Gophers among favorites to land 4-star 2023 center Dennis Evans

My understanding is that they are now telling players, that NIL money opportunities are available, but that they cannot be promised as part of recruiting. There will be plenty of opportunity here for Evans and I am becoming more confident about our approach to it, in the right way.
No coaches can. But the collectives know who they are interested in and proactively reach out. U of M is way behind others on this outside infrastructure and money behind it.

Q
May not be a priority. But if it’s a dead heat between two coaches/schools he really can see himself with, it may come into play. That’s the problem, even if it wasn’t initially a top priority.
Never know what he's thinking. Maybe he doesn't care about NIL and the deciding factor is his best friend plays at Minnesota.

Is there a reason the U can't put together an NIL package even if it isn't as much?
wouldn't they have a year to put something together regarding NIL for evans? An athlete has to enroll before collecting NIL? If so, suggest anything you want on a NIL value then try hard to get it

at this point its basically a one year deal. Pro or move on for much more NIL. Neither Minnesota nor TCU are in the NIL big boys club. Before he left TCU Patterson said some SEC schools were trying to poach his better players via NIL.

Evans talks about developing his skills and focus. Said he wants to play pro ball until he's 40 (old, as he called it). NIL would be lunch money compared to what he might make in the pros. If you take NIL, would you be able to focus or worry about producing to justify the NIL?

Last edited:

wouldn't they have a year to put something together regarding NIL for evans? An athlete has to enroll before collecting NIL? If so, suggest anything you want on a NIL value then try hard to get it

at this point its basically a one year deal. Pro or move on for much more NIL. Neither Minnesota nor TCU are in the NIL big boys club. Before he left TCU Patterson said some SEC schools were trying to poach his better players via NIL.

Evans talks about developing his skills and focus. Said he wants to play pro ball until he's 40 (old, as he called it). NIL would be lunch money compared to what he might make in the pros. If you take NIL, would you be able to focus or worry about producing to justify the NIL?
I’d bet TCU can roll out some real nice NIL offers. Those Texas schools are nuts

at this point its basically a one year deal. Pro or move on for much more NIL. Neither Minnesota nor TCU are in the NIL big boys club.
Be assured that there is plenty of NIL opportunities that are directly connected to the Universty of Minnesota. This seems to be about the approach of NIL between the two schools. We have seen or heard nothing about Dennis or his Parents speaking about the "highest bidder." I am not being naïve here, I 100% understand the big business of the NCAA and billion dollar industry. This family WANTS a school and coaches to be patient and help their son grow in EVERY aspect of his young life. The NIL piece and well beyond that, will happen to the families satisfaction. That however, is NOT first, it is a distant second to his health, well-being, and maturation, as a young man.

Has there been any reliable information suggesting that NIL is the thing pulling Evans towards TCU over the Gophers?

Been an interesting last couple of pages.

Has there been any reliable information suggesting that NIL is the thing pulling Evans towards TCU over the Gophers?

No. People fail to understand this recruit and some don’t care about lime light or NIL but are stupid in their thinking. Evans will sign to school of choice because that’s where he feels comfortable and no other reason.

No, there has not.

No. People fail to understand this recruit and some don’t care about lime light or NIL but are stupid in their thinking. Evans will sign to school of choice because that’s where he feels comfortable and no other reason.
True, but if I liked both schools, I'm taking the school along with the money. That would be a no-brainer.

post 492 and doogie is the only reference I'm aware of regarding NIL

Evans' coach Kool-aid Perry has been quoted saying NIL doesn't enter Evans' thinking

True, but if I liked both schools, I'm taking the school along with the money. That would be a no-brainer.
My thoughts exactly. At this stage, he must like both schools and feel good about either of them. So then what?

Edit: this isn’t saying I believe he is gone because of a Doogie comment - just saying that IF there’s significantly more money at TCU, I would expect any human being to weigh that appropriately against all other priorities. Why not have your cake and eat it too?

Money can’t buy happiness but it can buy me a boat, it can buy me a truck or something along those line country song.

Kansas could certainly do better than Minnesota and TCU which makes me think it’s not about money or prestige.

He is a top 30 recruit and his finalists are Minnesota and TCU. It is very clearly not about NIL money for him.
Right, it's about Minnesota and TCU.

If he likes them both, then he takes the one with the money.

Why is this so hard? You can be happy with no money. You can be happy with money. Don't think too hard on it.

Why is this so hard? You can be happy with no money. You can be happy with money. Don't think too hard on it.
What is so hard for you to understand about it not being about money for him? He could probably get a scholarship at literally any school that he wants, but he is down to Minnesota and TCU. Money is VERY CLEARLY not a priority for him.

You’re selling money as a tiebreaker. His tiebreaker could just as easily be having better academics, a better business school, having a Whole Foods nearby, or literally anything. He likes both Minnesota and TCU, so he takes the one with a better one of those characteristics. Given everything we know about his recruitment and situation, I am more inclined to believe that one of those is more likely to be his tiebreaker than NIL money.

What is so hard for you to understand about it not being about money for him? He could probably get a scholarship at literally any school that he wants, but he is down to Minnesota and TCU. Money is VERY CLEARLY not a priority for him.

You’re selling money as a tiebreaker. His tiebreaker could just as easily be having better academics, a better business school, having a Whole Foods nearby, or literally anything. He likes both Minnesota and TCU, so he takes the one with a better one of those characteristics. Given everything we know about his recruitment and situation, I am more inclined to believe that one of those is more likely to be his tiebreaker than NIL money.

Is there a Whole Foods near dinkytown? Lund’s is closeby but off cam… come on

Once again, trying to project our logic and decision-making process into the mind and heart of a 17 year old kid that none of us actually knows. When are we ever gonna learn?

Once again, trying to project our logic and decision-making process into the mind and heart of a 17 year old kid that none of us actually knows. When are we ever gonna learn?
I'm not projecting anything. He's going to be a gopher.

I think this is true only "everything else being equal". In the real world, everything else is rarely equal

I'm gonna start making my own crystal ball predictions. Have a few in my memory bank, I'm going to put his for Minnesota.

Top Bottom