GopherHole.com: As the Gophers Look Forward to the Tournament, One Senior Looks Back

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
GopherHole.com is excited to announce the addition of Nick Walsh to the staff. Over the coming weeks and months, Nick will write various profiles, recruiting articles and is a great addition to the staff. If his first piece on Jamal Abu-Shamala is any indication, GopherHole readers are in for a treat:

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=971

Prior to the season, GopherHole.com profiled Jamal's experience playing for the Jordan National Team:

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=858

A great interview. JAS is truly a class act. Thanks Nick, and welcome to GopherHole. Good Luck.

I love Jamal and everything he has done for the U. He is a great story and I am so happy that Nick wrote this piece. It is long over due and good for GopherHole for covering him again. Great story.

Great read! JAS is a class kid. I also want to give props to GH. Nobody covers Gopher Hoops like you guys do...not even close. Keep up the good work!

I've said it once (or a million times) and I'll say it again - I just love JAS! I think Natedawg and I spent more time defending Jamal over the past few years, than any other player (well for me, Adam Boone was a close 2nd). He has such an incredible story - he's overcome so much, he's a true leader, an overnall nice person, and someone I could not have dreamed would represent our school with any more dignity and class.

Nick - Welcome to GH, I look forward to reading many more fantastic pieces, such as this one!

What a great article and a great kid. Thanks Nick and thanks Abu Shamala for all that you have done at The U.

what i like about jas is that he's never given up. the u didn't feel he was worthy of a scholarship, so he walked on. he earned it. he earned a starting spot his freshman year. he had a rough shooting year last year, but once again, he never gave up - he played on the jordan national team and worked on his fundamentals, came back, was a captain, and contributed a great deal. he went through coaching changes, and kept on. he's not a quitter, he's a winner. i have a feeling he'll be a success at anything he decides to do in his life.

Future of JAS Types

Probably wont happen, as "better recruits" will fill the roster.

Probably wont happen, as "better recruits" will fill the roster.

TruthTeller, Dominique Dawson is walking on next year just as Shamala did four years ago. Do you think he's a better recruit than Shamala? I don't get why you would think that. Shamala had an offer to play for West Virginia.

TruthTeller, Dominique Dawson is walking on next year just as Shamala did four years ago. Do you think he's a better recruit than Shamala? I don't get why you would think that. Shamala had an offer to play for West Virginia.

How many Travis B / JAS guys will be on the roster in the coming years? Less than in the past. That simple.

BTW - dont know anyting about he walk on you mentioned.

TT...Try reading various articles instead of shooting off your mouth and acting foolish.

Um...what?! :eek:

Where did you get that info?

It was well known at the time that West Virginia went after Shamala hard to be a walk on with the intent of him working his way into a scholarship.

It was well known at the time that West Virginia went after Shamala hard to be a walk on with the intent of him working his way into a scholarship.
Well, he didn't have a scholarship offer then. He was invited to walk-on with the hopes of earning a scholarship. That is pretty different.

Well, he didn't have a scholarship offer then. He was invited to walk-on with the hopes of earning a scholarship. That is pretty different.

Who said anything about a scholarship? This entire thread is about walk-ons. Dawson, Shamala, Busch, etc.

news flash

How many Travis B / JAS guys will be on the roster in the coming years? Less than in the past. That simple.

that's a good thing. in the future, if guys like travis and jas are the worst guys on our team - that means the program is moving in the right direction. i say that, not as knock to them, they have exceeded expectations 20 fold. if contributors like them are the worst guys, that means we are loaded with talent.

Nice article. JAS is a class guy. Best wishes as moves on to the next stage of his life.

Top Bottom