Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck on last season: 'I failed'

from the cynics' point of view:

"I didn't do well enough, so I fired somebody else."

this falls into the category of coaches - not just Fleck - who come out after a loss and say "this is 100% on me."

it sounds good, but is it just words or will some real changes take place?

If Fleck means this, then we should expect to see changes in the offense this season, which could potentially include changes in formations, use of personnel, and play-calling.

we shall see.
He didn't do well enough because he didn't fire Sanford mid-season like he did with Smith a few years back.

He didn't do well enough because he didn't fire Sanford mid-season like he did with Smith a few years back.
Whatever he did worked, we finished the year much better and beat WI.

We can't expect perfection from a coach (or anyone) we just have to hope they are smart enough to realize when they have made mistakes and fix them.

Whatever he did worked, we finished the year much better and beat WI.

We can't expect perfection from a coach (or anyone) we just have to hope they are smart enough to realize when they have made mistakes and fix them.
I was being facetious, I am definitely happy with the way the season ended as well. Just saying if he was going to point to a failure that would be an obvious one to me. Not to:horse:but those losses to BG and IL were brutal, and I can't blame much on the defensive side of the ball for them.

A leader owns the mistake regardless of who else is below him. The offense wasn't good enough and he owned that. I like that he didn't blame players on lack of execution, blame the OC for being a dunce. At the end of the day he gets paid the big buck because he owns the direction this ship is going in. Offense was a mess and he did to little to late to change that and we lost games we should have easily won.

Last season's OC ended up the scapegoat.

That is pretty obvious.

Schedule says 9 wins to me.
There is a trend with Sanford that has been repeated at pretty much all of his stops. So.....scapegoat?

I would love to be a professional scapegoat. It seems like a lucrative line of work with low expectations.
There are many jobs in cfb that are professional scapegoat roles. Expectations are too high to meet but you get paid handsomely to get fired in 3-4 years

I noticed that this Rejuv is marketing on this page. I know some people who have gone there. It is run by a primary care doctor who claims to be a Orthopedic/ pain medicine expert. He worked as a primary care for a Allina Clinic up north until it closed. He promotes stem cell injections and charges people 9,000 dollars per injection and charges people to take hormonal supplements. Beware.

You do know that the ads you see are a result of your internet usage and search history, right?

So, what exactly have you been searching?
Kinda....

Amazon ads are convinced I'm a woman.

Google thinks I'm a cornhusker fan.

At one point on GH an ad showed up to ask me to sign an online birthday card for Melania Trump (how weird is that!?!?!?).

Ads are weird sometimes.

When I go on this site I see the advertisement.
The ads are generated from cookies based on YOUR internet usage. For example, my ads are a Dallas-based auto insurance agent, an investment firm in Dallas and the sakuchi air fryer.

The content of the ads have nothing to do with Gopherhole.

The ads are generated from cookies based on YOUR internet usage. For example, my ads are a Dallas-based auto insurance agent, an investment firm in Dallas and the sakuchi air fryer.

I don't see any ads anymore. They must've figured out I'm cheap AF and it's a waste of time trying to get me to buy something/ anything.

Is that Sakuchi air fryer any good?

The schedule looks pretty soft this fall. NDSU beats the Illinois team most years by 40 points. Colorado, Rutgers, NW. I would like to see a few more challenging teams.
Let me introduce you to Penn St, Michigan St, Wisconsin, Iowa…

To clarify my remarks:

when a coach says "I failed," IMHO, the next thing out of his mouth should be

"and here is what I am going to do differently....A...B....C....D."

Yes, recognizing that you have a problem is the 1st step. But the next step involves doing something - taking some concrete action - to fix or address the problem.

I know that coaches guard their secrets and hate revealing information.

But to me, when a coach says "I failed," if I am a reporter, my first two questions are "why do you think you failed?" and "what are you going to do differently?"

the admission of failure is not the story - the response to failure is the story.

I guess we'll just have to wait to see the team play, and see if things look different compared to last year.
He literally fired the OC
So I guess that is plan A
He didn’t hire internal so that is plan B (to bring in a different person to be in charge that wasn’t there)

Did he not mention the new OC? Is that what is bothersome?

Big Ten Schedule is out of our control. Playing one power 5 team in the non-conf is plenty considering we play 9 conference games.
Yeah.
He will credit the team with scheduling in 2023 when we put a tougher team like say North Carolina on the schedule.

Lol

Seriously the schedule for next year is either out of the control of the coaching staff or was set 8 years ago.

At the least, I expect a change from the rhythm killing, clumsy offensive set and check with the sideline. While certainly contributing to the vaunted Time Of Possession, I don’t get a sense that it helped switch out of trouble that often, though very hard to confirm. That scheme, used widely, gives the impression that the OC doesn‘t trust his QB, which, not coincidentally, coincides with Tanner’s step-back years. Saw a BTN story about the Gophers offense a few years back in which Urban Meyer broke down the read scheme used. It was a very QB-centric approach, requiring the QB to assess the box and audible out if needed.
Hope Kirk brings this back.

At the least, I expect a change from the rhythm killing, clumsy offensive set and check with the sideline. While certainly contributing to the vaunted Time Of Possession, I don’t get a sense that it helped switch out of trouble that often, though very hard to confirm. That scheme, used widely, gives the impression that the OC doesn‘t trust his QB, which, not coincidentally, coincides with Tanner’s step-back years. Saw a BTN story about the Gophers offense a few years back in which Urban Meyer broke down the read scheme used. It was a very QB-centric approach, requiring the QB to assess the box and audible out if needed.
Hope Kirk brings this back.
They have checked the sideline like this every year Fleck has been coaching.

They have checked the sideline like this every year Fleck has been coaching.
Lots of teams run the sideline check offense.

we ran it way better under KC and it was a mess under Sanford.

Lots of teams run the sideline check offense.

we ran it way better under KC and it was a mess under Sanford.
Yeah. Plays and checks were coming in too slow the past two years. What was a problem on 3-4 plays per game under KC was a problem on 10-20 plays per game the last two years…and that’s really bad.

Yeah. Plays and checks were coming in too slow the past two years. What was a problem on 3-4 plays per game under KC was a problem on 10-20 plays per game the last two years…and that’s really bad.
Obviously has been a few years but I rarely remember being frustrated with our offense in the previous KC years and 2019 specifically. Yes we ran the play clock down but the offense felt under control and more often than not the sideline checks seemed to lead to good adjustments.

The past 2 years the offense has never seemed to be in sync and the sideline checks/adjustments were a mess. Morgan running around like crazy before the snap and everyone just looking disorganized or frantic.

Our offense was fun to watch under KC, it was not fun to watch at all under Sanford and much more closely resembled the offense we got accustomed to under Kill where the forward pass looked like something that was a mystery to both the coaches and players.

Obviously has been a few years but I rarely remember being frustrated with our offense in the previous KC years and 2019 specifically. Yes we ran the play clock down but the offense felt under control and more often than not the sideline checks seemed to lead to good adjustments.

The past 2 years the offense has never seemed to be in sync and the sideline checks/adjustments were a mess. Morgan running around like crazy before the snap and everyone just looking disorganized or frantic.

Our offense was fun to watch under KC, it was not fun to watch at all under Sanford and much more closely resembled the offense we got accustomed to under Kill where the forward pass looked like something that was a mystery to both the coaches and players.

I pretty much agree with you, but there were plenty of fans still frustrated with the sideline checks under KC. But as you and others have said, a lot of good programs run this type of offense.

I pretty much agree with you, but there were plenty of fans still frustrated with the sideline checks under KC. But as you and others have said, a lot of good programs run this type of offense.
I mean no matter what someone is going to be frustrated in here :)

Under KC the offense seemed very efficient. When teams loaded the box we passed, when they dropped back we ran and the slant was a deadly play. It certainly wasn't perfect but it was very very good and Morgan was being talked about along with some of the best QBs in all of college football during 2019.

I honestly think some have forgotten how much fun that 2019 season was over the craziness of the past few seasons

We should copy IaState playing calling. While they do check the sideline, vary seldom a second check. They had an all American running back - so do we in Mo. They throw the ball like we want. Marginal OL but getting better by recruiting. Only difference evident are tight ends. They have 2 or 3 going to the NFL. We have, well we had Kieft.

We should copy IaState playing calling. While they do check the sideline, vary seldom a second check. They had an all American running back - so do we in Mo. They throw the ball like we want. Marginal OL but getting better by recruiting. Only difference evident are tight ends. They have 2 or 3 going to the NFL. We have, well we had Kieft.
The 7-6 Iowa St. team that somehow lost to West Virginia?

It funny all these programs recruit these big QB's and the 6' guys end up starting. The Iowa State QB is like 5'11", the Iowa QB from Colorado is about 5'11. Bauman from Buffalo looks more like a lineman now, he is on the depth chart at Iowa State, Morgan is about 6 foot. NDSU Miller is about 6 foot. They all must be more consistent

LOL, not to mention talk to any ISU fan all they did was complain about Tom Manning and his playcalling last year.

Top Bottom