Gophers AD: Master plan for upgrading facilities coming in April

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

University of Minnesota athletics director Norwood Teague said during a news conference Thursday, Feb. 28, that a master facilities plan for projects, including the basketball practice facility, would be solidified in mid-April.

"We want to do it simultaneously," Teague said, "then we'd like to go around the state. And we already have a caravan planned or a tour planned to unveil that, and really go around and shake hands to renew and rejuvenate pride in Gophers athletics."

Teague said the entire plan could cost between $80 million and $125 million. The projects are expected to be funded primarily by private donations.

"We've got to be smart about it," he said. "If it's too expensive, we've got to cut back in some areas. Right now, with construction costs being pretty favorable, it's different than it was five years ago. We need to get what we need and be smart about that. We don't want to go crazy and spend in a way that is going to be unwise. The next month is going to be key in kind of bringing that together."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...master-plan-upgrading-facilities-coming-april

Go Gophers!!

I love the vision. I hope there's funding to pull it off!

I wonder whether something like this ever would have been attempted if Maturi had been AD for another 100 years.

I love the vision. I hope there's funding to pull it off!

I wonder whether something like this ever would have been attempted if Maturi had been AD for another 100 years.

No kidding. Maturi was too busy raising 90 million for a new home for the marching band. Even had a caravan that hit all 87 counties in the state to raise money for it. What a waste.

No kidding. Maturi was too busy raising 90 million for a new home for the marching band. Even had a caravan that hit all 87 counties in the state to raise money for it. What a waste.

They built TCF Bank Stadium for the marching band?

New basketball and football practice facilities! Tear down Bierman and build a 6 story building with 1/2 the footprint.

New basketball and football practice facilities! Tear down Bierman and build a 6 story building with 1/2 the footprint.

Or keep Bierman for the other sports and expand for the new football facility. No reason to downsize when we need to expand and update.

I don't see why the Pavilion can't be expanded/remodeled to become a fabulous basketball practice facility and possibly include an indoor football facility. Take out the stands and concourse and there is a ton of room at a prime location. Then expand Bierman for the displaced sports/activities.

Top Bottom