Gophers basketball: Pitino wants his players to compete in Pulley Pro-Am

Jigga Lofton disagrees.

Indeed, I jigga lofton disagree. lol.

especially if his name has relevance to the topic at hand.

like if he upstages the whole Gophers program in the Pro-Am or anywhere else.

This summer league and the EYBL are not comparable. Far better basketball from start to finish in the EYBL. If you disagree it just means you haven't watched these leagues enough.
Maybe if you add the caveat "for their age". You could also say the EYBL shows more consistent effort. I watched Wiggins for a half just going through the motions pretty uninterested, and NBA players pushing themselves hard in the pro-city leagues.

EYBL has a lot more at stake regarding recruiting and is more important to players and scouts.
Summer league is a fun place to play with good competition that is loosey organized and has almost no importance in terms of ones basketball career.

Here is pretty good sequence from the game Showcasing a little of Big Moe's versatility

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJa497q1Qa0

Everything is comparable. Especially effort, competitiveness and skill level in basketball games.

What I mean is the two leagues have a very different feel to them and just don't seem the same. The pro am is far more casual, less organized, and less competitive than the EYBL.

The games are pretty competitive, especially in the playoffs, and some of the 1 on 1 match-ups are extremely competitive. That's when you can learn something about a players game.

Okay. They are still far more competitive in the EYBL. Defense in the pro am is far more lazy. This is a pretty obvious fact for anyone who has watched a lot of games in both leagues. Go watch some EYBL games next year (if there is still a session here) and you'll see what I mean. Not trying to hate on the Pulley league if that's what it seems like. I look forward to going to it every year.

The recruiting aspect of the EYBL is a negative, not a positive. Winning is not the goal. There's often more pride on the line in the pro-city league. The scholarship to the preferred school is the ultimate goal of the EYBL not the bragging rights or the championship.

Buggs has so many things going for him. Great athleticism, great length, he's putting on some weight, and he's got a pure shot. He's still raw though. He doesn't rebound at all. He shies away from contact. On D, though he's quick to catch up, he can still get beat with a first step and he gets lost on screens. And he fades around on every shot. At Pulley yesterday he trailed a play, got a pass, shot an open three in rhythm, and was still fading away. Not ideal. I'm not sure he'll be able to contribute as much as I'd previously hoped.

Dre was obviously tired from his trip, and wasn't taking the game extremely seriously. His jumper and everything were still there, but he looked a little tired at points, and his jumper was a bit off. I'm not concerned.

Wally is still an insane leaper. He appears to have lost weight since last year. His shot also makes it clear that he's been pretty exclusively working on high jumping lately. He was kind of invisible for most of the game except for a nice alley oop. He still competes, and works hard. Hopefully he'll work on his shot and be able to make a few for us this year.

Joey King is skinnier than I thought. Anybody thinking of him as anything other than a pick and pop shooter are going to be disappointed. Every opportunity, he dashes out to the three point lane and calls for the ball. And some of the bigger forwards were dominating him inside on the boards. Further, he had some trouble finishing on layups amongst the trees. I think he may be able to help us, but after watching he and Buggs (admittedly in Summer League, but although good signs from HP don't always translate, bad signs often do), I'm still not sure we've got a power forward who will be able to hold his own in the big ten. It's not a news flash, but our backcourt is going to have to carry us.

Young Zach defiantly looks like a man among boys

Yea young zach is makin them gophers look like they done messed up again where are the gopher highlights u hiding them on us or sumthin

Yea young zach is makin them gophers look like they done messed up again where are the gopher highlights u hiding them on us or sumthin

Oh hi gogopher. No one missed you.

Lets just end this now before there's a lawsuit.

Buggs has so many things going for him. Great athleticism, great length, he's putting on some weight, and he's got a pure shot. He's still raw though. He doesn't rebound at all. He shies away from contact. On D, though he's quick to catch up, he can still get beat with a first step and he gets lost on screens. And he fades around on every shot. At Pulley yesterday he trailed a play, got a pass, shot an open three in rhythm, and was still fading away. Not ideal. I'm not sure he'll be able to contribute as much as I'd previously hoped.

Dre was obviously tired from his trip, and wasn't taking the game extremely seriously. His jumper and everything were still there, but he looked a little tired at points, and his jumper was a bit off. I'm not concerned.

Wally is still an insane leaper. He appears to have lost weight since last year. His shot also makes it clear that he's been pretty exclusively working on high jumping lately. He was kind of invisible for most of the game except for a nice alley oop. He still competes, and works hard. Hopefully he'll work on his shot and be able to make a few for us this year.

Joey King is skinnier than I thought. Anybody thinking of him as anything other than a pick and pop shooter are going to be disappointed. Every opportunity, he dashes out to the three point lane and calls for the ball. And some of the bigger forwards were dominating him inside on the boards. Further, he had some trouble finishing on layups amongst the trees. I think he may be able to help us, but after watching he and Buggs (admittedly in Summer League, but although good signs from HP don't always translate, bad signs often do), I'm still not sure we've got a power forward who will be able to hold his own in the big ten. It's not a news flash, but our backcourt is going to have to carry us.

I've been trying to explain to people that Buggs is not a 4 for over a year now & many just can't grasp it. He's going to be good player, but he's a jump shooter/3 point shooter who finishes in transition & blocks shots. He is not a rebounder, he is not physical. He's a 6'8"-6'9" small forward.

This is the reason I've been saying for the past year that unless we sign a real power forward/rebounder I expect Oto to fill that role as best he can next season. Oto is 2 full inches taller than Trevor or Rodney, is physical, and pretty much does everything well, except his shot went in the tank. If Pitino can help him re-find it, he could really be a contributor.

Top Bottom