GopherHole's Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 3/24/13

DL65

Reaction score
Sorry to report, I missed the first part of today's Jerry Kill segment. Just as the intro music started I lost my internet connection with WCCO. I'm looking forward to Killjoy's podcast thread and I'll add what I missed ( approximately seven minutes).

In any case, Kill's comments and responses to Dave Mona and Sid Hartman's questions are as follows:

1) The first words that I heard when I was reconnected were those of Coach Kill: "Need to continue improve the program."

2) Sid then made a comment about spring ball saying it has to be different from the previous two because of known personnel: Kill acknowledged they know the personalities of the players. Additionally, the players know what's expected of them, and having the coaching staff remain intact is a big plus.

Kill also credited the players of the past two years that were present when he arrived at Minnesota. He said they've played a big part in the team's progress and becoming bowl eligible last year.

3) Mona asked about players that would be withheld from spring drills: Kill said Ed Olson, Zach Mottla, Roland Johnson will be busy with their rehab and will not participate in spring drills. Additionally, he said they'll be cautious with anyone with knee-related problems.

Marcus Jones will see limited action in this year's spring drills. Jones is also moving to the cornerback position. Kill said Jones played in the secondary in high school.

4) Mona then asked if there will be additional position changes: Kill replied, "None now."

But Kill did say that Derrick Wells will be playing some corner, too.

Kill said Nick Rallis will play as an outside linebacker. Rallis had been recruited as a safety/linebacker; however, he has bulked upto 227 pounds - good size for an outside linebacker. Kill acknowledged being thin at the linebacker position; however, he mentioned Lamonte Edwards and Damien Wilson and the redshirted linebackers will be getting a lot of reps in spring drills, which they need. He also said they're looking forward to incoming linebackers (recruits) that'll be joining the team this summer.

Kill said they have more depth in the secondary, defensive line and offensive line, and that's what they want to achieve - depth at all positions.

Go Gophers!!

Posting of the podcast of today's Sports Huddle

DL - I always feel a little foolish when I post the podcast since your notes are so much better than the original but today I will feel better knowing that you will be able to use it. I will keep an eye out for the podcast from WCCO. It is often available by 2:00 pm but sometimes they don't make it available until Monday morning.

I'm surprised by the switch of Marcus Jones to cornerback, we must have thought he wouldn't see much PT behind Harbison and Maye (even Banham was taking a lot of snaps from the slot at the bowl game).

Jones is quick and there is definitely an oppportunity to play at corner, so I hope the switch works for him.

Bob_Loblaw

I'm surprised by the switch of Marcus Jones to cornerback, we must have thought he wouldn't see much PT behind Harbison and Maye (even Banham was taking a lot of snaps from the slot at the bowl game).

Jones is quick and there is definitely an oppportunity to play at corner, so I hope the switch works for him.

I am not quite sure who we now have playing at the slot position. It would seem to me that Jamel Harbison is our starter, assuming that he is ready to go. KJ Maye would be next in line but who else are candidates to play that position? As you mentioned in your post Cole Banham is a definite possibility. What about Donovahn Jones? Are there others?

I am not quite sure who we now have playing at the slot position. It would seem to me that Jamel Harbison is our starter, assuming that he is ready to go. KJ Maye would be next in line but who else are candidates to play that position? As you mentioned in your post Cole Banham is a definite possibility. What about Donovahn Jones? Are there others?
I'd project Eric Carter as a slot receiver. Wolitarsky has the size to play outside, but his speed has been questioned, so he may be better off inside as well.

DL65 - you didn't miss much. For the 3rd or 4th week in a row, Sid started out by asking Kill about the 4 players who enrolled early!!!! (I know he's 93 yrs old, but can't he come up with 1 new question?) Kill did expand a little bit on Hinojosa - as best I recall, said there was an issue with his transcript (not necessarily with grades) so Kill "placed" him with this Junior College because he has some kind of a connection with school. Kill said now he (Jordan) has a year of experience, and the U still has the option to redshirt him if the coaches feel he needs more time to develop. (this is certainly not verbatim - I was riding my exercise bike, so I may have missed little bits here and there.)

Kill also talked a little bit about the schedule for Spring practice - I believe a team meeting Sunday night, and practice starting Tuesday. I also think Kill mentioned something about the weather keeping them indoors, and having some kind of an impact on what they will/may do.

And I think there was a little talk about the off-season workouts, with the competition between the different groups of players.

Thanks, short ornery norwegian! You're right on with your comments . . . I just listened to the podcast that Killjoy posted in his weekly thread. Thanks, Killjoy!

The first part of the show is as follows and is an addendum to what I posted earlier:

1) Sid opened by saying he imagined Jerry Kill is ready for spring drills: Kill replied, "We're excited to get the team back from spring break . . . we'll have a team meeting tonight . . . 3:30 p.m. practice on Tuesday. Looking forward to getting the team back out (on the practice field) and moving forward from the bowl game."

2) Sid asked about the four recruits that started school in January (Chris Streveler,QB; Hendrick Ekpe, DE; Jordan Hinojosa, DT; & Damien Wilson, LB): "It's always good to get a jump start . . . all four at critical positions. . . . we're excited about those guys coming in, being able to learn the system."

3) Sid then asked if one of the recruits was in Junior College last year because of grades: Kill quickly responded, "No." He then started talking about Damien Wilson that had spent last year at a Mississippi JC. "Damien Wilson is related to David Cobbs . . . is an inside linebacker, 6-2, 250 pounds . . . can really run . . . great instincts . . . fits Big 10 linebacker look."

Kill then turned his comments to Jordan Hinojosa: "Didn't have grade problems . . . paperwork didn't come in until late . . . placed in him junior college (Coffeyville)." Kill said he has some coaching connections at the Kansas school and Jordan gained experience during his stay there. Minnesota has an option of redshirting Jordan this year.

Kill closed the question saying they've only had one recruiting class (2012) on campus thus far. Consequently they'll take some players with two or three years in eligibility, as they're trying make up some numbers (unbalanced recruiting classes and losses in previous classes) and he said that's not going happen overnight.

4) Dave Mona asked if Kill had any special traditions (training-related) for spring drills: Kill said they've already been taken care of in off-season workouts. Recently they had competitive weight, strength, and speed workouts. He said approximately 85% of the team improved their weight and small percentage remained the same. They posted the individual/team results. Players met with position coaches and discussed their individual results. They also compared their results with those (positions) in the NFL. (Showing those that aspire to reach the NFL what they need to do physically.)

Kill said he's holding the players and coaches accountable in spring drills. "We've gotten better over the past couple years, but we've go to get better and move the program forward."

Those are the questions and comments that I missed when I lost my internet connection this morning.

Go Gophers!!

P.S. Because of family commitments next Sunday (Easter), I won't be covering the Sports Huddle live. However, when the podcast is up I'll transcribe the questions and comments.

DL -I will post the podcast by 4:00 pm Sunday if it is available. At that time I will also have family obligations but will check later in the evening to see if it is available.

Derrick Engel was the number one slot last year ahead of jones most of the season!

Derrick Engel was the number one slot last year ahead of jones most of the season!

Thanks - I seem to have a difficult time in tracking which positions our receivers are playing.

Jones reminds me of Stoudemire: a guy who has some ability with the ball in his hands, but not an every down receiver and more suited to CB. I hope the move works for him...

Top Bottom