Gopher Students Lead the Big Ten in Deer Hunting Permits

forestlaker

Reaction score
Gopher students by the thousands went to the woods by turning in their Maroon and Gold colors for Blaze Orange. We have in years past heard many reasons why the U of M students can't show up for a game. They include:

1) We hate the Dome.
2) It is too hard to get up in the morning after a night of partying.
3) The buses take to long to get back to campus.
4) I've got to study for a test. (oops I haven't heard that one.)
5) The Dome is too far away if only we were on campus it would be different.

But now we must have some new reasons:

6. The lines are too long.
7. It's too cold outside.

And our new favorites:

8. It's too far from my tree stand to TCF.
9. There are no buses going by my tree stand.
10. It takes too long to change from Blaze Orange to Maroon and Gold and if I came in Blaze Orange they would think I was an Illinois fan.

The facts seem to say we have about 6-7,000 solid student fans. It is time to over sell that section to any student who wants a ticket or shrink the section or sell game day tickets to help fill it up. Whatever is decided, it is an embarrassment to have that section so empty in the Inaugrial season of TCF stadium.

They were all over this on the KFAN post-game show with the Fargo Flash and Henry Lake.

The facts seem to say we have about 6-7,000 solid student fans. It is time to over sell that section to any student who wants a ticket or shrink the section or sell game day tickets to help fill it up. Whatever is decided, it is an embarrassment to have that section so empty in the Inaugrial season of TCF stadium.

The only way the student section will ever be completely full is if we WIN. Not just a game against Wisconsin/Iowa, but 9-10 games in a season. Most students will only come out if we win, no matter how much you complain about "excuses"

I don't wander over here very often but I've been puzzled about the lack of student turnout. I'm a B-ball season ticket holder but I usually make it to a couple of FB games a year. I went to the Air Force game and, though they announced a sellout, the stadium wasn't full. It was a warm late summer night, the first game in a beautiful new stadium and the upper corners of the student section were not full. There were at least 250-300 open seats. A lot considering the historic occasion. I went to the game today, an absolutely perfect autumn afternoon, another announced sellout, and it looked like there were at least 2500 empty seats in the student section. Yes, it is a mediocre (at best) team but this is the first year in a great college football facility and there were plenty of seats available. Three years from now, if the team isn't in the top ten (maybe top five), there will be thousands of seats available, and not just in the student section. A shame considering that the state spent $150 or so million that it didn't have to spend, considering the U had no leverage.

Will there be reminiscing about the great days in the dome in a few years?

jamiche;125375Will there be reminiscing about the great days in the dome in a few years?[/QUOTE said:
Doubtful. The only positive thing that my group had to say about today's game was, "at least it wasn't in the dome. That would have REALLY been a drag."

I doubt even if we win that the students will all show up. But it appears we will never know. Honestly, we lost AFTER the students didn't show up, not before. We were playing for a possible January bowl in San Antonio or a Florida bowl. I'm sick and tired of the 'win first' excuse.

I forgot this reason:

11. We're really there but we're sitting real close together.

What a pathetic turnout for students. The U needs to figure this out.

Top Bottom