Gophers fate will be determined on the road

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Keep protecting that home court and find a way to win a few on the road.

I like this team more & more every game. Very quietly Demir is developing into a very solid piece. Rotation has mostly been tightened to 7 (that’s a good thing), and Gophers still haven’t played their best basketball. Hard part is going to be winning enough games to get a shot in the tournament, but they’re more than capable.

Since December 5, 2017 the Gophers are 3-20 in Big 10 Conference games (regular season) away from Williams Arena. This includes a neutral site game vs Ohio St in 2018.

Since December 5, 2017 the Gophers are 3-20 in Big 10 Conference games (regular season) away from Williams Arena. This includes a neutral site game vs Ohio St in 2018.
Would be interesting to know the Big Ten average in that same time frame. Or at least how some other middle-tier Big Ten programs have done.

Frankly, if the Gophers are to win a couple on the road and the key games at home, Gabe will have to shoot much, much better than he has recently. Getting 15-17 points every game from him is key as is increasing the 3 pt %.

Would be interesting to know the Big Ten average in that same time frame. Or at least how some other middle-tier Big Ten programs have done.

Iowa over the same time is 5-17.
Ohio St is 10-14 which in addition to the MSG win over the Gophers includes a UC win over the Illini.

As with the Gophers, these do not include the Big 10 Tourney

For the Badgers, the road only B1G record is 12-11. 3-7 in their down year, 7-3 last year, and 2-1 thus far this year.

Whether it's Gabe, Tre, or Peyton..... one of those guys needs to step up and start shooting the ball better, doesn't matter who. if that happens.....sky is the limit.

Sadly, Wisconsin has got a couple road wins. We need to pick a few up and not lose at home. I'm not hopeful about our chances. At present we are outside, looking in. I'm not sure who we beat on the road. I thought Rutgers and Northwestern, but Rutgers turned a corner after some early scrub games. Our chances may run through Madison and Illinois, but I don't like those odds.

Sadly, Wisconsin has got a couple road wins. We need to pick a few up and not lose at home. I'm not hopeful about our chances. At present we are outside, looking in. I'm not sure who we beat on the road. I thought Rutgers and Northwestern, but Rutgers turned a corner after some early scrub games. Our chances may run through Madison and Illinois, but I don't like those odds.
We are going to win some road games 2-3 of them. I just have no idea how or where it will happen. Hold the home court (9-1 would be great) and good things will happen. We have one of the 3 best players in the Big Ten and some guys that can get hot (Carr, Gabe and Willis). We can do this!

We are going to win some road games 2-3 of them. I just have no idea how or where it will happen. Hold the home court (9-1 would be great) and good things will happen. We have one of the 3 best players in the Big Ten and some guys that can get hot (Carr, Gabe and Willis). We can do this!
Oturu's instability in his shoulder has me concerned. You know teams are going to target this (sweep the leg) to make him uncomfortable. The training staff needs to be using kinesio tape and other treatments to get stability. Oturu goes down and we are toast.

Their poor play away from home and with how hard it is to win a B1G road game for any team doesn’t give much hope.

The Purdue game was a huge missed opportunity.

I actually have 4 road wins. This team id ready to do that.

Outside of Michigan State, this seems true of every team in the conference not named Northwestern or Nebraska. The Gophers don't have the talent of Maryland or Ohio State, but both those teams are not playing well at all at the moment. I haven't seen anyone else who has demonstrably more talent than the Gophers though I haven't seen Rutgers or Indiana play this year. A very mediocre roster is likely to end up in the top 4 of the conference this year, no reason it can't be the Gophers... let's hope it;s not the Badgers.

Top Bottom