Gophers have finished below UW in the Big Ten standings for 21 consecutive seasons

BleedGopher

Reaction score
I knew it was bad, but I didn't realize it was THIS bad. My gosh:

There are a lot of reasons for Minnesota fans to hate UW, starting with the fact the Badgers have owned the series over the past two decades. The Gophers have finished below UW in the Big Ten standings for 21 consecutive seasons, with the Badgers going 29-8 in head-to-head meetings during that stretch.

It probably stings even more for Minnesota to watch its homegrown talent end up in UW uniforms, a pipeline that includes Davison and a pair of former Lakeville North teammates, junior forward Nate Reuvers and freshman forward Tyler Wahl, who also are starters for the Badgers.

Go Gophers!!

Bleed did we really need another Badger centric thread topic?!?! I was all too aware of this. Had a shot in 2017 if the Gophers had won the Season Finale in Madison.

Here comes the ‘Bleed is a Badger operative’ posts.

Feel free to add the 2020 min kids to the badger list. It’s brutal how we cannot get our tall white kids to play at the u.

Yeah, I know

It's been a harsh streak almost as bad as losing axe 14 straight times

Thanks for reminder!

10 years is a problem, 20+ years is a clear indication you are not doing something right.

This was kicked off by the self imposed punishment in 1999 punishment and subsequent NCAA sanctions in 2000. The 5 years of sanctions effectively killed the program and any chance of getting players locally or nationally during those years. I would also say that both Michigan State and Wisconsin gained the most from Minnesota players leaving town during that same period. It is no surprise that both had some great runs during that period.

Painful to think how much damage was done by Clem letting this go under his watch. Cause I really liked Clem.

Painful to think about Ganglehoff doing the dirty work and then coming out looking like the whistle blower.

Painful to think about the Administration for not drawing the line at a year of sanctions and doing battle with the NCAA (which any other solid administration would have done as the NCAA would have quickly negotiated a middle ground which would have perhaps saved some of the downside).

Painful to think on how the stuff that was provide by ganglehoff was a nonfactor to the players education - They could have done the work themselves - they were all capable.

Painful to think about all the years (and I had season tickets for every last one of them) of watching Monson, Tubby and now Pitino make a good effort to overcome the legacy they inherited but not be quite able to raise the program to the level that most of us would like to see.

Painful to think that the only people hurt by that whole situation was the fans- who did nothing wrong but still got penalized.

The GOOD NEWS is that the administration has finally found the will to support these programs both with coaches and athletic facilities and leadership (Lynch situation excepted). We have had some progress over the years and a season competing for the Big Ten Title and a nice run in the NCAA would be all that is needed to get some of that late 90s mojo back. The last 2 years we had the tools to do just that but could not get them all on the court together for one reason or another. This year looks to be close and a good run this year would make 3 out of 4 in the big dance. Next year could be it. Take heart guys, whether under Pitino or not we will see some really good years soon. Its coming. I believe it.

He inherited one horrific situation but was a poor hire. The real mistake was hiring a rampant cheater named Clem Haskins.
Or perhaps if you are going hire a cheater make sure that he actually cheats in a way that helps the team. Because I am not sure anything ganglehoff did for the players would not have just been done by the players themselves if she went on vacation.

You know, something like Kentucky or maybe something that Calipari could pull off at any of his schools...

[relax folks, this one's satire]

Monson mistake cost us dearly.

How so? He took over the program at the lowest point in our history and gave us a few solid seasons. Nobody was going to succeed quickly taking over what he did. Didn't totally get the ship back on course, however he ran a clean program which was what we needed at that point. Deserved to be fired when he was, but that doesn't change what he did for this program. I'll never be mad at Monson for what he did here.

How so? He took over the program at the lowest point in our history and gave us a few solid seasons. Nobody was going to succeed quickly taking over what he did. Didn't totally get the ship back on course, however he ran a clean program which was what we needed at that point. Deserved to be fired when he was, but that doesn't change what he did for this program. I'll never be mad at Monson for what he did here.
Agree with every word of that.

No matter the 8-ball the sanctions put us behind, there's no way a blind squirrel shouldn't be able to stumble on an acorn in 21 years. We simply have been incompetent in hiring the right people and/or putting them in a position to succeed, and Wisconsin has made one good decision after another and done practically everything right. There's no other way to frame this.

And if people are going to claim that this run is on the verge of coming to an end because Gard is clearly not the superhuman coach and program builder that Bennett and Ryan were, that's what people here have been saying in one form or another for about...21 years. At some point, you have to put up or shut up. Gard may be a downgrade from Bo, but so far he's kept this dominance over the Gophers rolling, and be careful about badmouthing Gard, because he's still been kicking Pitino's ass, so what does that say about Richard?

Can we blame Tubby then?

Top Bottom