Gophers football: 12 takeaways from Pro Football Focus grades and stats in 2021

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

— Quarterback Tanner Morgan was 91st in the nation with a overall grade of 72.1. He was 15 points better in play-action throws vs. non-play action (78.7-73.7).

— Morgan, who is coming back for a sixth season in 2022, was better throwing deep (20-plus yards) 74.7 versus 73.8 in medium (10-19 yards). He was 82.2 in short game (0-9 yards). Returning offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca will be tasked with returning Morgan to the form he had in the great 2019 season.

Go Gophers!!

"— When the Gophers lost, their passing game was the culprit. They were never worse than the 31.3 passing-game grade in the 14-10 loss to Bowling Green in September, but were also in the 50s in losses to Ohio State, Illinois and Iowa."

Hopefully, Kirk gets the offense passing and running at a higher level.

per Greder:

— Quarterback Tanner Morgan was 91st in the nation with a overall grade of 72.1. He was 15 points better in play-action throws vs. non-play action (78.7-73.7).

— Morgan, who is coming back for a sixth season in 2022, was better throwing deep (20-plus yards) 74.7 versus 73.8 in medium (10-19 yards). He was 82.2 in short game (0-9 yards). Returning offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca will be tasked with returning Morgan to the form he had in the great 2019 season.

Go Gophers!!

It's said that medium throws are the ones that are most predictive of passing skill and NFL success. It's easier to throw screen passes, checkdowns, or bombs than mid range timing routes. Morgan did a lot better in the mid range when he had future NFL receivers and Kirk as the OC.

There were a few, mostly ignored voices that were saying this about Trevor Lawrence coming out of Clemson (led the nation in screen passes and was near the top in deep throws but was below average in the mid range)

It's said that medium throws are the ones that are most predictive of passing skill and NFL success. It's easier to throw screen passes, checkdowns, or bombs than mid range timing routes. Morgan did a lot better in the mid range when he had future NFL receivers and Kirk as the OC.

There were a few, mostly ignored voices that were saying this about Trevor Lawrence coming out of Clemson (led the nation in screen passes and was near the top in deep throws but was below average in the mid range)
I did not know that about Lawrence, I must have been one of those who ignored. That skill set could end badly.

When I think of Morgan I think of slants over the middle, which is what I also see Justin Herbert throwing, just saying,

per Greder:

15-points. Crazy math.

I did not know that about Lawrence, I must have been one of those who ignored. That skill set could end badly.

When I think of Morgan I think of slants over the middle, which is what I also see Justin Herbert throwing, just saying,
Here's one guy who had a take like this. It's an interesting read. He's been right thus far.

Here's one guy who had a take like this. It's an interesting read. He's been right thus far.

Interesting stuff. Jaguars should just go ahead and move to London. Nothing good is going to happen in Jacksonville.

Interesting stuff. Jaguars should just go ahead and move to London. Nothing good is going to happen in Jacksonville.
Why? There is nothing inherently wrong with Jacksonville. It's the largest city in a warm weather state near where many players are from. There's no state income tax. Tampa and Miami have had success. Their attendance is marginal because the team isn't very good but if they started winning again people would pack the house.

They have stunk because of some bad drafting and leadership instability but I don't think moving to London would be a panacea. They would likely be even worse in London if they didn't fix their football decision making.

Why? There is nothing inherently wrong with Jacksonville. It's the largest city in a warm weather state near where many players are from. There's no state income tax. Tampa and Miami have had success. Their attendance is marginal because the team isn't very good but if they started winning again people would pack the house.

They have stunk because of some bad drafting and leadership instability but I don't think moving to London would be a panacea. They would likely be even worse in London if they didn't fix their football decision making.
They keep flossing with a nail gun. At some point you have to change things up or it ruins your smile.

Hard to tell from that scouting report whether Lawrence's problem is he can't throw the medium-deep pass or he isn't religious enough.

Lawrence doesn’t watch the target during his follow through. Seen Kirk Cousins doing this during that Bears game several times, with pressure in his face, he took his eyes off target.

Top Bottom