Gophers: 9 questions facing P.J. Fleck’s 2023 Minnesota squad

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Wald:

Here are nine questions facing the 2023 Gophers:

CAN MINNESOTA WIN THE WEST?

The short answer is yes. The Big Ten West features four new head coaches in Matt Rhule (Nebraska), Luke Fickell (Wisconsin), Ryan Walters (Purdue) and David Braun (Northwestern). It’s widely thought that Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois are the four teams with a legit chance to win the Big Ten West. For the Gophers, that’s where Thursday’s opener against the Cornhuskers looms large. Fall to Nebraska, and the division hopes take a big hit. The other thorn in Fleck’s side is Iowa. He’s 0-6 against the Hawkeyes, and at least the last three contests have been there to win.

HOW WILL ATHAN KALIAKMANIS HANDLE BEING QB1?

It’s a new era at quarterback as the Gophers will likely start Athan Kaliakmanis. He played in 11 games last year, with five starts. He threw for 946 yards, three touchdowns and four interceptions. He threw for 319 yards and two scores against the Badgers last year. All accounts from within the team are that he has made leaps in his leadership, and has command of the offense. He’ll have his lumps, but if he has a good season, the Gophers can go a long way.

OVER OR UNDER ON 6.5 WINS?

The Gophers aren’t getting a lot of national respect, with their over/under win total for betting purposes at 6.5 wins. Call me a homer, but I’m absolutely hammering the over. If the Gophers can’t win at least seven games, 2023 is a disappointment. Minnesota should beat Nebraska Thursday, and should beat Eastern Michigan and Louisisan-Lafayette in the non-conference. A road game at North Carolina and the Drake Maye show is the wild card, but it’s a game the Gophers can absolutely win.

I’m penciling in Northwestern, Michigan State, Illinois, Iowa and Purdue as wins. That’s right, Fleck beats Kirk Ferentz and the Hawkeyes for the first time this season. For practical purposes, I’ll tab the losses as Michigan, Ohio State and Wisconsin. That puts the Gophers at 9-3.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom