Gophers #25 in BCS rankings!!!

Nice.

Wisconsin is at #19, which is odd, because I've been reading on here that they're basically the 2001 Miami Hurricanes.

Nice. Beat Wisconsin and it'll matter. Don't, and it's all for naught.

Crazy, WI is #19 and we're #25. Vegas has WI as a 14.5 favorite on the road at MN. Something has to give.

Yet, OSU beat WI by 7 at the Horseshoe and is 16 spots ahead of them in the BCS.

Hey this is fun too see! After Iowa and Michigan, to now being ranked!!! I am enjoying this...

Stanford is allowed to lose to Utah and USC and still be in the top 10 of the BCS. If you lose to a team that is not over .500 on the season how can you be ranked in the top 10 of the BCS? Oklahoma St. lost to West Virginia who is terrible.

Crazy, WI is #19 and we're #25. Vegas has WI as a 14.5 favorite on the road at MN. Something has to give.

Yet, OSU beat WI by 7 at the Horseshoe and is 16 spots ahead of them in the BCS.
that OSU-Wisc game wasn't nearly as close as the final score, OSU was up by at least 2 TDs for most of the game and Wisc was fortunate to not have gotten blown out if you ask me, if it wasn't for Urban Meyer's conservative play calling in the second half they would have gotten blown out by 3 TDs

this is huge, there is a huge difference for the casual fan when they turn on the TV and see #19 wisconsin vs #25 Minnesota as opposed to
#17 Wisconsin vs Minnesota, a lot of people would assume that Minnesota isn't that good of a football team unless they see a number next to our name since we are still sort of battling a perception issue

when i was watching the show is was pretty surprised, i definitely didn't expect us to be in the BCS top 25 since we were 23 in the coaches and 26 in the AP and i knew the computers weren't very high on us so i didn't expect to get in but something happened so i'll take it

Stanford is allowed to lose to Utah and USC and still be in the top 10 of the BCS. If you lose to a team that is not over .500 on the season how can you be ranked in the top 10 of the BCS?

My thoughts exactly. For some reason Stanford has been ordained as one of the "it" programs for 2013. They lost to Utah, those Utes of the 1-6 Pac 12 variety. It'll be an absolute joke if Stanford goes 10-2 and gets a BCS at-large bid simply because they're still in the top 14 (or whatever it is). They shouldn't be anywhere near the top 14 with that loss to Utah.

So you're saying the BCS doesn't make sense? Hmmm- never heard that before???

this is huge, there is a huge difference for the casual fan when they turn on the TV and see #19 wisconsin vs #25 Minnesota as opposed to
#17 Wisconsin vs Minnesota, a lot of people would assume that Minnesota isn't that good of a football team unless they see a number next to our name since we are still sort of battling a perception issue

when i was watching the show is was pretty surprised, i definitely didn't expect us to be in the BCS top 25 since we were 23 in the coaches and 26 in the AP and i knew the computers weren't very high on us so i didn't expect to get in but something happened so i'll take it

Remember, the AP has no impact on the BCS at all so not a big deal that we're still outside of their Top 25.

According to the Pioneer Press: "One-third of the BCS Standings are comprised each by the Harris Interactive Poll, USA Today coaches poll and computer rankings. The poll percentage is derived from each team’s total points in the two polls divided by the maximum possible points in both polls. The BCS average percentage comes from dropping each team’s highest and lowest ranking and dividing the total by 100."

These are my non-scientific humble observation, and may or may not have credence, but it is interesting to think about:

It is interesting that OSU (10-0) is only ranked #4 in spite of the undefeated season stretching into last year, MSU (9-1) is ranked #16 just below Northern Illinois, Wisconsin (8-2) is ranked #19.

The Harris Poll and the coaches Poll give the rankings its personal regional influences. The quality of the wins and loses (Strength of Schedule) and inter-conference results must figure into the computer rankings. The B1G loses to other FBS teams - B1G loses outside of the conference (Wisconsin to Arizona State, Indiana to Navy and Missouri, Illinois to Washington, Nebraska to UCLA, Penn State to UCF, loses to Northern Illinois by Purdue and Iowa, and Michigan State to Notre Dame) must hurt OSU & Wisconsin and the B1G in general in the BCS ranking.

That explains why the ranked PAC 12 teams take a slower stumble - both ASU and Stanford are 8-2 yet ASU is #17 and Stanford #8. Here is an answer to a question about why they are ranked higher with two loses each. The three loses to the PAC12 hurts. Missouri (9-1) has the fortitude of being in the SEC and has beaten a B1G team (Indiana) in inter-conference play gets them a higher ranking than Wisconsin.

Conversely, if a B1G team incurs a loss I can guess that they'll take a bigger drop in the BCS rankings.

The word of the wise to the B1G: Improve the inter-conference play, and don't schedule games against FCS team and lose to them.

The AP Poll has no relevance to the BCS rankings.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2013/11/18/gophers-football-minnesota-makes-debut-in-bcs-standings-at-no-25/

My thoughts exactly. For some reason Stanford has been ordained as one of the "it" programs for 2013. They lost to Utah, those Utes of the 1-6 Pac 12 variety. It'll be an absolute joke if Stanford goes 10-2 and gets a BCS at-large bid simply because they're still in the top 14 (or whatever it is). They shouldn't be anywhere near the top 14 with that loss to Utah.

I think that brings to light one of the age old debates about quality of opponents. Is it better to have no bad losses, but lost to your only strong opponents (Wisconsin), or to have a really big win against a team like Oregon, other pretty strong wins against teams like ASU (who beat Wisconsin) and UCLA, but a loss to a stinker like Utah.

(Note: the reason I made the comparison to Wisconsin is because I have heard a lot of people say they are being unfairly underrated and I don't think that's true, I recognize your post had nothing to do with the Badgers).

Top Bottom