Gophers Game Preview: Saturday Night Lights: Gophers Look to Retain Jug For Kill

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Saturday Night Lights: Gophers Look to Retain Jug For Kill
By Grant Erickson and Travis Erickson

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/569966?referrer_id=388419

Following Wednesday morning’s announcement that beloved head coach Jerry Kill would retire immediately due to health reasons, it seemed surreal to think the Gophers still had a game to play on Saturday. The upcoming game against No. 15 Michigan was set to be a difficult matchup, even more so now without the team’s devoted leader on the sideline.

The battle for the Little Brown Jug takes on greater meaning for the Maroon and Gold as they look to represent the sturdy foundation Kill built in Minneapolis. After seeing the outpouring of support from current and former players, there’s no doubt the team will be ready to do exactly what their coach would want – battle hard for Gopher fans and the state of Minnesota.

It’s certainly a sad day for everyone associated with Gopher football and we pray and wish the best for Jerry Kill and his family. Thank you, Coach, and get well soon.

No. 15 Michigan (5-2 overall, 2-1 Big Ten) at Minnesota (4-3 overall, 1-2 Big Ten)
When: Saturday, 6:00 p.m. CT – Minneapolis, Minn.
Stadium: TCF Bank Stadium (52,525)
TV/Radio: ESPN, KFAN 100.3
Series: Michigan leads the series 75-23-3
Last Meeting: September 27, 2014; Minnesota won 30-14 in Ann Arbor, Mich.
Coach: Jim Harbaugh (1st season, 5-2)

INSIDE THE GAME

Little Brown Jug

One of college football’s greatest rivalry trophies, the Little Brown Jug, is on the line Saturday.

“Obviously, we're excited to have the Little Brown Jug in the state of Minnesota,” said Tracy Claeys. “It's meant a lot to a lot of people, including our team, and it's been to a lot of events over the last year.”

The Wolverines hold a 69-23-3 advantage when playing for the Jug and will look to take it back on Saturday. After last year’s 30-14 victory in Ann Arbor, the Gophers will have the prized trophy on their sideline and will try to defend it.

“So we've enjoyed having it around,” said Claeys. “It will be a big challenge, but we're looking forward to Saturday night on Halloween and keeping it right here in the state of Minnesota.”

Change of Philosophy

During his first season with the Wolverines, Jim Harbaugh is off to a promising start. Michigan is 5-2 with a fluky last-second loss to Michigan State in their last game. The Wolverines are a top-15 team thanks to their new devotion to the rushing attack.

“So you know, part of doing a great job of coaching is recognizing what you have and what they do best,” said Claeys. “I think after the Utah game that each game they've decided and done a little bit different, but committed a little bit more to the run and some things they're doing. They're what you would think a Michigan football team's built on. Now they're downhill, playing good defense. Running the ball. Takes occasional shots down the field.”

A…fullback?

Jim Harbaugh is going old school this year; bringing back the long-lost fullback role.

“The fullback carries the ball more than any major college football team the last 20 years, and they're good at it,” said Claeys.

The added offensive option could create some difficulty for the Minnesota defense.

“They make you respect the fullback, no team in the last 20 years have you had to do that," said Claeys. “Fullback is always a blocker, decoy, but they've got some awfully big fullback running game.”

Matchup to Watch

Minnesota wide receivers vs. Michigan defensive backs— The Wolverines boast, arguably, the best defense in the country. Michigan leads the nation in passing efficiency and ranks No. 4 in total pass defense. A key component of the vaunted defense is a group of talented playmakers on the back end. The defensive backs are lead by junior cornerback Jourdan Lewis, who leads the nation with 14 pass breakups. Lewis has the ability to shut down one side of the field, which could make it even more difficult for a Gophers’ passing attack that has struggled with consistency and production. The key for Minnesota will be to keep the passing attack conservative yet efficient and hope the receivers can gain yards after the catch.

STORYLINE CENTRAL

Mark Snyder of the Detroit Free Press
has a quick look back at the loss to Michigan State, as well as what to watch for on Saturday.

Snyder also has a great roundup of all things Wolverine football with a few important notes on the team.

Following the heartbreaking loss to Michigan State, the Wolverines are looking to rally rather than wallow in the defeat. Nick Baumgardner of MLive Media Group gives some insight into Michigan’s mindset for the rest of the season.

Joe Christensen has a good story about what the Gopher defense must improve on to be competitive against Michigan.

WHO WINS?

The Gophers Win If…

They can force Michigan into big mistakes. This season, the Wolverines have made a living holding onto the ball and methodically moving the chains. If the Gophers defense can force a timely turnover or two – something they couldn’t muster against Nebraska – it could disrupt the deliberate Michigan offense.

“They've gotten back to getting downhill, doubling you on the defensive line, not losing yards and keep getting in a manageable third down,” said Claeys. “That's what they've done. They have kept the ball away from people and scored enough to win.”

The Wolverines Win If…

They put up another dominant defensive performance. Michigan’s defense has been unreal so far this season. The Wolverines D leads the Big Ten giving up 9.3 points per game and just 210 yards per contest. Michigan pitched three shutouts this year, two against ranked teams. For a Gopher offense that has struggled this season, the Wolverine defense presents the ultimate test.

“Some people think nowadays if you win 21-17, it's embarrassing because you didn't score 40 points,” said Claeys. “That's not them. They'll gladly walk off the field with a 17-10 win. So it's a completely different mindset, but they're playing well together. Their defense is -- I think defensively they're only averaging like 60 snaps a game, which is unheard of today…”

Saturday Night Lights, I can't wait!! I'd love to see us win the turnover battle, maybe make a big special teams play and then anything can happen.

Many of us have never witnessed a Little Brown Jug game with a win in Minneapolis. I have witnessed two in Michigan 2014 and 2005.
I consider that a blessing but it would be a special blessing to see Minnesota win one in TCF with all that has gone on this week and for Coach Kill who gave us belief the Gophers could win against these guys.

The other two I was a kid and there was only the win in 1977 in Minnesota. Beating Michigan has been a rare thing for Minnesota, but it is about high time we win another one in Minnesota. Gophers need to play physical, we need to run the ball and stuff the run defensively and make Rudock sit on his butt taking sacks a lot. Only four Minnesota coaches of recent memory have pulled off this feet, coach Stoll, Coach Gutekunst, Coach Mason and now Coach Kill. Will coach Claey's add his name to that list? I sure hope and believe he can. Go Gophers and SKI-U-MAH!

I have a replica of the Little brown jug on the line with a co-worker, a Michigan Alumn on the line Saturday night that is super confident she is going to be getting this replica brown Jug and a lunch gift card.

Not saying I'm super confident or cocky, but I'm a Gopher fan, I back my school, and I'm not just going to sit there when a Michigan alumn talks smack and say's it is on like Donkey Kong and the Jug comes back to Ann Arbor, you cannot let them run their mouth without consequences. The fact that she got her hands on better seats sucks too.

Be wary of a wounded Gopher I said, we may be kicked when were down, we may be lowly rodents or ground squirrels, but we have sharp teeth like Goldy our mascot, and the Gophers can beat anyone just remember the beating you took last year.
Like coach Claey's said "We Expect to Win". The Buckeyes fans were amused by that but I also said, the same thing to him, next week is not going to be any different "We still Expect to Win" don't care about your ranking, the Gophers do not back down from a challenge.

Top Bottom