GopherHole's Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 2/24/13

DL65

Reaction score
Coach Kill appeared on the Sports Huddle at his new time slot of 10:05 a.m. He was on for one segment. Coach Kill will be on for one segment at 10:05 a.m. until spring drills.

1) Sid opened the segment asking about the possibliity of going to 9 or 10 conference games and whether or not he is in favor of the additional conference game(s): Kill responded saying nothing is certain yet. However, he went on to say: "I wouldn't be surprised if we added 2-4 more teams to the Big Ten Conference." As a result, he expects to see 9 or 10 conference games in the twelve game schedule. He expects to see 4 power conferences, which will be involved in the BCS playoffs.

He also said: "We have to control what we can control . . . getting better." This comment was midway through his response to Sid's query. In short, the presidents and ADs will be bringing about the major changes (conference realignments), which are beyond his control.

When Sid opened with the question about additional conference games he inferred that coaches, including assistants, weren't in favor of additional conference games. Kill acknowledged additional games in conference would be tough . . . grind on the players. He briefly inferred that conference play is tough week in and week out.

2) Sid asked about new coaches that the Gophers will be facing this year and how tough it is to prepare for them: Kill said it's about history . . . checking out what they've done in the past and the coordinators that they've hired. (Looking for tendancies. Coaches have history and they bring that to their new positions.)

Kill acknowledged it's "hard to prepare for the unknown," especially games at the start of the season (1st games) when it comes to facing new coaches.

3) Sid, once again, asked about the four recruits that are already on campus: Kill sounded excited about the four and about the team's effort. He said the following about the four recruits on campus:

"Damien Wilson can really run"
"Hendrick Ekpe has put on 14 pounds and weighs 240 pounds."
"Chris Streveler is a 4.5 guy that can change direction."
"Jordan Hinojosa is defensive tackle that's working hard."

Kill then told the audience that Berkley Edwards won the Michigan 60 meter sprint yesterday (state title).

Kill concluded the question saying they've improved the team in speed and athleticism!

4) Mona said Marquies Gray ran a 4.69 forty this morning: Kill said he always maintained Gray was a 4.7 guy. By running the 4.69 he proved him right. He's excited for Marquies Gray.

Later, after the Kill segment was over, Mona said he thinks the pros are looking at Gray as a receiver. If he's plays tight end, he'll have to put on more weight. He added, a 4.7 tight end would be impressive.

5) Sid asked if Zach Mottla would be ready for spring drills: Kill said, "No . . . We want to be smart." He said Jon Christenson now weighs 305 and is doing a good job. He said he expects good competition at the center position, including the Ohio State transfer.

6) Mona asked if the practice locker room project was completed: Kill said it was completed . . . "Good for the kids (attitude)" . . . people did an outstanding job in refurbishing the locker room.

7) Maxx Williams: "He's going to be a great player in our program." Kill said he could have played last year, but they wanted to redshirt him, especially after he suffered an injury in the fall that set him back a little.

Kill then said he's excited with last year's recruits and redshirts. The Gophers played 11 true freshmen last year and in the bowl game. The 11 redshirts gained valuable training in bowl game preparations.

8) Sid asked about charity events/projects: Kill said the recent bone marrow match project was a success. They're planning a special project for the spring game and are working to establish a Gary Tinsley scholarship.

9) Mona asked about Kill's recent participation at a NIKE camp in St. Louis and an upcoming NIKE camp in Philadelphia: Kill said the camps help in recruiting. It's an opportunity to connect and reconnect with high school coaches . . . "It's all about relationships." He said he knows a lot of the coaches in the St. Louis and Kansas City areas. (He was a high school coach in the St. Louis area before he advanced to the collegiate level, and, of course, has recruited the state of Missouri when he was at Southern Illinois and Northern Illinois and while at Pittsburgh State, and now that he's at Minnesota.)

Go Gophers!!

Thanks DL65. Looking forward to Maxx getting playing time next year as well!

Well done, and a sincere thank you, as always, DL.

DL - I have a Gopherhole crush on you! Thanks for your Sunday Huddle work again....read your update EVERY Sunday.

Thanks to everyone for your gracious comments!

Kill's comments about Berkley Edwards being the state (Michigan) 60 meter sprint champ is a positive note . . . breakaway speed at the runningback position sounds promising.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks, guys. Class all the way.

Prime coverage as usual, DL.

Just a theory that I may sit in the minority with--but I see OSU and another school, maybe Michigan, leaving the B1G. Gain 4, lose 2.

I see a new football-driven 16-18 team Super Conference, with schools like OSU, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Texas and maybe even Notre Dame. The other schools will consolidate into the other three.

It would not shock me in the least if Wisconsin moved to another conference just to prove how "elite" they are. Barry has just enough bravado to talk the school into it.

I guess we'll see how this all shakes out.

Interesting thought. Suggest you start a separate thread on this topic.

Just a theory that I may sit in the minority with--but I see OSU and another school, maybe Michigan, leaving the B1G. Gain 4, lose 2.

I see a new football-driven 16-18 team Super Conference, with schools like OSU, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Texas and maybe even Notre Dame. The other schools will consolidate into the other three.

It would not shock me in the least if Wisconsin moved to another conference just to prove how "elite" they are. Barry has just enough bravado to talk the school into it.

Normally I would just simply let this go...but not today.

No B1G team will be leaving our conference...nor will any Big 12 Team be leaving, without some significant negotiations. Unlike the ACC, Big East and others...the B1G and Big 12 schools have signed over ALL THEIR TELEVISION RIGHTS to the conference. In other words, if they leave without consent of the conference, any TV revenue they generate for their new conference would be owed to their old conference...for life! Compare this to the ACC $50 million penalty....B1G teams will earn $25 mil going to $40 plus mil per year from TV rights...so the first ten years of leaving the B1G would cost a school upwards of $300 mil plus. No super conference could make up that difference...especially for 5-8 teams that would need to come from B1G and Big 12.

It just isn't going to happen. My assumption is we will have 4 major football conferences with 14-20 teams per conference (not all equal) and each conference winner will play in a 4 team playoff for the National Championship. And each conference will have 10-12 conference games to maximize revenue for their TV deals. Good bye cup cakes. Oh...BTW - we won't need the NCAA to manage football anymore...could see a new governing body comprised of the the 4 conferences getting together and eliminating the very expensive and poorly managed NCAA...or at the very least a reorganization of the NCAA and how it is managed forced by the threat of secession.

Great job, DL. You make my Sundays (or sometimes Monday or later hen I am out of the loop).

Super Conference? Which of the super teams are willing to sit at the bottom? They will remain at or very near the top here they are now. They won't in a super conference.

good posts Philly, and the super confernce made up of all helmet schools would not attract those teams anyway. At this point I can't see anyone not willing to play the way the SEC follows rules deciding they want to play multiple SEC teams every year.

Minority? You mean lone soldier.

I am skeptical of all times, most are reported too low, a few are actually too high.

Top Bottom