GopherHole's Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 2/17/13

DL65

Reaction score
Dave Mona returned to the Sports Huddle after a two-week hiatus. He joined Sid Hartman in asking coach Kill about possible rule changes coming down from the NCAA, B1G Conference scheduling expansion, and a couple text messages.

1) Sid opened the questioning with a comment. He said hockey and basketball always seem to fare well in rule changes, however, he was negative about changes that affect college football: Coach Kill responded by talking about the recent B1G Conference Coaches meeting. He sounded positive about the discussions between the coaches and that the B1G Conference is taking the lead with the NCAA about potential rule changes: "I think Big 10 did a good job getting together and has taken the lead with the NCAA."

Kill's and other coaches are concerned with possible rule changes on recruiting (becoming more open or too expansive . . . especially the recruiting of juniors). He stressed the importance of what's best for the kids, and he has concerns that the rule changes in recruiting could adversely affect the high school coaches, too. (As an illustration: If college coaches are allowed open recruiting of juniors, a burden will be placed on high school coaches - being called out of classrooms to meet with college coaches and the players. That's now done with high school senior players.) "We need to look at it closer," Kill said. He also said the high school coaches should have a greater say in the recruiting rule changes (being heard).

He expects a lot of changes to be discussed and flushed out in the next three months and by August 1st.

2) Sid asked what the most negative parts in the possible rule changes are: Kill said, "From an institutional viewpoint . . . recruiting high school players." Again he was concerned about the relaxation and expansion of current rules. It could become truly cost prohibitive; some schools (cited Alabama) will have larger staffs devoted to recruiting and newer facilities (financial costs to do business and compete will increase substantially). He said the high school coaches are not all for it and "They must have a say."

3) Sid asked about a possible early signing date: "We've talked about it . . . if you recruit juniors, you'll have to do that (get an early signing date)."

He also said the football coaches need to study and evaluate what the basketball coaches did in bringing about changes. (He stressed, however, the big difference between the two sports when it comes to recruiting: Basketball is concerned about five players (potential recruits), whereas, football has so many more slots to fill. As to a early signing day: "(We'll have to) Come up with a calendar that everyone agrees on . . . we'll know more in May and August."

4) Sid, once again, asked how the four recruits in this year's class that are already on campus are doing: "All four are athletic . . . good group . . . excited about them and the team . . . work ethic is good." Kill also favorably compared this year's early arrivals with last year's group that arrived on campus in January. He sounded positive about the group and the team as a whole. He said there's more leadership being displayed and said the players have bought into the new system . . . the Minnesota Golden Gophers football team has undergone a change in culture. Again, sounded positive.

5) Mona asked for Kill's thoughts regarding the Vikings coming to TCF Band Stadium: "It's an opportunity." He said they've already utilized the Vikings in different ways. He sounded positive about the partnership. He said the Vikings have been supportive of the Gopher team and coach Kill: "Part of life is working together . . . we'll use it in recruiting (that the Vikings are on campus)." As to the Vikings playing at TCF Bank Stadium, he views it as an opportunity that's good for the U, the Twin Cities and the state of Minnesota: "College football one day and pro the next day."

6) Sid asked about heating coils being installed at TCF Bank Stadium: Kill said nothing is solidified yet; however, there have been ongoing discussions. "There'll be things that'll help our program."

7) Mona asked two text message questions - Preferred Walkons was the first one: "We continue to work hard (in developing the walkon program) . . . I think we're in pretty good shape." He went onto say they hope to sign 3 or 4 more preferred walkon players to this year's class.

The second question was related to a player from Columbia Heights, JoJuan Harper. Harper is a running back. Kill's response: "He's done a great job . . . looking forward to spring (wanting to see how he's progressed)." He sounded excited about Harper's effort.

8) Sid asked about scheduling and the possible expansion of conference games: "I think it's going to be a big thing (topic of discussion by the ADs and administrations) in the next three months." He sees the conference schedule increasing to 9 games and possibly 10: "I don't think (it's a feeling) they'll stay at eight conference games."

He also said there'll be discussions about team realignments because of the conference's admissions of Maryland and Rutgers. He looks for more information to be forthcoming, especially by August 1.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks again, DL65.

I was wondering about JoJuan Harper. I met him a while ago when he was working at Cub one afternoon. He saw me with my Gopher hat and we started talking about how he really wanted to be a Gopher. It sure seemed like he was a good kid (great attitude) and I thought he had a good spring practice last year?

Top Bottom