GopherHole's Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 4/5/15

DL65

Reaction score
Coach Jerry Kill’s comments and responses to queries by Sid Hartman and Dave Mona are as follows:

1) Sid opened the questioning asking who impressed him in yesterday’s scrimmage: Coach Kill answered Hartman’s question pretty much in a general way, “As a team, offense did some good things . . . overall, a good solid scrimmage.” However, he also acknowledged the offense did not finish some drives – getting the ball in the endzone.

He sounded positive when discussing the defensive side of the ball; however, he said there were some lapses at times, which they need to correct – looking for consistency.

Kill did mention one player when discussing the team’s defense; however, I’m not sure of the name given. (The player is a defensive lineman.) He sounded very pleased with the player’s progress and effort this spring. The defensive lineman has been battling some injuries this spring and he “turned an ankle” yesterday. Nevertheless, Kill sounded very happy with his play and cited the player’s toughness. (If someone knows the player’s name, please post his identity.)

2) Sid wanted to know if any of the redshirts will contribute this year and possibly start: Kill, once again, cited the three wide receivers that have been mentioned in previous shows: Isaiah Gentry, Desmond Gant, and Melvin Holland.

Isaiah Gentry has been hobbled with “a slight hamstring” injury. He anticipates Gentry will be able to participate in next Saturday’s scrimmage, which will conclude this year’s spring drills.

Desmond Gant has not been practicing after he suffered a concussion.

Although he’s not a redshirt, Kill spoke positively about Jeff Jones abilities and that he has been practicing as a receiver and running back.

A fifth player that Kill cited – and one that he said he hasn’t mentioned lately – is Berkley Edwards. He expects good things from Edwards, especially now that he’s had a year under his belt, because he’s been getting a lot of reps this spring, and that he is getting more comfortable.

On a positive note, Kill said they feel very good about the team’s running backs and the team’s offense.

As to Sid's question about redshirts starting, Kill said they'll wait and see what happens.

3) Dave Mona asked for an update on quarterback Chris Streveler: “He’s done a good job . . . working with the second team,” answered Kill.

Kill also sounded very positive about quarterbacks Conor Rhoda and Jacques Perra.

Coach Kill likes the competition that’s taking place at the quarterback position, “Our quarterbacks have gotten better!”

4) Kill was asked if the Gophers will have a better passing game this fall: Kill quickly responded, “We can’t lose our identity as a running team.” However, he quickly added, “We’ll have to be better (passing the ball).”

He said they had a good game passing against Missouri in January’s Citrus Bowl. (Kill said the same thing a couple weeks ago. At that time he spoke positively about Leidner’s passing against the Tigers, but he also said they were inconsistent and they’re striving for consistency.) He inferred the same thing today on the Sports Huddle. What he also wants is a more balanced attack offensively to keep opposing defenses honest and not becoming a one-dimensional offense. The perfect scenario would be, according to Kill, 250 yards passing and 250 yards rushing.

Kill also said if they had had a stronger, consistent passing attack last year they might have won two or three more games.

5) Dave asked how defensive lineman and redshirt Gary Moore is doing in spring drills: “He’s had a good spring . . . He’s done a good job,” said Kill.

6) Sid asked how Josh Campion is doing at his new position, guard: “It’s been a good move for him,” replied Kill.

Coach Kill sounded upbeat and pleased with the offensive line’s versatility. He proceeded to list a few linemen who have looked good during spring drills: Ben Lauer, Jonah Pirsig, and Connor Mayes. Connor Mayes has been practicing at guard and center. When he mentioned Jon Christenson, Kill said Jon may be moved to guard when he returns to the team this fall. Of course, he would also be available at the center position. Kill sounded pleased with the competition at center.

7) Dave Mona asked what the fans can expect to see at next Saturday’s scrimmage: Kill said a lot will depend on the injury status of some of the players and “staying healthy” . . . may have to hold some out.” He also said they have to be careful with the players that have been injured. (I took his last comment to mean that if a player is not fully recovered he may not be available for the scrimmage.) Nevertheless, he hopes to run 80 to 100 plays.

As in all spring scrimmages, the quarterback will be protected and are not to be hit/tackled. All others, however, will be going full steam. (In past weeks, Kill said he expects the team to practice and play physical football.)

8) Sid opined that some internet sites have said Minnesota has the third best offensive line in the Big Ten, behind Ohio State and Michigan State: Although he didn’t address the labeling by the internet sites, Kill did sound positive about this year’s contingent of offensive linemen.

He finished by saying Nate Wozniak had a good scrimmage, yesterday, “I think he played real well . . . made some plays for us.” Kill sounded upbeat and positive with Wozniak’s return to the practice field after being injured in a late season game, last year.

9) Sid, once again, asked for an update on Jeff Jones: Kill answered by saying Jeff Jones has been practicing as a running back and a receiver (slotback), “Learning both positions . . . has done well at both positions.” According to Kill, Jones asked if he could workout at the receiving position. Once again, Kill told Dave and Sid that he doesn’t want a talented player standing next to him during the game and not seeing the field.

Kill closed the question and his weekly segment on the Sports Huddle saying, “Plenty of talent on offense.”

I want to wish all GopherHole members and lurkers a Happy Easter, and Shalom to our Jewish friends observing Passover!

Go Gophers!!

Coach Jerry Kill’s comments and responses to queries by Sid Hartman and Dave Mona are as follows:

1) Sid opened the questioning asking who impressed him in yesterday’s scrimmage: Coach Kill answered Hartman’s question pretty much in a general way, “As a team, offense did some good things . . . overall, a good solid scrimmage.” However, he also acknowledged the offense did not finish some drives – getting the ball in the endzone.

He sounded positive when discussing the defensive side of the ball; however, he said there were some lapses at times, which they need to correct – looking for consistency.

Kill did mention one player when discussing the team’s defense; however, I’m not sure of the name given. (The player is a defensive lineman.) He sounded very pleased with the player’s progress and effort this spring. The defensive lineman has been battling some injuries this spring and he “turned an ankle” yesterday. Nevertheless, Kill sounded very happy with his play and cited the player’s toughness. (If someone knows the player’s name, please post his identity.)

Go Gophers!!

The player he mentioned was Yoshoub Timms.

At the end of practice yesterday the whole team was meeting at mid field and Kill called Timms up in front of everyone. I have no idea what was being said (too far away), but appeared to be some recognition. Probably related to Kill giving him some props today on the show.

Thanks DL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DL, you're the best in the business! As always, thanks for your excellent reports.

If I had some ham, I'd have ham and eggs if I had some eggs.

This quote never gets old ��

He finished by saying Nate Wozniak had a good scrimmage, yesterday, “I think he played real well . . . made some plays for us.” Kill sounded upbeat and positive with Wozniak’s return to the practice field after being injured in a late season game, last year.

I wonder if we'll see Wozniak split wide near the goal line. Anyone see in practice yet? I would think with his height this would be a no brainer.

As always, thanks DL.

Thanks for taking the time to do this on a busy family day. We appreciate the Mrs support as well.

In the spring of his true freshman year they would throw sideline passes high on his outside shoulder and the db had no shot at the ball.

In the spring of his true freshman year they would throw sideline passes high on his outside shoulder and the db had no shot at the ball.

That was Mitch trying to throw low and to the inside.

A thank you is not enough for all you do each week. But thanks once again for this.

At the end of practice yesterday the whole team was meeting at mid field and Kill called Timms up in front of everyone. I have no idea what was being said (too far away), but appeared to be some recognition. Probably related to Kill giving him some props today on the show.

I heard a little bit of what Kill was saying about Timms. Something about sticking in there and then something along the lines of "stand up and stick your chest out a little, you've earned it" and the whole team clapped and cheered. Timms rolled his ankle on a a play and came up real slow and hobbled down to where the ball was set (the play he was hurt was a fairly large gain so he had a ways to go) and since he was so slow coach kill was yelling at him (using some colorful language that is against the rules here) which must have motivated Timms because the next play they ran right at him and he held his ground in the middle for no gain. Not bad for barely being able to walk to the line.

Top Bottom