GopherHole.com Interview: Jimmy Gjere, the "Minnesota Boy" makes it official

Follow the link to Nadine Babu's interview with Irondale offensive lineman Jimmy Gjere, the first in-state player to commit in the Gophers 2010 class.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=964

Great interview!

He really says all the right things. I assume his academics are in good order (?)... Zagzebski and now Gjere...great start on with two guys who have impressive resumes. And I've said this for a long time, guys like Gjere and Alipate who bleed maroon and gold are the ones who are going to lead this team to new heights as team leaders. Perfect.

I'd love to see Edwards commit next; as it could start a lot of momentum in spring recruiting battles (keep your fingers crossed).

P.S. If you're wondering why I used the term "two" instead of "three". The DB speedster from IL I don't know much about, but he's talking about still shopping around and to me that doesn't really seem like a commitment.

The kind of people the Gjere's are...

I think most of you know that I like getting good players, but LOVE getting good players that are good kids...Jimmy is one of them. When there was speculation about Jimmy committing earlier today, we weren't able to confirm it right away. Mrs. Gjere actually called me this morning, but asked that GH didn't post anything, until Jimmy had the opportunity to let the coaches know from other schools that were recruiting him. They are just such good people, and wanted to show respect to Coach Bostad, and Wisconsin, as they had put some time and effort into him. That is pure class.

When I spoke with her, she was just so excited. She just spoke so highly of the coaches and the program, and could not have been happier that Jimmy was going to stay home. I did tell her, the reaction from Gopher Nation was positive, and she just couldn't believe it. She just sees him as "Jimmy" and not a big deal at all. He is a big deal to our program, and I think we're getting a fine young man. To get someone of his caliber (on and off the field) this early in the game, speaks volumes for the Gopher program and where it's going!

Great interview!

He really says all the right things. I assume his academics are in good order (?)... Zagzebski and now Gjere...great start on with two guys who have impressive resumes. And I've said this for a long time, guys like Gjere and Alipate who bleed maroon and gold are the ones who are going to lead this team to new heights as team leaders. Perfect.

I'd love to see Edwards commit next; as it could start a lot of momentum in spring recruiting battles (keep your fingers crossed).

P.S. If you're wondering why I used the term "two" instead of "three". The DB speedster from IL I don't know much about, but he's talking about still shopping around and to me that doesn't really seem like a commitment.

I think you're on to something. :)

Why do i love every kid we get. Is it the great interviews or are these just great kids? Or both?

It is a simple fact about folks from MN.......where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average."

Huge commit for the Gophers, especially this early. No doubt he will not be as highly ranked nationally as he should, because of his early commit to lowly Minnesota. As others have said, it shouldn't matter as long as the player is good, but people like to hold Brewster to a higher standard in his recruiting, so paradoxically, it will almost certainly affect the recruiting rankings negatively by getting him in his jr. year.
I've noticed a lot of places list him as a G, though I think it would be strange to play a guy who will probably be at least 6'8" by then in the interior. I'd like to see him redshirt and back up Wills next year, and then have he and Henderson as our bookends for the following 3 years. Is he quick enough to play LT if Seantrel goes elsewhere?
I also find it interesting that the mainstream news sources were reporting the Ohio State offer as if it were gospel. Is this a case of the big boys following the lead of the recruiting blogs without checking the info themselves? Perish the thought.

Whether or not he gets rated as high as he should be doesn't really matter. This kid is an athlete, and a mountain of an athlete as well!! He plays baseball & hockey as well? You normally don't see that as much these days. Parents and players usually prefer to "specialize". I am stoked about his commitment, as every gopher fan should be. Him and Seantrell on the same O-line would be awesome. I still think Tubby should help recruit Seantrell to play basketball as well as football, but I know someone had posted that he was concentrating on football. I can dream though.:cool:

Dear Gopher Lady

The heck with the Sports Huddle, and Saturday Sports talk, you are the source authority in the Twin Towns. And as I surmised earlier Mrs. Gjere was a factor in this decision, and everyone will have a better impression of Mr. Gjere on the sidelines, when he says,"HI Mom!"

GopherLady is the creme-de-la-creme of the reporting scene.

Gopher Lady, fantastic as usual! It's great to hear from the players themselves but I really enjoy hearing the families aspect of it. Nice to know when the parents are happy and know that Gopher Nation is behind their son.

Keep up the great work!!

Top Bottom