GopherHole's Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 1/19/14

DL65

Reaction score
Coach Kill was only the Sports Huddle earlier than announced last week. He appeared on the weekly show at about 9:50 a.m. instead of 10:05 a.m. The change was to accommodate the schedule of new Viking coach, Mike Zimmer. At the start of the segment, Kill said he had just met with a recruit and his parents; obviously, no name given.

1) Sid opened the questioning by asking about the Gophers’ quarterback situation: Kill replied, “We feel very good about our football team and our quarterback situation.” Later he said he didn’t want to focus on the past (Nelson and Harbison leaving). As to the current quarterbacks, he mentioned Leidner, Streveler, freshman QB (McKinzy – name not given and won’t be until he’s enrolled – is on campus for second semester), and Conor Rhoda.

Kill finished the question, saying, “I said a year ago, we’ll be better.” Kill sounded very upbeat about the team and didn’t sound concerned about the QB position, IMO.

2) Sid asked if Dominic McKinzy was on campus: He is, and as stated above, Kill can’t say anything about him until they get him enrolled. Kill did sound excited when he briefly talked about McKinzy.

The big take away from the second question, “After the bowl game we told the players (that they) need to be starving when they get back.”

He also said Adam Weber has been working with Mitch Leidner.

3) Dave Mona asked Kill if the departure of Nelson and Harbison freed up two additional scholarships, and, if so, would they be using the two scholarships for a quarterback and receiver: Kill’s response was immediate and succinct, “Hate talking about the past . . . we have some flexibility about future adjustments in recruiting.” As a result, they may be looking for another quarterback, a couple receivers, possibly a running back and a defensive back. He also mentioned taking care of walk-on punter Peter Mortell with a scholarship.

As to their current recruiting effort, “Make sure we put in the right pieces . . . (we have) tough schedule and we have to get after it.” He concluded, “Didn’t finish the job in the bowl game.” Again, he reiterated that he wants the team to return to school, weight training, and spring ball “starving.”

4) Sid complimented Kill on the team’s academics (earlier in the program, Kill spoke positively about their success in the classroom): “Goes hand-and-hand, have to go to class,” said Kill.

Kill quickly switched topics and talked about the National Coaches Convention. He said he sat next to Art Briles of Baylor and Stanford’s head coach, Shaw, at the convention banquet, “Talked about quarterback play.” He sounded excited and pleased with this year’s experience at the annual meeting.

He finished up talking the importance of finishing up this recruiting class. He and his staff will be on the road the next two weeks.

Go Gophers!!

- The recruit Kill met with could well be WR Melvin Holland who's in town for OV.

- Kill's answer about the QB is situation is about what one would expect. He's obviously not going to say it's a big blow to us.

- Very interested to see how Streveler's hand is come Spring practice as his injury was described as "career ending" by team insiders at the time it happened. Between the serious hand injury & the herky-jerky, 3/4 throwing motion, I honestly think there's abetter chance he ends up at WR or Free Safety down the road, with McKinzy playing the #2 role behind Leidner.

- Leidner is working with Adam Weber? There's a joke in there somewhere.

- Using a schollie on Mortell might be a good idea.

- I can't say enough good things about the academic success the team has achieved under Kill.

- I expect the staff to finish strong with the recruiting efforts.

My apologies to Mr. McKinzy: First name should read Dimonic.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks DL. I check out GH every Sunday for your write-up!

Kill still seems to consider Streveler a QB. The insiders were obviously wrong. Broken thumbs can require surgical repositioning/pinning etc and healing/rehab can take 3+ months. Like Coach has said we'll know more in a month or two. Streveler is a young man and should heal well. Somebody talk Costa Rican off the ledge about the QB situation.

Adam Weber was a fierce competitor and while he had some issues he did a good job overall. He represented the university well. He also spent a few years bouncing around the NFL so has some valuable insight to share on that.

Thanks as usual. I am glad you were on the job since I had planned to listen to it at 10:05. When I turned it on there was no Jerry Kill. My immediate thought was there a time change and if so was DL65 smarter than me. Thank god the answer was yes!

Kill still seems to consider Streveler a QB. The insiders were obviously wrong. Broken thumbs can require surgical repositioning/pinning etc and healing/rehab can take 3+ months. Like Coach has said we'll know more in a month or two. Streveler is a young man and should heal well. Somebody talk Costa Rican off the ledge about the QB situation.

Adam Weber was a fierce competitor and while he had some issues he did a good job overall. He represented the university well. He also spent a few years bouncing around the NFL so has some valuable insight to share on that.

May see Jones as a wild cat QB some to pick up some running snaps...change of pace.

As much as people bitched about Weber, if he was our QB last season we would have likely been a 10 win team.

- The recruit Kill met with could well be WR Melvin Holland who's in town for OV.

- Kill's answer about the QB is situation is about what one would expect. He's obviously not going to say it's a big blow to us.

- Very interested to see how Streveler's hand is come Spring practice as his injury was described as "career ending" by team insiders at the time it happened. Between the serious hand injury & the herky-jerky, 3/4 throwing motion, I honestly think there's abetter chance he ends up at WR or Free Safety down the road, with McKinzy playing the #2 role behind Leidner.

- Leidner is working with Adam Weber? There's a joke in there somewhere.

- Using a schollie on Mortell might be a good idea.

- I can't say enough good things about the academic success the team has achieved under Kill.

- I expect the staff to finish strong with the recruiting efforts.

I don't recall reading the detail of the injury. I thought it was in fall camp? What happened?

As much as people bitched about Weber, if he was our QB last season we would have likely been a 10 win team.

Weber did represent the University well. He got a tough draw here with all the different OC's and systems he had to learn/run. Sadly, he probably is the last above average Big Ten QB we've had.

He also said Adam Weber has been working with Mitch Leidner.

Working on showing Leidner how to perfect the 5 yard bounce pass, no doubt!:p

Joking aside, I like it. Weber was fun to watch before the rotating coordinator door ruined his overall development. Could've been a journeyman in the pros with a little more consistency in the program.

Thanks DL.

I agree with Koppco, I would love to have a QB with Weber's abilities back. He got the crap kicked out of him with bad pass blocking and he just quit throing.

I hope that if the players are starving there will be something available for them. A nice dish of beans and meat, perhaps.

If they are merely hungry, however, that will not be a positive development.

We're going to let our best WR play QB??? Sure hope not.

I don't know if you'd consider a wildcat QB to really be a QB. If Jones takes a couple snaps there a game (ala the "Wildcat"), it makes sense. It isn't much different than Jones taking an end around.

However, if he was talking about Jones actually getting snaps at the QB position, it doesn't make sense.

I don't know if you'd consider a wildcat QB to really be a QB. If Jones takes a couple snaps there a game (ala the "Wildcat"), it makes sense. It isn't much different than Jones taking an end around.

However, if he was talking about Jones actually getting snaps at the QB position, it doesn't make sense.

With as thin as we are at WR, he shouldn't take any snaps, even in the wildcat.

With as thin as we are at WR, he shouldn't take any snaps, even in the wildcat.

I'd be fine without him taking any snaps in the wildcat, but like I said, it's about the same risk of injury as running a jet sweep or even a WR screen.

I hope that if the players are starving there will be something available for them. A nice dish of beans and meat, perhaps.

If they are merely hungry, however, that will not be a positive development.

You must need to be a professor to have any idea what the hell this means.

Or you could have just been a fan of this team for more than the last few months, apparently.

Didn't even know the U had a team till last week.

FTR- I got the "hungry/starvin" ref, it was the other jibberish that still has me puzzled. Maybe after I've been a fan longer it'll make sense???

Its seems Coach Kill has been available nearly every Sunday and CBS Minnesota had him on around 10:00 AM according to DL. But this week he takes a back seat to the fawning over Zimmer, and since Zimmer cannot not accommodate CBS at 9 they ask Coach Kill if he could be ready an hour earlier with little notice. And this in the late stages of the recruiting season. The producer and possibly Dave Mona should know better. And who gave DL the call to be ready at 9? But DL is always ready.

I'm off suicide watch now. For the record, I don't think Nelson is the second coming of Peyton Manning, I just think he was out best QB, certainly our most experienced, was at the wheel for our exciting 4 game run this season & now we've got to go back to the drawing board behind Leidner in year 4. I want to win next year & breaking in yet another new QB is an obstacle we didn't need.

I don't recall reading the detail of the injury. I thought it was in fall camp? What happened?

Weber did represent the University well. He got a tough draw here with all the different OC's and systems he had to learn/run. Sadly, he probably is the last above average Big Ten QB we've had.

Not sure the exact nature of the hand injury but a poster at GI who's connected to the team said one of the other QB's told him it was "career ending" shortly after it happened & that one of the coaches said something to the effect that it "could be career ending". That was a long time ago now and obviously we've seen him on the sidelines playing catch since then. Now the question is can he grip/hold the ball in pressure situations, not just playing catch & that's likely to be determined in Spring practice. Also, it was no more than 2 weeks ago that Kill was publicly talking about moving Streveler to other positions (other posters have suggested WR, which could be (?), but I think he'd make a bad-ass Safety if QB doesn't work out) so that's something to consider as well.

I think that Streevler's hand injury may no longer be an issue. Just prior to his surgery, Coach Kill was taking about needing to wait until spring to know Streveler's status, now he's saying QB. I suspect that there was a very positive medical report from the doctor's.

Its seems Coach Kill has been available nearly every Sunday and CBS Minnesota had him on around 10:00 AM according to DL. But this week he takes a back seat to the fawning over Zimmer, and since Zimmer cannot not accommodate CBS at 9 they ask Coach Kill if he could be ready an hour earlier with little notice. And this in the late stages of the recruiting season. The producer and possibly Dave Mona should know better. And who gave DL the call to be ready at 9? But DL is always ready.

Oh No - instead of being on at his scheduled 10:05am time slot, Jerry Kill graciously agreed to come on at 9:50am to help out 'CCO with its scheduling. He was on a whopping 15 minutes earlier than expected. It's the end of the world. i'll bet this costs the U 2 or 3 of those 5-star recruits Kill was meeting with.

The stuff people get worked about on this board never cease to amaze me.

PS - the reason Zimmer had to be on at 10:05 was that he had to catch a plane to go to the Senior Bowl. They didn't bump Kill out of his spot for no reason.

Oh No - instead of being on at his scheduled 10:05am time slot, Jerry Kill graciously agreed to come on at 9:50am to help out 'CCO with its scheduling. He was on a whopping 15 minutes earlier than expected. It's the end of the world. i'll bet this costs the U 2 or 3 of those 5-star recruits Kill was meeting with.

The stuff people get worked about on this board never cease to amaze me.

PS - the reason Zimmer had to be on at 10:05 was that he had to catch a plane to go to the Senior Bowl. They didn't bump Kill out of his spot for no reason.

Ya think? Out of the large number of members registered on GH, a large number of that large number are obviously not Proctologists.

Since it's likely that not one recruit listens to WCCO, I wouldn't worry about it.

Top Bottom