Gophers get Akeem Springs

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Awesome signing. Should be a huge help this year.

Last season: 49% FG; 35% 3FG; 5+ rebounds per game. I'll take it! Welcome, Akeem!

Best part about this is even if he isn't a good signing, it's one year commitment and keeps Pitino on a good recruiting schedule where he is focused on guys he wants rather than being locked into someone he scrambled to fill a need for multiple years.

Wants>Needs long term

STARTERS
PG - Mason (JR)
SG - Springs (SR)
SF - Fitzgerald (JR)
PF - Murphy (SO)
C - Lynch (JR)

PG - McBrayer
SG - Coffey
SF - Gilbert/Hurt
PF - Buggs/Curry
C - Konate/Diedhiou

I LIKE!

STARTERS
PG - Mason (JR)
SG - Springs (SR)
SF - Fitzgerald (JR)
PF - Murphy (SO)
C - Lynch (JR)

PG - McBrayer
SG - Coffey
SF - Gilbert/Hurt
PF - Buggs/Curry
C - Konate/Diedhiou

I LIKE!

You're hilarious, and I love it.

POLLYANNA....

You got the guy starting and you've watched one game of him? Or did you follow UM sports (I think you live in Madison/Milwaukee area)?

Best part about this is even if he isn't a good signing, it's one year commitment and keeps Pitino on a good recruiting schedule where he is focused on guys he wants rather than being locked into someone he scrambled to fill a need for multiple years.

Wants>Needs long term

Yep! Worst case scenario he is a spark plug option off the bench. Best case, he's a legit go-to scoring option on the wing.

You're hillarious, and I love it.

POLLYANNA....

You got the guy starting and you've watched one game of him? Or did you follow UM sports (I think you live in Madison/Milwaukee area)?

All I know is he put up good numbers and helped take down both the Gophs and Badgers. I'm excited for next season, so sue me!

STARTERS
PG - Mason (JR)
SG - Springs (SR)
SF - Fitzgerald (JR)
PF - Murphy (SO)
C - Lynch (JR)

PG - McBrayer
SG - Coffey
SF - Gilbert/Hurt
PF - Buggs/Curry
C - Konate/Diedhiou

I LIKE!

And those would be fun teams in a inter-squad scrimmage.

I highly doubt he beats out Coffey for a starting spot, but he is a solid get!

Coffey McBreyer and Springs, it'll be interesting to see how the minutes play out, Coffey and McBreyer can both play point and the wing so there's some flexibility there.

I roll negative in the off season but I have to say that looks like a much better roster than we have seen in a long time. If Masson has a big year, I smell NCAA.

Nice get for the Gophers. He can step in and play right away. He was very impressive in the game that he played against the Gophers last year. Plus he had big games against good competition (Notre Dame)

By all appearances a nice 1-year get for Pitino, as Winasota pointed out. That said, if Springs is in the starting lineup ahead of McBrayer next season, he's a heck of a player.

We're going to the 'ship!!!! POLLYANNA!!!!

But seriously good get for next year. I'm hoping he'll give us a Malik Smith year or better.

I really like his rebounding numbers as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taking a stab at the game one starters
Mason
McBreyer
Fitz
Murphy
Lynch
Off the bench
Coffey, Springs Konate, Gilbert, Curry

At the very least, the competition for the two starting wing positions is going to be intense. I could see any 2 of the following 4 as starters...Springs, Fitzgerald, McBrayer, and Coffey. And who knows, maybe someone like Hurt really impresses and pushes for major minutes at the 3.

. ... I'm hoping he'll give us a Malik Smith year or better.

I hope and expect Gophers to get a lot more out of Springs than they did Smith. Smith was hot for a few games, and that was about it. Pretty much a one-trick pony (shooting 3s) whose one trick faded as the season went on.

Questions for next year after getting Springs:

1. Can Mason take another step and be all-B1G?

2. Will Murphy avoid a sophomore slump?

3. Can Springs repeat last year's output at a B1G level?

4. Will the transfers excel?

5. Can Coffey match Murphy's freshman output?

6. Who will be red-shirted? Curry? Hurt?

7. Who will be the GOTO-GUY in crunchtime?

8. Will the staff be able to get all this talent to buy-in and play together?

9. Does McBrayer continue to improve?

10. How many of 1-9 need to happen t make it to the NCAAs?

OOPS! Forgot a big question:

Can we avoid off-court issues?

At the very least, the competition for the two starting wing positions is going to be intense. I could see any 2 of the following 4 as starters...Springs, Fitzgerald, McBrayer, and Coffey. And who knows, maybe someone like Hurt really impresses and pushes for major minutes at the 3.

Yeah, It'll be tough. I wonder if we'll see a lineup if/when Lynch gets in foul trouble of Mason, (Pick 3 of Springs, Fitz, McB, Coff, Hurt) and Murphy.

Top Bottom