Gophers have best home field advantage in Big Ten

I was responding to Taji34's post saying that TCF was a home field advantage and you then started arguing with my post about other stuff.
That's fair. I took it as you were justifying us as tops in B1G. No worries. Like I said, you're a good poster on here so I don't wanna argue.

As I tried to indicate with some stats, Home teams in general win a majority of their games.

So, for me at least, the question of "home field advantage" means this -

does your team's home stadium/fan environment provide your team with some additional advantage over and above the basic advantage of being the home team?

I guess I do not see the Gophers having that type of extra or special advantage.

looked something up -
this is announced attendance (as in tickets sold) for recent seasons - listed by % of capacity:
2016 - 86.2%
2017 - 87.3%
2018- 74.6%
2019 - 90.9%
2020 - covid restrictions

again - that is tickets sold - NOT actual bodies in seats.
the best season in recent years was still only at about 91% of capacity.

I just don't see how that translates into some intrinsic home-field advantage when every camera shot of the stadium shows empty seats. Even if (almost) everyone is standing up for 3rd downs......

As I tried to indicate with some stats, Home teams in general win a majority of their games.

So, for me at least, the question of "home field advantage" means this -

does your team's home stadium/fan environment provide your team with some additional advantage over and above the basic advantage of being the home team?

I guess I do not see the Gophers having that type of extra or special advantage.

looked something up -
this is announced attendance (as in tickets sold) for recent seasons - listed by % of capacity:
2016 - 86.2%
2017 - 87.3%
2018- 74.6%
2019 - 90.9%
2020 - covid restrictions

again - that is tickets sold - NOT actual bodies in seats.
the best season in recent years was still only at about 91% of capacity.

I just don't see how that translates into some intrinsic home-field advantage when every camera shot of the stadium shows empty seats. Even if (almost) everyone is standing up for 3rd downs......
Those averages can be skewed by low attendance for the non-con games. Big Ten attendance is generally better.

Top Bottom