Gophers football resists relying on transfers, but brings in whopping six in one month

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

“You can see already how many players have entered the (NCAA transfer) portal,” Fleck said in a video conference with reporters on Dec. 16. “We are going to keep an open mind to keeping scholarships open and not having this recruiting class shut. Signing day is a little like the NFL draft; then there is still a free-agent market that is coming a little bit later on. College football is swinging a little bit toward that. Just wanted to give everybody a heads up.”

Go Gophers!!

All transfers are not created equal.

Getting a kid with 3 years left or someone to plug and play for a year when you're going to be weak at a spot works for me. Hopefully they are culture fits--that is my biggest concern.

Three seasons left to play! (probably what you meant)

In regular times, unless you snagged a JUCO after his first season, they only had two seasons to play (could be three total years in the program, if you redshirted them first).

it is a very unique year with the liberal transfer rules...glad we are taking advantage...we showed a LOT of holes on defense...showed holes at wr with loss of TJ, Bateman quitting on team twice, DD opting to move on...showed lack of young olinemen

I think PJ's and most coaches preference to NOT rely on transfers or JUCO really comes form a desire to get folks into the program and in the system as that tends to pay off more.

But it's really just a preference relative to what's available to them.... everyone given the right situations would take transfers, JUCO, whatever.

Fans of course think the next superstar is the next guy on the depth chart or rando JUCO / transfer ... perhaps a lot more than is likely ;)

This is a win-win for the Gophers and the transferees.

Players who otherwise would not consider playing an extra year or two to improve their draft stock elsewhere. Players who were underutilized, or who want to take a shot at playing in the Big Ten.

The Gophers get instant upgrade in talent and experience. I am pretty happy with the overall depth.

I am still worried about Special Teams. We need punters and kickers to extend the field or to be on the winning side of a close contest. We should have won in Maryland and Wiscy. Hopefully we get to see Crawford come out this year. Kickers are making me nervous.

This is a win-win for the Gophers and the transferees.

Players who otherwise would not consider playing an extra year or two to improve their draft stock elsewhere. Players who were underutilized, or who want to take a shot at playing in the Big Ten.

The Gophers get instant upgrade in talent and experience. I am pretty happy with the overall depth.

I am still worried about Special Teams. We need punters and kickers to extend the field or to be on the winning side of a close contest. We should have won in Maryland and Wiscy. Hopefully we get to see Crawford come out this year. Kickers are making me nervous.
I'm happy with what they are doing. Without question, they are looking at holes in various positions for certain years of recruitment, not just randomly picking up talented players looking to move, although of course you're going to take an uber-talented player if one wants to come to MSP.

Several of these transfers are going to fill major areas of need, not just next year but in the next several years. Cheap insurance in the event a few of the recruits don't pan out, and for all them, some quality depth.

So any player who didn't play football for the Gophers this year "quit" on the Gophers. At least Bateman tried to come back and by all accounts gave a good effort. Sometimes Swingman I think your mind is so small it could fit on a corner of a postage stamp.

Gophers brought in five not six. They also had four transfer out. Also Dylan Wright is basically like bringing in a kid from h.s. and not red shirting him.

Gophers brought in five not six. They also had four transfer out. Also Dylan Wright is basically like bringing in a kid from h.s. and not red shirting him.
5 scholarship transfers and 1 PWO transfer. The PWO is Daniel Sparks who will have a great shot at being the starting punter next season.

I think PJ's and most coaches preference to NOT rely on transfers or JUCO really comes form a desire to get folks into the program and in the system as that tends to pay off more.

But it's really just a preference relative to what's available to them.... everyone given the right situations would take transfers, JUCO, whatever.

Fans of course think the next superstar is the next guy on the depth chart or rando JUCO / transfer ... perhaps a lot more than is likely ;)

We can hope that the transfers can help fill some needs and contribute next Fall. If one or two of them are impact players, then we have hit the jackpot. But, the reality is that probably none of them would do that for the Bama's, Clemson, OSU, LSU, etc. The Gophers are with the other 95% of the programs who are just looking for some help.

I would be super excited if PJ can reel in a top safety and DE if there are any out there.

5 scholarship transfers and 1 PWO transfer. The PWO is Daniel Sparks who will have a great shot at being the starting punter next season.
Anyone who wants to go from a scholarship somewhere to a PWO here is gravy.

We can hope that the transfers can help fill some needs and contribute next Fall. If one or two of them are impact players, then we have hit the jackpot. But, the reality is that probably none of them would do that for the Bama's, Clemson, OSU, LSU, etc. The Gophers are with the other 95% of the programs who are just looking for some help.

I would be super excited if PJ can reel in a top safety and DE if there are any out there.

The thing about JUCO or transfers is the pool isn't consistent, you can get the 'top' JUCO guy at a position one year ... and he's not good, and the next year a really good player is the top JUCO guy at a position and Bama picks up the top guy ;)

With all the transfer acquisitions, I can't wait for the Pandemic to be over. We need to return to normalcy and get Gopher Football back at The Bank! Let's fill it to capacity.

Is it still TCF Bank, or Huntington Bank?

Top Bottom