose the weight and do the things to stay on the team "his love" means nothing but an opportunity to wear his gear around campus.

I want to win football games. Period. Adam Lueck can show his gopher love without a scholarship.

I agree, you don't "cut" a kid from college football. It's a grossly different scenario than being cut from a pro or HS team. If a kid doesn't work out (which we don't even know with Moses yet, he'll be a SO next season), you don't cut a kid. If you like that kind of stuff, you should just follow the NFL, and I don't even mean that in a snarky way.

Like Coach Kill said, if you make a mistake with recruiting, you are stuck with it for 4 years. It's implicit in that that cutting a kid who won't pay dividends is morally atrocious.

There is another option here -- position change. If he truly doesn't fit the QB position in Kill's scheme, then I suspect there are places he could help the team, at a minimum providing much needed depth. It's possible that Moses would not be happy with such a switch and decide to move on. Only time will tell. It's all speculation at this point.

There is another option here -- position change. If he truly doesn't fit the QB position in Kill's scheme, then I suspect there are places he could help the team, at a minimum providing much needed depth. It's possible that Moses would not be happy with such a switch and decide to move on. Only time will tell. It's all speculation at this point.

We do need help on the defensive line...

Did ANYONE of you see the spring game? I know Shortell wasn't able to be involved for obvious reasons, but from what I saw and heard from coachs was that Alipate has a big time advantage over Shortell because it was MOSES that had a great spring game.. NOT Gray.

Your speculation about Shortell and Alipate, I think, are way off base.

I'll take it. People get cut from teams, it happens. If he doesn't lose the weight and do the things to stay on the team "his love" means nothing but an opportunity to wear his gear around campus.

I want to win football games. Period. Adam Lueck can show his gopher love without a scholarship.

Wow! I'm impressed with your cyberspace toughness. Very manly.

I appear to be in the minority, but I don't have a problem with what CrocShots is saying here - maybe a little more aggressive than I would, but I don't think he's way off base. Just because a kid is from the home state and signed to play with his home school, does not, and should not, afford him special provileges. There is an expectation that a kid is going to do everything that is expected of him - perform, be a good student, a good person, and to WORK at getting better at each of these things.

I don't know anything about Alipate personally, but there was commentary in the paper at the beginning of the year that the coaches had had a sitdown with Alipate and told him he needed to get in shape. However, didn't he weigh in at over 280lbs at the first spring practice? That is beyond ridiculous. And while yes, it is not very often that a coach will pull a scholoarship, there are other things coaches can do to "motivate" a player, or get him to leave.

Also, because Moses is so big, people assume it's just that easy to have him move positions. People, at the D1 level, it's not that easy! OL? After not playing OLine since probably elementary school, do people really thing he's going to all of a sudden have the technique (can be taught, but would take a TON of time to learn and master) and mentality to all of a sudden be able to compete against BigTen talent, either against opposing DLinemen or for playing time internally, that has been playing physical, aggressive positions for years (not QB)?

Tight End? Again, at 280 lbs, he won't be able to run at a Big Ten level, and thus better be able to block. Is he willing to learn how, and have the mentality/toughness to do it?

And by the way, forget the spring game; it really means NOTHING. Does anybody remember who the defensive "star" of the 2010 spring game was? CB Jimmie Johnson, a fine special teamer, but not a regular contributor in any way to the defense.

I would love for Alipate to be in the mix for a backup QB role, and eventually a starter (when MG graduates), but he has to earn that right/privilege by working for it, which, based upon what the coaches supposedly relayed to him as far as their expectations for him, he doesn't appear to have followed through.

Yes, there's time for him, but it's up to him, and if he doesn't follow through, then while the coaches may not "pull" his scholarship, they can make things pretty miserable for him.

Who know? Perhaps he does turn it around, and that would be awesome. From all of the reports I've seen and from the recruits that have committed, it doesn't seem like he's in the plans, because he should be the next one in line.

I apologize for my agressiveness.

128892917365021703.jpg

Attachments

• 128892917365021703.jpg
    128892917365021703.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 2

During the spring on 'CCO a caller asked Coach Kill if Alipate would be moved to another position. His paraphrased answer was "Right now, Moses wants to play quarterback." The way he framed it led me to believe that Coach Kill also thought Alipate would help the team more at a different position. I think Coach Kill would rather the player decide to change positions rather than it be forced upon the player. I think Alipate could be one of the "up to 10" attrition players this year. He may decide at fall camp that is he behind Gray, Shortell and Parrish this year with Nelson and Leidner coming in next year. He may decide if he wants to play he will have to change positions or transfer.

Problem with switching positions is to what position? Did he play any other position in HS? It takes a certain mentality to be a tough defender or OL. Does he have that and how long would it take for him to learn the position. If he "wants" to play DL, he could be an asset by next year

If Shortell and Parish are ahead of Alipate on the depth chart this spring, I think we need to admit that josh087 was right and we were wrong. I remember he kept on telling us that he didn't think Alipate was a Big 10 QB (and he did announcing, or something like that at Jefferson's games). I kept on looking at those four stars and hearing about his gun of an arm, and hoping that josh087 wasn't right.

Shortell starting QB; Gray starting WR and backup QB -- I hope Shortell is ready

I still hope Shortell beats out Gray for the QB spot this fall and Gray and McKnight are our starting wide receivers. Gray would still be the number 2 QB unless someone else steps up. If this happens we would be better this year and much better next year.

I still hope Shortell beats out Gray for the QB spot this fall and Gray and McKnight are our starting wide receivers. Gray would still be the number 2 QB unless someone else steps up. If this happens we would be better this year and much better next year.

Huh?

And by the way, forget the spring game; it really means NOTHING. Does anybody remember who the defensive "star" of the 2010 spring game was? CB Jimmie Johnson, a fine special teamer, but not a regular contributor in any way to the defense.

Jimmie Johnson was NOT the star of last year's spring game. He made some big hits, but that's it. Huge difference between a 'star', being productive and making some big hits.

Just because the reporters report on Shortell, doesn't mean he's a lock for backup. That was my point. No one asks coaches about Alipate, thus we don't hear from or about him.

Never, ever write off a spring game just because it's not guaranteed indicative of a certain players future success. You can down play it.. but to say 'forget' it is very naive. It's not about looking at a players stats during spring games and practices.. It's about looking at their intangibles, footwork, mechanics, etc.

There would be nothing wrong with coach meeting privately with Moses A. and saying "Here's how the cards are stacked against you," and then offering him three options: 1. Stay at QB and be a deep backup, 2. Try switching positions, or 3. Transfer to another school and we'll release you from your scholarship. You never know what the kid might decide. The poster who said that you don't cut kids from the team in college was right, but if the coach were to present the situation to him this way I think it would be perfectly honorable on both sides.

Having said all that, young Alipate is big and strong and he has a knack for throwing a football. It might not be a bad idea to keep a kid like that around, even if he is carrying extra weight.

I said it two years ago, and I'll say it again. Moses comes from a really good family, and is a good kid, but he was never a hard worker. And that alone won't cut it with Kill.

There would be nothing wrong with coach meeting privately with Moses A. and saying "Here's how the cards are stacked against you," and then offering him three options: 1. Stay at QB and be a deep backup, 2. Try switching positions, or 3. Transfer to another school and we'll release you from your scholarship. You never know what the kid might decide. The poster who said that you don't cut kids from the team in college was right, but if the coach were to present the situation to him this way I think it would be perfectly honorable on both sides.

Having said all that, young Alipate is big and strong and he has a knack for throwing a football. It might not be a bad idea to keep a kid like that around, even if he is carrying extra weight.

Yep, this is very well put. I don't think any of us who would find it morally atrocious to cut a college kid would have any problem with this whatsoever. In fact, it's probably the right thing to do and it is an entirely different thing than cutting a kid.

If you look at guys like Shady and JD Pride, they are in somewhat similar positions to the Moses hypothetical (it's all completely hypothetical at this point). They were local kids who were obviously going to be buried in the depth chart and were told that they had to switch positions. They've both decided that they would like to stick it out at the U.

As far as Moses, I would have no problem with Kill telling him that they were going to switch him to TE or wherever and that it didn't look like he would fit the team as a QB. I'm not saying that's the case with Moses as he was pretty impressive in the spring but if that's what it came to, that's perfectly fine (in my book).

Jimmie Johnson was NOT the star of last year's spring game. He made some big hits, but that's it. Huge difference between a 'star', being productive and making some big hits.

Just because the reporters report on Shortell, doesn't mean he's a lock for backup. That was my point. No one asks coaches about Alipate, thus we don't hear from or about him.

Never, ever write off a spring game just because it's not guaranteed indicative of a certain players future success. You can down play it.. but to say 'forget' it is very naive. It's not about looking at a players stats during spring games and practices.. It's about looking at their intangibles, footwork, mechanics, etc.[/QUOTE]

Boy, you must have seen a lot more than not just me, but seemingly the Gopher coaching staff since they haven't exactly gone out of their way to compliment Alipate. I was there. I saw Alipate show a strong arm and complete a few passes against the 2nd and 3rd strings of a defense that was, I believe, last in the Big Ten last year?

I'm a huge Marquise Gray guy. He comes across as someone who works very hard, wants to get better, and, oh yeah, he is freakishly athletic. He also looked AWFUL throwing the ball in the spring game (and really all fall), yet I think he is still the guy, right? I'm not basing my opinion of Alipate off just a spring game, I'm basing it on the fact that the Gopher coaches have what, four new QBs coming in? Is that not a sign to you, and everyone else, that they don't see it in Alipate?

And by the way, calm down.

Oh, and I personally have never said Shortell is going to be the backup. No matter how good, nobody wants a true freshman QB starting or even as the number 2. Sometimes it has to be the case, but it's not ideal. And if it does happen, with Nelson, Leidner, and whoever else coming on board, it won't look good for Alipate.

As much as I enjoy GH and most of the contributors, some of the things that are said here are just amazing. It's a site for Gopher fans and yet here are a bunch of people acting as jury and judge on a guy based on rumor, speculation, some plays in a spring game, and some reading of tea leaves. They're more than willing to have him leave, move him to a new position, or bury him somewhere (whatever the hell that meant) all before fall practice has even started without any of them knowing what's really going on. Ya, he might be a bust, or, he might some day be a contributor. At this point, it shouldn't matter. What is known is that he hasn't screwed up and that he made a commitment to the "U", which, given our sad last 50 years, deserves some loyalty, not a load of crap.

Parents, friends, recruits, their parents, and probably quite a few players check this site out. I know this isn't junior high and blah, blah, blah, etc., but if any of this has any effect at all, it can only be to give a negative view of some of the Gophers' strongest fans. Not exactly a selling point.

Sort of interesting that "Mr. Not Minnesota Nice", who's so critical, chose to apologize for being too "aggressive". Sounds better to him, I guess, than apologizing for being a jerk, even though he obviously prides himself on telling it like it is.

Never, ever write off a spring game just because it's not guaranteed indicative of a certain players future success. You can down play it.. but to say 'forget' it is very naive. It's not about looking at a players stats during spring games and practices.. It's about looking at their intangibles, footwork, mechanics, etc.

Boy, you must have seen a lot more than not just me, but seemingly the Gopher coaching staff since they haven't exactly gone out of their way to compliment Alipate. I was there. I saw Alipate show a strong arm and complete a few passes against the 2nd and 3rd strings of a defense that was, I believe, last in the Big Ten last year?

I'm a huge Marquise Gray guy. He comes across as someone who works very hard, wants to get better, and, oh yeah, he is freakishly athletic. He also looked AWFUL throwing the ball in the spring game (and really all fall), yet I think he is still the guy, right? I'm not basing my opinion of Alipate off just a spring game, I'm basing it on the fact that the Gopher coaches have what, four new QBs coming in? Is that not a sign to you, and everyone else, that they don't see it in Alipate?

And by the way, calm down.

Where have they gone out of their way to praise any player on the team (outside of Gray)? They are simply responding to reporters and their questions. I'm not saying that because Alipate was one of the bright spots this spring that he's the 2nd stringer (btw, he was running the 2nd team offense vs the 2nd team defense, FYI). All I'm saying is his performance in spring ball was on par with any other QB on the team (again, outside of Gray).

I'm just tired of people writing him off as a non-player when he had as good of a spring as anyone. The REAL practices haven't even started yet, so all this is moot anyway.

As much as I enjoy GH and most of the contributors, some of the things that are said here are just amazing. It's a site for Gopher fans and yet here are a bunch of people acting as jury and judge on a guy based on rumor, speculation, some plays in a spring game, and some reading of tea leaves. They're more than willing to have him leave, move him to a new position, or bury him somewhere (whatever the hell that meant) all before fall practice has even started without any of them knowing what's really going on. Ya, he might be a bust, or, he might some day be a contributor. At this point, it shouldn't matter. What is known is that he hasn't screwed up and that he made a commitment to the "U", which, given our sad last 50 years, deserves some loyalty, not a load of crap.

Parents, friends, recruits, their parents, and probably quite a few players check this site out. I know this isn't junior high and blah, blah, blah, etc., but if any of this has any effect at all, it can only be to give a negative view of some of the Gophers' strongest fans. Not exactly a selling point.

Sort of interesting that "Mr. Not Minnesota Nice", who's so critical, chose to apologize for being too "aggressive". Sounds better to him, I guess, than apologizing for being a jerk, even though he obviously prides himself on telling it like it is.

This was my point. We are making waaaaay too premature judgement on a guy we've barely seen. This post is exactly what I was trying to say, only far more eloquently.

To all who want/think Shortell to start...
I, like pretty much every Gopher fan, is very excited about Shortell being the future for us at quarterback. I think QB is set for the future. Shortell is going to be excellent down the road, but he does not really have a prayer at starting this year unless Gray goes down. And that's not a knock on Shortell, as I said I am excited to have him. Everything I have read about him has been excellent, and he will be excellent down the road. He will contend and might end up with #2, but he won't end up as the starter, because...
He needs to adapt to Kill and the intensity of D1 football
I don't think Shortell will be ready for D1 speed of play
He needs to get timing down with receivers
He needs to learn Kill's offense
He needs to earn the trust of his teammates and establish himself as a leader.

Those are tall tasks.

To all who want/think Shortell to start...
I, like pretty much every Gopher fan, is very excited about Shortell being the future for us at quarterback. I think QB is set for the future. Shortell is going to be excellent down the road, but he does not really have a prayer at starting this year unless Gray goes down. And that's not a knock on Shortell, as I said I am excited to have him. Everything I have read about him has been excellent, and he will be excellent down the road. He will contend and might end up with #2, but he won't end up as the starter, because...
He needs to adapt to Kill and the intensity of D1 football
I don't think Shortell will be ready for D1 speed of play
He needs to get timing down with receivers
He needs to learn Kill's offense
He needs to earn the trust of his teammates and establish himself as a leader.

Those are tall tasks.

Well, he is a tall QB:clap:

Top Bottom