Gophers have best home field advantage in Big Ten

swingman

Reaction score
The Action Network one of few oddsmakers that does the work on true home field advantage versus just assigning a standard 3 or 2.5.

Their research puts Huntington worth 3.0 points, best in the Big Ten and 22nd in nation. Gophs 58.8% against the spread at home since 2016.

Road games this year:

Boulder at 2.4
West Lafayette at 1.9
Evanston at 1.9
Kinnick at 2.3
Bloomington at 2.9

Did not expect that...
I think it's some nonsense logic going on here. "Against the spread" is what they are basing it on. Well, if you're a 20 point underdog and you only lose by 19, blah blah blah, plus "the spread" is going to vary by who you schedule.

Did home field advantage do anything for us in those non-conf games in 2019? I don't think anyone fears coming to our stadium. I doubt we're top 50.

I think it's some nonsense logic going on here. "Against the spread" is what they are basing it on. Well, if you're a 20 point underdog and you only lose by 19, blah blah blah, plus "the spread" is going to vary by who you schedule.

Did home field advantage do anything for us in those non-conf games in 2019? I don't think anyone fears coming to our stadium. I doubt we're top 50.
The home field advantage might have won us those games in 2019??

The home field advantage might have won us those games in 2019??
Yeah, *might*, as in, we don't know. There are legit stadiums/crowds out there that DO give their team an advantage, our place isn't one of them.

The data more closely measures performance vs. expectations, and I'm guessing if they made a similar "best road teams" list, it would look similar. A lot of the teams at the top outperformed low expectations based on their historical reputation.

Yeah, *might*, as in, we don't know. There are legit stadiums/crowds out there that DO give their team an advantage, our place isn't one of them.
I’m going to go ahead and disagree with you there.

Minnesota plays and has played marketable better at home than on the road since the move to TCF and even before that

losing at home doesn’t mean you don’t have a home field advantage. It means you don’t have a good team

55329401.jpg

I’m going to go ahead and disagree with you there.

Minnesota plays and has played marketable better at home than on the road since the move to TCF and even before that

losing at home doesn’t mean you don’t have a home field advantage. It means you don’t have a good team
Well, you provided a better response that Word did, so I'll reply to this one. : - )

Maybe we're looking at it from two different angles? I tend to think of it like the 12th man in Seattle, or the Packers getting all the calls in Lambeau - that to me is home field advantage. We have nothing remotely close to those. I would think the "white out" with 100,000 fans for Penn State as home field advantage. Or maybe some of the more northern ACC teams having to head into FSU's stadium when the heat and humidity is through the roof and not what the opponents are used to.

Now if you want to say we have home field advantage because we do better in the bank, that's just a different connotation that what I was using, so maybe that's why we disagree? Otherwise, what does our stadium offer, unless we played into December against southern schools....

Tried to find some data on home field advantage - which mostly comes down to how often home teams win their games. couldn't find anything specific on MN. here's what I came up with.

According to ESPN Stats & Information Group, home favorites won 78.3 percent of games from 2008 to 2019

Across the entire FBS, on average, teams had a 20.3% better record at home (62.8%) than on the road (42.5%) from 2006-16.

BIG TEN

Conference Average:
18.2% advantage at home

Biggest Advantage: Michigan – 26.8%

59-21 (73.8%) home vs. 24-27 (47%) away

Smallest Advantage: Northwestern – 2.1%

42-31 (57.5%) home vs. 31-25 (55.4%) away

Good stuff SON. I thought Michigan would be up there, didn't know they'd be #1. NW at the bottom doesn't surprise me, how often do you hear the crowd there on tv?

All I know is that opponents have reported that TCF can be a tough place to play when it is full (I remember reading it in an article or something. Maybe something from a previous B1G media days?). The problem is, due to recent history, TCF is very rarely actually full.

All I know is that opponents have reported that TCF can be a tough place to play when it is full (I remember reading it in an article or something. Maybe something from a previous B1G media days?). The problem is, due to recent history, TCF is very rarely actually full.
Yes. When we have a sellout or close to it, it's a tough place to play. Definite home field advantage.

Yes. When we have a sellout or close to it, it's a tough place to play. Definite home field advantage.
Isn't that true of most places? If you replace "sellout" with "full capacity"? I say that because Nebraska still has "sell outs" but it's not a full stadium. Nonetheless, I don't think ours is any more special than anywhere else. If you're at full capacity, it's because the fans are jacked. Nothing unique to MN here.

(Now I'm sure someone will try and find one counter example - like maybe Utah or BYU has full capacity and their fans just sit on their hands all game and smile, I dunno. I'm just not buying the argument that our home field is better than average.)

It’s the sunny side advantage versus the freezing cold and windy shady side thing.

Its the Dilly Bar Dan intimidation factor. Bud Grant approves.

Isn't that true of most places? If you replace "sellout" with "full capacity"? I say that because Nebraska still has "sell outs" but it's not a full stadium. Nonetheless, I don't think ours is any more special than anywhere else. If you're at full capacity, it's because the fans are jacked. Nothing unique to MN here.

(Now I'm sure someone will try and find one counter example - like maybe Utah or BYU has full capacity and their fans just sit on their hands all game and smile, I dunno. I'm just not buying the argument that our home field is better than average.)
I will say it again. We have a big home field advantage when we have a full or nearly full stadium. Are you disagreeing with that?

I will say it again. We have a big home field advantage when we have a full or nearly full stadium. Are you disagreeing with that?
Word for word, no I'm not. I'm disagreeing at the idea that our home field advantage is the best in the big ten, which is what this thread is about. 100,000+ for the "white out" Penn State games has to be more of an advantage. I'd also consider Camp Randall and the big house to be better when they are packed as well.

To recap: home field advantage? Yes. Top in the B1G? NO.

Word for word, no I'm not. I'm disagreeing at the idea that our home field advantage is the best in the big ten, which is what this thread is about. 100,000+ for the "white out" Penn State games has to be more of an advantage. I'd also consider Camp Randall and the big house to be better when they are packed as well.

To recap: home field advantage? Yes. Top in the B1G? NO.
I was never comparing us to other stadiums. That seems to be your thing. I am just saying we have a home field advantage. The Penn State game as case in point. Were you there for that?

You should stick to replying to your other account.
What's the matter? Did you not see the thread title? Or you just don't have a good comeback? This thread is CLEARLY about comparing the Gophers home field advantage to others. Not wanting to argue with you, you post legit good posts a lot of the time.

I don't understand any of this.
The thread title was saying the Gophers have the best home field advantage in the B1G. I was saying they don't. Then @Word got the wrong impression and thought I was saying the gophs don't have home field adv., which I was NOT saying. I'm saying we don't have the BEST.

That clear it up for ya? ;) lol

Despite being down years, we beat Iowa at home in 2010 and 2011. I think that showed the place has some magic.
:drink:

What's the matter? Did you not see the thread title? Or you just don't have a good comeback? This thread is CLEARLY about comparing the Gophers home field advantage to others. Not wanting to argue with you, you post legit good posts a lot of the time.
I was responding to Taji34's post saying that TCF was a home field advantage and you then started arguing with my post about other stuff.

The thread title was saying the Gophers have the best home field advantage in the B1G. I was saying they don't. Then @Word got the wrong impression and thought I was saying the gophs don't have home field adv., which I was NOT saying. I'm saying we don't have the BEST.

That clear it up for ya? ;) lol
Clear as mud...
Actually, I was lost at words like "spread", "baseline", "Taylor series calculation", "weighted values", etc.
Numbers and math are not my friends.

I was never comparing us to other stadiums. That seems to be your thing. I am just saying we have a home field advantage. The Penn State game as case in point. Were you there for that?

Incredible game....and TCF was rocking.

Top Bottom