GopherHole's Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 9/20/15

DL65

Reaction score
Coach Kill’s responses and comments related to Minnesota’s win over Kent State, 10-7.

1) Sid opened the segment asking for Coach Kill’s assessment of the team now that they’ve had a chance to view the game films of yesterday’s win. Sid opined the defense looked good, but the offense not so good:

“I agree with your conclusion,” Kill replied. He said the defense was good and “Punter (Peter Mortell) did a great Job!” Because of his long punts, the field was stretched for Kent State’s offense.

Coach Kill said they have had some serious problems on the offensive side of the ball, “Offense, no continuity.” Kill said they’ve experienced a lot of injuries on offense, citing absence of tight-ends Lincoln Plsek, Brandon Lingen, Duke Anyanwu, as well in line personnel. Nevertheless, Kill said it’s up to the coaching staff to find the fix the offensive woes, “Try to find the problem and fix it.”

His final comment to the Sid’s opine and question was related to his remarks in the presser after the game, which he said was context – “No pity parties . . .(it’s) about taking care of the players . . . Not going to throw the kids under the bus.”

2) In a follow-up question related to the offensive line, Sid asked about it being healthy for next week’s game against Ohio University:

Kill quickly replied, in a matter-of-fact tone, “We really miss Jon Christenson! . . . We’ve not been healthy . . . We’ve got to find our best five and stay healthy.”

He then talked about coaching offensive linemen, “Offensive line is difficult to coach.” (He said the problem is not unique to Minnesota, all team’s have the same problem; the line positions and players are unique – it takes special players – mentally and physically – to play in the offensive line. Everyone tries to find the players with certain attributes.)

Speaking positively, Kill said, “The kids are working their butts off.” And, once again, he emphasized that he and the coaching staff need to do a better job in coaching and giving the players the best opportunity to succeed.

3) Sid asked about the team’s tight-ends:

“Hope to get Bandon Lingen back,” Kill said. As to the availability of Lincoln Plsek, Kill sounded uncertain.

He cited Nate Wozniak and Nick Hart in his comments, “Nick Hart did some moments.”

His comments about the tight-end position were similar to his remarks about the offensive line. He said they need to find a way to get the players healthy and successful on the field.

One thing Kill knew for certain, in his remarks, no matter who you’re playing you must ready. He then cited the play of MAC Conference teams against the bigger/name schools. As an example, he mentioned the OSU vs Northern Illinois. OSU defeated NIU yesterday, 20-13. (Of course we remember last week when Toledo defeated Arkansas. Last night the Rockets beat Iowa State University in overtime.)

His final comments were related to the coaching staff’s experience in coaching games/teams – high scoring teams, when they lacked a strong defense, and games similar to yesterday’s tilt.

The thing that Coach Kill stressed frequently in his remarks was that they won yesterday. Winning is always better than losing.

4) Sid said he thought Mitch “Leidner did alright:”

Kill didn’t specifically mention Leidner or any player concerning their play yesterday in his comments, but, rather, he focused on the coaches and players generally, “We’re all responsible getting things right!”

As to critics, “People are going to be who they are, even when you win,” Kill said. Kill also said he told the players “Don’t apologize for winning.”

5) Dave Mona asked a two-part question: having running the jet-sweep and that Mitch Leidner was 17 of 27 in passing; however, the receivers were not getting separation from Kent State’s defensive backs:

Coach Kill did not respond to the question about running the jet-sweep; however, he expounded at length about penalties and sacks hindering the passing game. He said being 2nd and 20 is tough to overcome for any offense. But the biggest offensive problem that they must overcome is “execution.” He also said, “” (We) Have to get off to better starts. Offensively, that’s been a real problem in the first three games.

He then talked about the players on the offensive side of the line being down. . “The kids – offense – are in the tank; need to get them out of the tank.” He said 90% of the game is mental, and it’s extremely important that the coaching staff, including himself, that they help the players bounce back. Again, he cited the importance of winning, which they did yesterday.

6) Sid mentioned quarterback Demry Croft and that many want to see him play:

“Demry Croft is a good athlete, player . . . but you’ve got to be ready,” Kill answered.

Once again, referring to the offense, Kill said, “We have to get better.” Specifically he mentioned the offensive line and running backs in his remarks.

7) Dave Mona opined about Minnesota being 2 and 1:

Kill responded, “We’re two and one . . . we could have been 3 and o.”

He went onto say that the offense knows that they have hit some bumps in the first three games and that they need improve. “Do we need to get better on offense? Yes we do!”

Talking about the mental aspect of the game and the disappointments the offense is experiencing, Kill said, “A player told me, “’It’s like we let everyone down.” To boost the player up, he reminded the player that they won. IMO, that they won yesterday’s game and the need to improve (players and coaches) will be emphasized this week as they prepare to take on Ohio University.

8) Sid brought up Ohio state’s narrow victory over Northern Illinois:

Kill quickly and emphatically replied, “You’ve got to be ready; it doesn’t matter who you’re playing . . . Can’t compare scores, every game is different . . . ball bounces funny ways.”

In a matter-of- fact tone, Kill said, “(Need to) take care of the players . . . (they’re) discouraged . . . Hey, we did win . . . at the end of the day, winning is all that matters.”

Go Gophers!!

I normally depend only on DL 65, and if he disagrees with anything I say, go with him. But I did listen for a while this morning.

One other thing I heard was Kill referencing the impact of social media on the kids. Something on the order of "if people are telling you you are no good, you start to believe it." (Loose paraphrase)

I had a sense that this really upset Kill, especially personal attacks on individual players.

I haven't said it before, but thanks DL

I didn't listen to the broadcast, but I agree with MrC. The personal attacks people take on players and coaches is ridiculous! All of us know there are issues that need to be fixed, most of us don't know the order in which they need to be fixed. Let the coaches coach and the players play. Let us be fans and support their efforts!

If the offensive line is that hard to coach(I have no reason to doubt him), then why have the same person be the OC?

I normally depend only on DL 65, and if he disagrees with anything I say, go with him. But I did listen for a while this morning.

One other thing I heard was Kill referencing the impact of social media on the kids. Something on the order of "if people are telling you you are no good, you start to believe it." (Loose paraphrase)

I had a sense that this really upset Kill, especially personal attacks on individual players.
This is too precious.

Thanks DL for a great report. I agree 100% negative comments affects college age students. We've got some people who have their own issues during the week and are extremely quick to get on others when things don't go well with their team.

Considering it all a day later, Mitch did have 17 of 27, his best day, percentage-wise, since the Missouri bowl game. Play-calling seemed to be the real problem: endless banging into the brick wall of an 8-9 man front. Smith and the backfield averaged only 2.4 yards a carry, so why not try something different? Sweeps, misdirection (we did have one bootleg), screens, etc. Some variety instead of a futile effort to "establish" the straight-ahead run. People were booing the play-calling.

Considering it all a day later, Mitch did have 17 of 27, his best day, percentage-wise, since the Missouri bowl game. Play-calling seemed to be the real problem: endless banging into the brick wall of an 8-9 man front. Smith and the backfield averaged only 2.4 yards a carry, so why not try something different? Sweeps, misdirection (we did have one bootleg), screens, etc. Some variety instead of a futile effort to "establish" the straight-ahead run. People were booing the play-calling.

agree

Which plays were those? All the ones that didn't work? I replayed several running plays that didn't work and saw 6 in the box. I saw some pass plays that had three receivers all double covered. I think there is a fair amount of over-simplifying that is going on here at GH and the solution is a little more complicated that the average fan realizes.

Thank you DL65. Concentration and pure reporting in a sea of spewing. Thank you.

How smart do you have to be?

If you are a player reading this board, at any time, but especially when things are not soaring....you deserve pain. You can't fix any player that stupid. If you are getting social media messages that are not to your liking... don't read them...make twitter private. That excuse is way too fragile. You recruited the wrong players if they are wimpering because they are playing poorly and sensitive to criticism. My gosh....life is about choices....take control, play better. Not capable of playing better? Then don't read the negative comments. Talk to mom. Get a girlfriend who cares about you....anything but whining our feelings are hurt! It's a ffffing football team!

Is coach really talking about his players or himself? Do players reflect the attitude of their coach? Jerry was way too sensitive yesterday but this is a day later he's whining about criticism.
Play better! Coach better!

If you are a player reading this board, at any time, but especially when things are not soaring....you deserve pain. You can't fix any player that stupid. If you are getting social media messages that are not to your liking... don't read them...make twitter private. That excuse is way too fragile. You recruited the wrong players if they are wimpering because they are playing poorly and sensitive to criticism. My gosh....life is about choices....take control, play better. Not capable of playing better? Then don't read the negative comments. Talk to mom. Get a girlfriend who cares about you....anything but whining our feelings are hurt! It's a ffffing football team!

Is coach really talking about his players or himself? Do players reflect the attitude of their coach? Jerry was way too sensitive yesterday but this is a day later he's whining about criticism.
Five words: Easy for you to say.

I think there is a fair amount of over-simplifying that is going on here at GH and the solution is a little more complicated that the average fan realizes.

A fair amount? Most people going off on this board have watched 2-3 games on TV and not a minute of practice.

The insults of players on Twitter is the reason Pitino banned it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for that incisive advice. Kill, his staff, and the players are now armed with the success formula that they need.

Pretty easy to be as anonymous toolbox on the internet taking pot shots at kids.

do you mean young men? because leidner, just to take one example, is old enough to legally drink alcohol, smoke weed in the state of colorado, and be on his second deployment as a member of the u.s. armed forces.

do you mean young men? because leidner, just to take one example, is old enough to legally drink alcohol, smoke weed in the state of colorado, and be on his second deployment as a member of the u.s. armed forces.

So what? Does reaching a certain age automatically mean that someone should be immune to crass insults from sphincters whose boldness and bravery is only enabled by the lack of accountability afforded by anonymity?

So what? Does reaching a certain age automatically mean that someone should be immune to crass insults from sphincters whose boldness and bravery is only enabled by the lack of accountability afforded by anonymity?

please reread. i never said that. i never took a stance on "taking pot shots". i am not on twitter, facebook or tumblr. what do you consider a kid?

please reread. i never said that. i never took a stance on "taking pot shots". i am not on twitter, facebook or tumblr. what do you consider a kid?

OK, so you seemed to be drawing some kind of distinction between "kids" and "young men." Again, so what? What is your point? Pretty sure my response stands regardless, but happy to be corrected if not.

let me make it clear. is a 21 year old a kid?

let me make it clear. is a 21 year old a kid?

Let me make this clear: Who cares? The kind of nasty, vile garbage being thrown by anonymous jackasses on social media could cause almost anyone to be shocked and dismayed, regardless of their age. This is an era where the worst urges of humanity finds an outlet, with no accountability, through the bullying power of anonymous social media. I don't care how old the target is, the behavior is reprehensible.

I think I have made my point multiple times, I still do not understand yours. Please help me.

And we do have common ground on the the Badgers needing destruction!

Let me make this clear: Who cares? The kind of nasty, vile garbage being thrown by anonymous jackasses on social media could cause almost anyone to be shocked and dismayed, regardless of their age. This is an era where the worst urges of humanity finds an outlet, with no accountability, through the bullying power of anonymous social media. I don't care how old the target is, the behavior is reprehensible.

I think I have made my point multiple times, I still do not understand yours. Please help me.

And we do have common ground on the the Badgers needing destruction!

i agree with you 100%.

however, i never took a stance in favor of being a dick on the internet. just the definition of a kid.

Five words: Easy for you to say.

Careful or Mr. Internet Tough Guy will have another hissy fit and claim you're trying to shut him up and that you are mean to him. Hyperbole is his forte.

Thank you for that incisive advice. Kill, his staff, and the players are now armed with the success formula that they need.

They can choose my other alternative...don't pay any attention to the criticism. As a coach why would you whine about something you can't control? How does that help? Change what you do control.

They can choose my other alternative...don't pay any attention to the criticism. As a coach why would you whine about something you can't control? How does that help? Change what you do control.

I would like to think, as a graduate of the university, they still encourage students to think, and be good consumers of media. Every device has an OFF switch. Infantalizing grown men in order to squelch dissent is no more honorable than gopherfunguy55336 posting "My sister can throw better than our QB".

Did Kill insinuate Croft wasn't ready when they were getting him warmed up Saturday?

Top Bottom