GopherHole's Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 4-07-13

DL65

Reaction score
1) Sid opened the questioning by saying he understood Coach Kill was going to attend the Masters in Augusta, Georgia: Kill responded saying that, as he was speaking, he's enroute to New Prague for a function. He acknowledged, however, that he was going to Augusta for the Masters on Thursday. As a result, they'll have an evening practice Wednesday. He'll be back on Friday.

2) Sid said the weather hasn't been the best for spring drills: "The weather hasn't deterred us," Kill replied. He went onto say that the've been able to accomplish much of what they had set out to do by conducting the drills inside the practice facility. They've been able to conduct some scrimmages inside as well.

3) Sid asked if there were any specific players that have stood out or have made progress: Kill said, "Our team has made progress . . . indoor facility was packed yesterday . . . (team has shown) good intensity . . . working better together." (In the past, Kill has said having good crowds at the practices has been a plus. It keeps the players focused and sharp in their drills.) Kill also said the coaching staff has been making progress, too.

4) Sid asked Kill to comment about competition during spring drills: He said competiton has been good and then specifically mentioned the secondary and offensive line (no names given, however). He closed the question by saying they're trying to build depth: "To succeed in the Big 10 you need depth . . . have junior and seniors playing . . . we need to get older." He stressed the importance of team depth and maturity in the starting units.

5) Dave Mona asked about the rapid pace of the practices: Kill responded: "We meet as a team before practice and tell them what we're going to do and what we're going to focus on." He then said, "Kids are focused with good intensity." He's pleased with the team's response in practice and the progress that they're making.

6) Sid, once again, asked about the four recruits that reported early: Kill responded by saying he preferred to discuss positions; he then talked about the linebackers: Damien Wilson and Jack Lynn have had good practices and are athletic. Lamonte Edwards had a good practice yesterday . . . "showed up." Nick Rallis was mentioned as well.

Kill then turned to the secondary. He sounded very positive about Eric Murray. Kill said Murray is a tremendous athlete, has a good physique, and comes to every practice focused and ready to play. (Murray now weighs 195 pounds, which is a lot more than he weighed when he arrived on campus last summer.) Kill also mentioned Antonio Johnson of Cleveland, Ohio. Johnson "Has done a great job at safety."

Hendrick Ekpe, a true freshman, was cited for his growth and speed at DE. Ekpe now weighs 250 pounds. (Hendrick's brother, Scott, experienced a similar growth rate when he reported early last year.)

Kill closed out the question by saying "Tight ends are going to be good . . . receivers have progressed."

7) Sid then asked Kill to talk about the linebackers (final question): Kill replied, "Linebackers are getting a lot of reps . . . four more linebackers coming in (this summer) that will add depth."

Go Gophers!!

How do these guys call themselves reporters or even sports guys when they go through an entire interview and don't as about the highest rated recruit on team sustaining a knee injury in practice the day before? What a joke the Twin City media is...waste of breathe.

How do these guys call themselves reporters or even sports guys when they go through an entire interview and don't as about the highest rated recruit on team sustaining a knee injury in practice the day before? What a joke the Twin City media is...waste of breathe.

Agree, GIP. No questions about Pirsig nor any others re: injuries. I was hoping to get some info on Jonah.

That is why he gets paid the big bucks!
they can ask, but I am not sure Kill can answer thaat question until JP authorizes him to do that. I believe there are privacy policies that prevent coaches from saying anything about an injury, except acknowledging it, before they have permission.
Secondly, they might not know until today or tomorrow what the extent of the injury might be. I believe they sometimes they wait to reduce swelling to do diagnostic imaging.

Agree, GIP. No questions about Pirsig nor any others re: injuries. I was hoping to get some info on Jonah.

Seriously?

It's private information. Always.

You'll find out when it's not, like everyone else. You guys are both good posters on this board, but c'mon.

Seriously?

It's private information. Always.

You'll find out when it's not, like everyone else. You guys are both good posters on this board, but c'mon.

Who knows, they may have talked about it before Kill went on the air and Kill told them just to not even ask about it because he couldn't answer.

Who knows, they may have talked about it before Kill went on the air and Kill told them just to not even ask about it because he couldn't answer.

Was going to say the exact same thing. I am sure the SID lays out what Kill will and what he won't talk about before the show even starts. They can choose to ignore it and ask the question anyway but all that will do is piss of the coach and jeprodize the future of the show.

Was going to say the exact same thing. I am sure the SID lays out what Kill will and what he won't talk about before the show even starts. They can choose to ignore it and ask the question anyway but all that will do is piss of the coach and jeprodize the future of the show.

You are giving Sid way to much credit. The truth is that he has a list of questions that he keeps in his pocket. Each week he pulls out that list and asks the questions on the list. That is why he asks the same questions week after week.

Good one - he asks about the new kids every week! High school kids! Gets old ! Sid should sit that one outreach week !

Good stuff DL, I don't know how you do it. I happened to be driving when the show started and I had to turn the station. I cannot stand to listen to Sid anymore, he is so out of it and his voice grates me for some reason. So, thanks a bunch DL!

You are giving Sid way to much credit. The truth is that he has a list of questions that he keeps in his pocket. Each week he pulls out that list and asks the questions on the list. That is why he asks the same questions week after week.

Ummm...SID (capitalized) stands for Sports Information Director.

The ironic thing is that Sid is always talking about the great job that Starkey hearing aids do for him - and yet, if you listen to the show, it's pretty clear that a lot of the time, he can't hear what Kill or the callers are saying. Either that, or he's daydreaming about going to Branson and picking up younger women. (if you've never been to Branson - they tend to attact an older audience.....)

Top Bottom