Gophers Athletics Department ?

The Truth

Reaction score
All this talk of money has got me thinking and I thought I'd ask how does your athletic department operate in regards to funding? At UK the athletics department is a separate, not for profit entity and receives no funding from the University i.e. the state.

When the cost of tuition goes up at UK for the general student population at UK it goes up for athletes as well as the UKAA pays the money directly to the University for scholarships. The UKAA actually pays around 1.5 million a year into the General Scholarship Fund after expenses. The UKAA has helped fund numerous projects that benefit the school (like a new library) and I was wondering if that is common at Minnesota.

Ditto. Our athletic department funding is separate from general University funding. They take no state monies.

I don't think our athletic department has built any libraries though. They are too busy paying for Football Stadiums and a new State of the Art Basketball practice facility that will make even KY jealous.

Ditto. Our athletic department funding is separate from general University funding. They take no state monies.

I don't think our athletic department has built any libraries though. They are too busy paying for Football Stadiums and a new State of the Art Basketball practice facility that will make even KY jealous.

We don't need a new football stadium but UK is about to launch a 500 million dollar project (all privately funded) for an expansion to Commonwealth Stadium, a new basketball arena downtown to replace Rupp and a new baseball complex.

So the Athletic Department doesn't give money back to the university for projects to help the general student body? I think that should be one of the main goals of any of the major conference programs. To make money for the University to support the academic side of things.

We don't need a new football stadium but UK is about to launch a 500 million dollar project (all privately funded) for an expansion to Commonwealth Stadium, a new basketball arena downtown to replace Rupp and a new baseball complex.

So the Athletic Department doesn't give money back to the university for projects to help the general student body? I think that should be one of the main goals of any of the major conference programs. To make money for the University to support the academic side of things.

500 million for just those things? How much is each one going to cost?

Purdue is the same way. Seperate entity privately funded. I believe it is the exception to the rule that an Atheltic Department contributes to building an academic building on campus. Not because they don't want to help, I would hope they do, but they simply don't have the money to give. I cost a ton of money to run a top notch department. There are alot of sports that need funding. And when you factor in that Minnesota is on the west end of the Big 10 geographically and have to fly almost every where that adds alot extra money to cover every year than Purdue for example who can drive to IU, UI, NW, and depending on the sports UM and MSU. That is also why you are seeing all these premium seating area being involved with new projects. Even though the suites, loge, boxes ruin the feel of an arena or stadium.

Except for when we have to dip into the General University Fund to pay off fired coaches contracts as we did with Monson and Mason.

Except for when we have to dip into the General University Fund to pay off fired coaches contracts as we did with Monson and Mason.

But they are suppose to pay that back.

Distinction

Clarification: The U of M Athletics Dept is not a separate non-profit entity. It is a mostly self-funded department within the University. Donations to Athletics run through the U of M Foundation just like the rest of the U>

500 million for just those things? How much is each one going to cost?

I don't have the numbers in front of me but from what I understand it's 300 million for the new arena, 150-180 million for the renovations/upgrades to Commonwealth and the rest for the new baseball complex. All of which could change. The only holdup is the state legislature needs to pass the bill allowing the UKAA to go head with the bond issue and for IMG to finish their cost analysis

Interesting that you have to dip into the general fund to pay a coach's buyout. That would never fly at UK. My source within the AD says that the 6 million to pay Gillispie's buyout is already in place (if needed) and if it's not they've been told they can keep it to do with as they see fit.

UKAA is one of the few Athletic Departments that actually turns a profit each year from my understanding and it's a goal of theirs to support the academic side of things like funding scholarships and building libraries. The budget at UK is approaching 100 million dollars and probably will be by the end of the next decade. Amazing that they turn a profit and fund academic projects while accepting zero taxpayer dollars.

Interesting that you have to dip into the general fund to pay a coach's buyout. That would never fly at UK. My source within the AD says that the 6 million to pay Gillispie's buyout is already in place (if needed) and if it's not they've been told they can keep it to do with as they see fit.

Coaches' buyouts aside, the U of M athletic dept is self-sustaining. The situation will likely improve drastically next year with an on-campus football stadium. In the Metrodome, much of the football revenue (which was reduced anyway with an off-campus stadium) was funneled off to the Vikings and the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission. Controlling suite revenue, premium seating, concessions, parking, etc. next year and presumably in perpetuity will be a huge boon for the athletic dept at the U. I suspect they'll be making a solid profit in the future, though it's likely that much of that will be re-invested in facilities (a practice facility for basketball and a new baseball stadium being the most imminent).

Interesting that you have to dip into the general fund to pay a coach's buyout. That would never fly at UK.
I don't think it would have been supported here either if it wasn't a loan from the U's general fund. There was some politicking about the buy-out of Monson (and Mason, the FB coach) but it's pretty much died down in the legislature (publicly at least) and in the general population.

The dilemma facing the athletic department was that Monson's continuation at the U was costing the program ticket revenue and jeopardizing the long-term financial health of the department as a whole. The U's leadership was pretty effective in justifying the loan as a necessary investment to redirect the program's trajectory ... and the success in the first two years has given that rationale a solid footing.

Top Bottom