Gophers among the interested teams in Florida Transfer Treon Harris

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been posted already.

Former Florida starting quarterback Treon Harris revealed his intent to transfer on Monday.

Two days later, the market for the services of the former Gators starting QB appears to be quite large.

According to a report from 247Sports writer Ryan Bartow, the list of schools interested in Harris has reached double-digits.

Bartow reports that FBS programs Southern Miss, Texas State and Georgia State have spoken with the Harris family. FCS programs Florida A&M, Howard and Hampton also have reportedly made contact.

Bartow lists many other FBS schools, including Minnesota, Kansas, SMU, Eastern Michigan and East Carolina also have interest in Harris.

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/report-list-of-schools-interested-in-florida-transfer-treon-harris-reaches-double-digits

I'm interested. He could join the long list of Gators who have transferred in.

Is he good?? Why is he transferring ??how much eligibility does he have left?

Is he good?? Why is he transferring ??how much eligibility does he have left?

Florida Gators quarterback Treon Harris is transferring, the school confirmed Monday.

Harris, a junior, went 9-6 as the Gators' starting quarterback, but he began a transition to wide receiver before spring practice. Harris and star wide receiver Antonio Callaway were then suspended from the team in January. Both returned to campus to take classes and work out at the school's facility in June.

Harris had an up-and-down career at Florida. He was named to the SEC All-Freshman Team after throwing for 1,019 yards with nine touchdowns and going 4-2 as a starter in 2014. Harris then lost his starting job to Will Grier after the first week of the 2015 season, but he later reclaimed the starting title for the final eight games after Grier was suspended for taking a substance banned by the NCAA.

Harris threw for 1,676 yards with 9 touchdowns and 6 interceptions last season. Harris ended the season with three straight loss, completing 43 percent of his passes with one touchdown in the process.

Harris' career was also interrupted by a few other off-field issues. Following a Harris-led comeback win over Tennessee in 2014, he was accused of sexual battery and suspended from the team. His accuser later withdrew her complaint, but Harris was suspended for Florida's game against LSU. Last season, he was suspended for the Tennessee game because of a violation of team rules.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/17140696/former-starting-qb-treon-harris-transferring-florida-gators

With all the disciplinary issues, mediocre production at Florida sounds like more trouble than he's worth. Croft, green, Williams are the future the next several years.

With all the disciplinary issues, mediocre production at Florida sounds like more trouble than he's worth. Croft, green, Williams are the future the next several years.

Don't be so quick to judge. If he had a rough upbringing then none of the trouble is his fault.

Did I do that right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't be so quick to judge. If he had a rough upbringing then none of the trouble is his fault.

Did I do that right?

Come on spoof I hope your joking.

Did I do that right?

It is important to toss in some nasty insinuation about the accuser too.

Pass

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

Are we interested in him as a QB or WR? I'm sure he would be able to compete with some our WRs athletically and he has really good size.

With his disciplinary record he seems better suited to the basketball team.:rolleyes:

Did I do that right?

You got it. Everything he's done is actually our fault.

If he's good enough to play in the SEC he's good enough to compete for a job with the gophers. I think our coaching staff can handle the disciplinary issues.

If he's good enough to play in the SEC he's good enough to compete for a job with the gophers. <b>I think our coaching staff can handle the disciplinary issues.</b>

That was Brew's approach. How did that workout? I like the current staffs approach - handle it by avoiding the player/situation. I can think of a prominent local guy where we bent our new approach and it didn't work out well.

That was Brew's approach. How did that workout? I like the current staffs approach - handle it by avoiding the player/situation. I can think of a prominent local guy where we bent our new approach and it didn't work out well.

Kill had some guys he turned around who he laid the gauntlet down on. Hagaman was supposedly in the doghouse for a while with Kill due to choices, got hi turned around.

Aside from recruiting you could cite Brewster as a bad example of everything.

And I don't see what is wrong with taking that chance in certain situations. They at least know when to pull the plug on someone who just doesn't get it. If you take on a guy like Harris, you lay it out for him right away. One strike and you're out.

And I don't see what is wrong with taking that chance in certain situations. They at least know when to pull the plug on someone who just doesn't get it. If you take on a guy like Harris, you lay it out for him right away. One strike and you're out.

Personally, I'd rather fill my team with players you don't have to lay it out for. Players you know you can count on come game day.

Personally, I'd rather fill my team with players you don't have to lay it out for. Players you know you can count on come game day.

Case by case. My guess is Claeys and staff are pretty good at gauging where a recruits head is at. Sometimes it just takes time. If the talent is there, I think you take a second look/ third.

Moss comes to mind. When he committed to Notre Dame? No, not yet. When he committed to FSU(?) Nope! Not quite yet. Marshall U? Yes, now his head is right(?). Seemed that way.

Ideally, I agree.

I am not arguing that Treon is the kind of player we take a gamble on, but we've had some players who needed it "laid out for".

If we could get a DT like Hageman that needs it laid out for him, I'm ALL in.
Michael Carter struggled and needed a "come to jesus moment" with Tyrone (Stoudemire too).

Honestly, I think there is a difference between "laying it out" for a marginal 3* kid and a guy like Harris who was a 4*, top 125 player in his class. I would be happy to see the staff spend some time talking to him and seeing if he is worth the risk.

A gamble is a gamble, but some are better than others.

Sometimes, good company and disciplined coaches can put a kid in the straight and narrow.

A change of scenery away from temptation and bad influences can sometimes be a win-win situation.

Sometimes, good company and disciplined coaches can put a kid in the straight and narrow.

I don't disagree, but I think the reverse is more true... Sometimes a bad apple has a negative influence on the larger group.

With that said, I understand many see it more gray than I do... I tend to see things black & white.

Not sure why we have a separate thread on a random kid from Florida who has no ties to the program and hasn't expressed any interest?

The recruiting news to watch is whether Jermaine Johnson and Boye Mafe get offers soon.

Not sure why we have a separate thread on a random kid from Florida who has no ties to the program and hasn't expressed any interest?

The recruiting news to watch is whether Jermaine Johnson and Boye Mafe get offers soon.

So you came on this thread to post that we should be on a different thread?

Would love for two local DEs get a offer but if they ain't worth it go look somewhere else..

Top Bottom