Gophers coach P.J. Fleck on early fourth-down decision: ‘I would do it again’..."it only cost us 3 points, it was worth it"

The coach who is Uber conservative with the play clock and 70% run offense. Who expounds the ball is the program. Despises penalties. Looks for any conservative disciplined edge he can find…and he says “it’s only 3 points.” ??? That’s a bigger BS stretch than taking a pay cut to come here.

In his mind there is no such thing as momentum, so there is no psychological disadvantage to failing either.
But wait,
I thought failing is growth? We made the same blunder last homecoming.
Fleck is all or nothing. Ridiculously conservative or ridiculously reckless in his decisions. There is no middle it seems. He's made these kind of nonsensical decisions in the past as well, which is one of my big complaints with him. Don't get me wrong; I appreciate the guy and I think the guys love playing for him. But the all or nothing approach is maddening at times.

The Gophers must get out of the A-10 Warthog clock-eating mode. Illinois will eat them for lunch. They need to make necessary adjustments against one of the toughest defenses they will face in the Big Ten West.

Fleck wanted Mo in to help build his Heisman resume, but what he actually did is ruined any chance (however small) he may have had by getting him injured and costing him stats in at least one game (Purdue)
He got injured in the 3rd quarter

If you want one yard reliably, and your best OL man is your center, run a QB sneak. Don’t hike the ball to a guy sitting 4-5 yards behind the LOS. Then you need 5 yards forward to gain one yard. Then you give the opponent time to penetrate, especially if they are lined up in every gap to stop the run, perhaps outnumbering our OL. The TFL statistic is around because lots of teams can’t rely on getting one yard every time they run the ball.
A full yard, I don't think a regular QB sneak is that reliable. 1/2 yard, maybe so.

This is one place where Fleck should watch Iowa and say, I have a good defense too and punt. I may have stood up in my section and yelled punt the second he left the Offense on the field.

Purdue stuffed Maryland on 4-1 in 1st half on Saturday. Purdue Defense is solid and compliments their offense. Defense is right in the middle of the B1G at 8 with offense 6th. (Yardage Statistics)

Top Bottom