GopherHole.com Q&A: Cosgrove discusses Rose Bowls, Nebraska and the Gophers

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Recently Nadine Babu had the chance to sit down and chat with new Gophers defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove. Follow the link to see what Cosgrove had to say about his success at Wisconsin, disappointment at Nebraska, his decision to come to Minnesota and his goals as the leader of the Gopher defense.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=941

Kudos Nadine, you really threw everything you had at him! I have to say Coz wasn't my first, second, or even third choice for the DC job, but I thought he handled the interview as well as he could have.

I give Nadine a solid A on the interview and Coz a B+

Gopher Lady asks the tough questions. You're like a pro journalist or something. Gee.

Thanks!

It's interviews like this that make me love the GH as much as I do! Thank you GL for asking the tough questions and making this guy sweat a little. I'm just glad I don't have to pay to read this kind of solid information!

Love the interview because he acknowledged he had deficiencies in his coaching and studied up and trying to improve himself. That alone will make him better off. He didn't just sit there and say, "My stuff works, I don't care what people say".

Another great in-depth report!

GLs -in-depth reports and insightful comments are two of the many solid reasons that GopherHole is a first stop for me each morning!

Good job, GopherLady!

Go Gophers!!

Nice interview -- thanks. Regardless of whether or not we're happy with his hire, regardless of whether or not he's considered successful in his previous stops, it boils down to this: Help turn the Gophers into a winner, and you'll be a hero. No one will give a hoot about your past.

Get 'em, Cos!

GL, you are a journalistic bulldog

I wonder what 60 Minutes would be like if their interviewers were able to have 3 or 4 bumps before they interviewed various heads of state, CEO's, actors, or billionaires?

Seriously though, good job and I give kudos to Cosgrove also for his honesty. He could have totally blown off this interview as it is not a part of the mainstream media but he seemed forthright in his answers and did not get defensive.

GL, amazing that you could write this entire article from wrote memory. ;)

jrw_bulldogs.jpg

Thanks for the article, but I think Kevin Cosgrove was being cagey. Had 2 other offers? he was coaching Edgewood HS QBs fer cryin out loud.
denying the defensive ranking at the end of the year? How about the quitting attitude.....we all knew we were being fired.

No Sir, I don't like it. I'll be happy to eat my words at the end of the 09 Golden Gopher Footall season.

Yawn

Of course I want to see him succeed, because he's a coach for the Golden Gophers. If he's doing well, that means the team is doing well.

That being said, he's an insufferable prick. Just reading the words, without any context as to facial expressions, gestures, etc., made me want to drive down to Bierman and punch him in the face.

Just answer the damn questions!! Nadine kept asking him about the end of his Nebraska tenure, and all he could talk about was "we led the nation in sacks in '05." It's human nature to want to accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative. But part of being a leader is accepting responsibility for your failures, as well as praise for your accomplishments. Notice how he said he only left Nebraska because "Bill got fired"? In other words, "I didn't do anything wrong...my boss was the problem."

For the sake of our program and our fanhood, I hope that I'm wrong...but I don't see his tenure here ending well.

Of course I want to see him succeed, because he's a coach for the Golden Gophers. If he's doing well, that means the team is doing well.

That being said, he's an insufferable prick. Just reading the words, without any context as to facial expressions, gestures, etc., made me want to drive down to Bierman and punch him in the face.

Just answer the damn questions!! Nadine kept asking him about the end of his Nebraska tenure, and all he could talk about was "we led the nation in sacks in '05." It's human nature to want to accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative. But part of being a leader is accepting responsibility for your failures, as well as praise for your accomplishments. Notice how he said he only left Nebraska because "Bill got fired"? In other words, "I didn't do anything wrong...my boss was the problem."

For the sake of our program and our fanhood, I hope that I'm wrong...but I don't see his tenure here ending well.

What is he supposed to say about that year? He said, it sucked. Okay, what else do you wanna know? Everybody and their grandma knows that team quit cause their coaches were as good as gone. Hard to get production in that situation. That's not to say he wasn't responsible, he was in a big way, but what do you want him to say about it? It's not like he's gonna break down each game and tell you how much the D sucked in it.

As far as "Bill got fired", uh, hello, he did only leave Nebraska cause Bill got fired, all the assistants got fired as soon as Bill got fired. The question was asked about leaving this job for a different one, he was simply showing that he's not a guy to jump ship after a year and run off and do something else, that's it.

I for one didn't like the hire, but this interview did nothing but shed positive light on him IMO. I think you are fighting for negativity in it, which isn't hard to find in almost ANYTHING in life if you're looking for it.

Right now, I want to just wait to see what he does before I criticize him.

What is he supposed to say about that year?

Actually, anything at all. If you go back and read the interview, he conveniently ignores the questions about it and instead talks about his previous successes. Are we supposed to pretend he stopped coaching after 2005? I'd rather judge a guy on his entire body of work. Based on that, he may turn out ok...but recent evidence suggests he'll most likely suck.

As far as "Bill got fired", uh, hello, he did only leave Nebraska cause Bill got fired, all the assistants got fired as soon as Bill got fired.

I believe you answered your own question. My problem is the lack of accepting responsibility. He got fired. Period. Bill Callahan did get fired, but the two are mutually exclusive.

I think you are fighting for negativity in it, which isn't hard to find in almost ANYTHING in life if you're looking for it.

Agreed. I'm trying real hard to find anything positive in this situation, but coming up empty. I don't pretend to have backroom knowledge of what goes on inside Bierman, but based on this outsider's perspective:

1. He completely, thoroughly and utterly failed at his last job.
2. Despite what he says, he was not in demand. His "2 competing job offers" were probably at Edgewood and Cardinal Stritch.
3. There were undoubtedly far better candidates both outside and inside the Gopher program.

This is nothing more than a crony hire - Brewster throwing his old buddy a bone. I am a big fan of Brewster, but I thought he was better than that. It's kind of like getting your old down-on-his-luck college buddy a job mopping floors at your office building to keep food on the table until he can get back on his feet. Except that this is a $200 k+ position that is being paid for by public dollars.

I've heard that the guy can recruit. In that case, bring him in as a special assistant of some sort, and don't let him anywhere near game planning or on-the-field decisions. A blind man can see how well he's performed in that area lately.

Actually, anything at all. If you go back and read the interview, he conveniently ignores the questions about it and instead talks about his previous successes. Are we supposed to pretend he stopped coaching after 2005? I'd rather judge a guy on his entire body of work. Based on that, he may turn out ok...but recent evidence suggests he'll most likely suck.

I believe you answered your own question. My problem is the lack of accepting responsibility. He got fired. Period. Bill Callahan did get fired, but the two are mutually exclusive.

Agreed. I'm trying real hard to find anything positive in this situation, but coming up empty. I don't pretend to have backroom knowledge of what goes on inside Bierman, but based on this outsider's perspective:

2. Despite what he says, he was not in demand. His "2 competing job offers" were probably at Edgewood and Cardinal Stritch.
3. There were undoubtedly far better candidates both outside and inside the Gopher program.

This is nothing more than a crony hire - Brewster throwing his old buddy a bone. I am a big fan of Brewster, but I thought he was better than that. It's kind of like getting your old down-on-his-luck college buddy a job mopping floors at your office building to keep food on the table until he can get back on his feet. Except that this is a $200 k+ position that is being paid for by public dollars.

I've heard that the guy can recruit. In that case, bring him in as a special assistant of some sort, and don't let him anywhere near game planning or on-the-field decisions. A blind man can see how well he's performed in that area lately.

Wow. So, one season defines your entire career (keeping in mind that every one of Cosgrove's defenses except his last was better than our defense last year -- ours was 81).

Is it your contention ("position that is being paid for by public dollars") that the football program (exclusive of all non-revenue sports) runs a deficit? I'm not so sure about that.

Thanks for the article, but I think Kevin Cosgrove was being cagey. Had 2 other offers? he was coaching Edgewood HS QBs fer cryin out loud.
denying the defensive ranking at the end of the year? How about the quitting attitude.....we all knew we were being fired.

No Sir, I don't like it. I'll be happy to eat my words at the end of the 09 Golden Gopher Footall season.

I think the Edgewood arguement is a straw man and here's why. Everyone making it seems to assume that he WANTED to jump back into coaching at a BCS level school right away. I don't see why this is the case. He had death threats coming his way at the end of '07. Seems to me taking a break from that to get to coach your son during his senior year of HS sounds like a likely possibility. We didn’t hire a HS coach here!

I also would argue that he wasn’t describing a quitting attitude. It seemed to me he was being pretty matter of fact. The writing WAS on the wall. I don’t care for what seemed like a dodge but at the same time I suspect that was the least fun he ever had coaching. Something tells me that you or I wouldn’t want to talk too much about a time like that either (remember, death threats!).

Also, it seems like you think he was lying about the “2 offers” response. Is that the case?

Cosgrove is not the hire I wanted to see. But I think there are better arguments to be made than “he was coaching Edgewood HS QBs fer cryin out loud”.

Wow. So, one season defines your entire career (keeping in mind that every one of Cosgrove's defenses except his last was better than our defense last year -- ours was 81).

Nope. Never said that. He has proven to be a good D-coordinator in the past. Foge Fazio was at one time too. Should we hire him? If you will go back and read, what I said was that his recent efforts leave something to be desired.

Also, it seems like you think he was lying about the “2 offers” response. Is that the case?

Not only do I think it, I guarantee it.

I think he addressed this nicely by pointing out that he used the past year to improve his skills/schemes so that he’d be a better DC. Will it pan out? We’ll see. But your “recent” evidence is based on a single season. As HG notes, his other “bad” defenses were still superior to ours. I’m not suggesting that makes everything ok or that we should settle, but even if he managed to only be as good as he was he’d still be improving our overall ranking.

I’d point out that he wasn’t responding to a question that asked for him to “take responsibility” for why he isn’t at Nebraska anymore. He was responding to whether he’ll leave us in a lurch. His point was that his history shows he is loyal to his programs and that his shortest tenure came to an end b/c the HC was fired.

Also, I think you meant “are not mutually exclusive” otherwise your point makes no sense. Assuming that is what you meant (apologize if I’m wrong on that), then I think you are just looking for something to bash. If you read any stories about Callahan’s time at Nebraska you’ll see that his actions and attitude were the main source of problems. He trashed and ignored all of Tom Osborne’s traditions and that pissed people off. Yes, losing (of which poor defensive play is a big part) also played a role. But at the end of the day I think it would be more fair to say that Bill C is the reason that Bill C’s assistants were looking for work.

I think you’re just throwing arguments at a wall to see what will stick now.
1) His D wasn’t last in the nation all 4 years. I’m not going to argue he was fielding great teams but I think your wording is a tad over the top.
2) For all we know his offers were from Tennesee (before Kiffin realized he had money to pay his dad) and Washington. Ridiculous? Of course! So were your suggestions. Why? Because NONE OF US KNOW! So lets argue by making stuff up…sounds good.
3) Who are your better hires? Feel free to name some. Especially from within the program. Honestly, I can’t think of anyone from within I’d want to have this position b/c I don’t think our coaches proved themselves yet.

As for the crony hire bit…if knowing the HC is a crony hire then this is an epidemic around college and pro football. Odd how you might hire someone you know who you think you can trust.

I don’t begrudge anyone who doesn’t like this hire. Honestly I’m pretty “meh” about it myself. There are good arguments to be made why this might not be a great hire. I just don’t think you’re making them. You’re doing a fine job venting though!

Not only do I think it, I guarantee it.

Care to offer something other than hot air to back that up? Don't worry, i won't be hurt if all I hear is crickets or you bloviating about something unrelated.

Cosgrove's Record At Nebraska

Here's the points that Nebraska gave up in the four years Cosgrove was at Nebraska:

2004 - 27.1 per game
2005 - 21.0
2006 - 18.3
2007 - 32.9

2008 - under Bo Pellini's regime - 28.5. About a Field Goal's difference from 2007 and a touchdown difference from 2005 and 2006.

What style, what opponent, etc. should be fair game. Maybe the rush of spread offenses and good Quarterbacks into the Big 12 are having an affect. To run under the "we only care about 2007" seems a rather perjorative way to go.

As HG notes, his other “bad” defenses were still superior to ours.

Ours is a program that has historically had poor defenses. So poor, in fact, that ranking #81 was a godsend. Cosgrove coached at a school known for its strong defenses, stocked with talent from several top-20 recruiting classes, and still managed to turn out the worst defense in school history. Prior to 2007, Nebraska had allowed 50+ 3 times in school history. Cosgrove managed to do that twice in one season (while also allowing 49 to USC). Nebraska won the Gator Bowl the year after he left. Wisconsin's D went from 43rd to 9th the year after he left.

Also, I think you meant “are not mutually exclusive” otherwise your point makes no sense.

Nope, meant what I said, and it indeed makes perfect sense. He's trying to make it sound like Callahan was fired, and he was faultless in the whole situation. He was fired right alongside him. If he were all that and a bag of potato chips, he would have been retained. Assistants are not always fired along with their bosses. For evidence, note how both Tom Cable and Raheem Morris were promoted to the head job after their own HCs were fired.

1) His D wasn’t last in the nation all 4 years. I’m not going to argue he was fielding great teams but I think your wording is a tad over the top.

Dude. Worst defense in school history. Death threats. What would he have had to do to make it a more complete failure? Throw his players down on the sidelines and rub dirt in their faces?

2) For all we know his offers were from Tennesee (before Kiffin realized he had money to pay his dad) and Washington. Ridiculous? Of course! So were your suggestions. Why? Because NONE OF US KNOW! So lets argue by making stuff up…sounds good.

He's trying to make it seem as though he had 2 hot offers in his hands, and that the U was lucky he passed them up in order to grace us with his presence. If you want to get technical, he may have had some job offers, possibly even as a position coach within BCS conferences. But if he's trying to claim that he had NFL/college offers on par with/better than co-D coordinator at the University of Minnesota, then yes, I am unequivocally and categorically calling him a flat-out liar.

3) Who are your better hires? Feel free to name some.

I honestly could give myself carpal tunnel doing this, but here's just a few to whet your appetite:

From within:

Ronnie Lee (as sole DCoord)
Tim Cross

From without (some realistic, some not at all, but all available and listening to offers):

Dan McCarney
Jackie Shipp
Romeo Crennel
Ken Norton, Jr.
Larry Johnson
Bo Davis

As for the crony hire bit…if knowing the HC is a crony hire then this is an epidemic around college and pro football. Odd how you might hire someone you know who you think you can trust.

Do you even know what the word crony means? (Thank you, Wikipedia): Cronyism is partiality to long-standing friends, especially by appointing them to positions of authority, regardless of their qualifications. Hence, cronyism is contrary in practice and principle to meritocracy.

Also, can you please explain how my points are just "venting" or "bloviating"?

A complete lack of substantiation

qualifies as "venting" or "bloviating". Let's see something to back up your assertions.

A complete lack of substantiation qualifies as "venting" or "bloviating". Let's see something to back up your assertions.

Jesus man, what more substantiation do you want? The fact that he captained an historically awful defense in his last try at this position? The fact that he was run out of town on the heels of death threats? The fact that he had a firexyz.com site without ever even being a head coach? The fact that he was a volunteer HS coach last year? The fact that there were unquestionably several coaches better suited for this position than he? The fact that he has shown in several interviews, news pieces, video excerpts, etc., that he is incapable of realizing his own shortcomings and owning up to them? The fact that Brewster was in competition with himself to get this prodigy's services? The fact that he was available last year and Brewster passed? The fact that he took defenses loaded with future NFL players and displayed nothing but mediocrity-to-putrescence?

Shall I keep going?

Jesus man, what more substantiation do you want? The fact that he captained an historically awful defense in his last try at this position? The fact that he was run out of town on the heels of death threats? The fact that he had a firexyz.com site without ever even being a head coach? The fact that he was a volunteer HS coach last year? The fact that there were unquestionably several coaches better suited for this position than he? The fact that he has shown in several interviews, news pieces, video excerpts, etc., that he is incapable of realizing his own shortcomings and owning up to them? The fact that Brewster was in competition with himself to get this prodigy's services? The fact that he was available last year and Brewster passed? The fact that he took defenses loaded with future NFL players and displayed nothing but mediocrity-to-putrescence?

Shall I keep going?

Nothing you have said has any bearing on how he will do next year. You make a lot of assertions regarding things you have no first hand knowledge of. They don't qualify as facts. As it is, your entire argument hinges on the results of a single season.

Now where is your evidence that the football program, all by itself, loses money every year?

in my opinion dpodoll,you make zero sense and do absolutely nothing to back up your statements. And good god cosgrove is our DC so maybe you should accept that fact and not act like it's the end of the world. I bet a year from now nobody will have a problem with the cosgrove/lee combination at DC.

Nothing you have said has any bearing on how he will do next year. You make a lot of assertions regarding things you have no first hand knowledge of. They don't qualify as facts. As it is, your entire argument hinges on the results of a single season.

Please note my earlier quotes from this thread:

It is my right and my privilege as a fan to think that this was a shitty hire, and I will continue to think so until proven otherwise. If this does indeed bear out on the field, then 9-10 months from now, by all means, post this thread from the archives and call me a loser and douchebag and whatever other names you want. Until then, I will continue to believe that this was nothing more than gross negligence on Brewster's part.

Now where is your evidence that the football program, all by itself, loses money every year?

I honestly don't even know what the hell you're talking about. Where did I make even one reference to the football program's budget? And what does that have to do with the price of rice in China?

in my opinion dpodoll,you make zero sense and do absolutely nothing to back up your statements. And good god cosgrove is our DC so maybe you should accept that fact and not act like it's the end of the world. I bet a year from now nobody will have a problem with the cosgrove/lee combination at DC.

Well, I think you make zero sense in that you do nothing to refute anything I've said and base your opinion on your own conjecture. AS PREVIOUSLY STATED, I hope I'm wrong about him. I really do. But in my opinion, GopherNation, I bet people will have a problem with Cosgrove a year from now.

I honestly don't even know what the hell you're talking about. Where did I make even one reference to the football program's budget? And what does that have to do with the price of rice in China?

You made the claim that Cosgrove salary was from public money. I suppose if you define public money as money paid in for admission to events, that is probably true. But, in that case, I have no idea what your point was.

You don't like the hire. Fine. Making assertions implying that this is a screw up of historical proportions are, at this point in time, rather ridiculous.

You made the claim that Cosgrove salary was from public money. I suppose if you define public money as money paid in for admission to events, that is probably true. But, in that case, I have no idea what your point was.

I made an earlier analogy that Brewster hiring Cosgrove was like Average Joe throwing his buddy a bone by getting him a random job until he can get back on his feet again. My point in bringing up that it is public money is that hires such as this are held to a higher standard than out in the private sector, and that Brewster shouldn't be so brash as to resort to cronyism when the stakes are this high.

You don't like the hire. Fine. Making assertions implying that this is a screw up of historical proportions are, at this point in time, rather ridiculous.

Stop putting words in my mouth. I believe I used the terms "failure," "crony", and "shitty." Not once did I even remotely imply anything resembling "screw up of historical proportions." I would reserve that for things like: the Vikings hiring Les Steckel; the Twins signing My Clam, Adam Everett, and Livan Hernandez; and the T-wolves not firing McHale 5 years ago.

I still don't get the public money angle. It's not like tax dollars are paying coaches salaries.

Even if Cosgrove turns out to be a marginal hire, I would be absolutely shocked if the defense was not better than last year's model. IMO, while we had a good goal line defense and forced a lot of turnovers, the rest of the time the defense was a bit of a mess.

Top Bottom