Gopher Sports: Introducing Caroline Strande

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

My kind of quote:

GS: How would you describe your game?
CS:
"I can do everything. I rebound, drive to the hoop, pull up, shoot 3-pointers, get steals; just an all-around player."

Up next, it's Caroline Strande, a 5'11 guard from Racine, Wis. A three-star recruit according to ESPN, Strande was touted as the No. 29 guard in the country. She finished her high school career as the fifth-leading scorer in state history and holds school career records for points (with over 2,500), field goals made, free throws made, steals and assists. Strande was the
Journal Sentinel's Player of the Year, AP First Team All-State, WBCA Division 4 All-State and McDonald's High School All-American Game nominee as a senior after averaging 35.3 points (second in the state), 10.2 rebounds, 5.4 assists, 5.4 steals and 1.6 blocks per contest.

GophersSports.com: What was your recruiting process like?
Caroline Strande:
"It was fun but stressful. I knew I made the right decision choosing Minnesota."

GS: What made you decide on Minnesota?
CS:
"I love the coaching staff. It's a great university academically. It's just a great fit all-around."

GS: Did you know about Coach Whalen as a WNBA player?
CS:
"Yeah, I knew about her; being a WNBA all-star and how great she was. I knew I could learn a lot from her."

GS: You hold many school records. Is there one that you're most proud of?
CS:
"I wouldn't say one individually, but the amount of them. There isn't just one thing I could pick out -- points, assists, rebounds -- they're all huge contributors to why we won."

GS: How would you describe your game?
CS:
"I can do everything. I rebound, drive to the hoop, pull up, shoot 3-pointers, get steals; just an all-around player."

GS: What did you do to keep your game up during the offseason?
CS:
"I went to outdoor courts a lot and worked on ball-handling and shooting. I kept up my strength and conditioning so I went on runs and lifted in my basement from time to time."

GS: What have been your initial impressions of spending time with your new teammates?
CS:
"They're super nice and great people. It's fun to be around them."

GS: Have you noticed a step up in the level of competition from high school?
CS:
"Yeah, everyone is way more serious in college than high school. The speed is different and the players are a lot bigger, stronger and faster."

GS: Have there been any new teammates that have taken you under their wing so far?
CS:
"My iron sister, Justice Ross. I can just talk to her; she's easy to talk to. And if I have any questions, she's already had her freshman year so she guide me."

GS: Is there any significance to your jersey number?
CS:
"I've worn No. 21 my whole life. My birthday is on March 21; that's where I got it from."

Off the Court with Caroline
Favorite Food:
Chicken tenders or burgers
Favorite TV Show: The Bachelorette
Instagram/Twitter/Snapchat/TikTok: Instagram
Favorite NBA/WNBA Player: Michael Jordan and Arike Ogunbowale
Favorite Basketball moment: Beating a rival high school in the state playoffs after losing to them the prior year and just getting over that hump

Top Bottom