Gopher Softball 2024

So, to understand this: The team loses their #1 and #2 pitchers, still is able to manage a 5th place finish in the B10.

Tell me which teams in the B10 could handle losing their top two pitchers and still compete at a high level.

Obviously, there are things that need work...all teams have that. But to say it's on Piper...that's misguided.
Losing them didn't cause bad hitting, defense. And the team was not good when they were healthy. That's an excuse.
If they lose good players in the portal due to poor showings the last few years, is that going to be an excuse too? And our NIL for softball is not terrible, better than 5th in a bad conference.

Last edited:

What record or place in conference next year are you going to say is fine?

Losing them didn't cause bad hitting, defense. And the team was not good when they were healthy. That's an excuse.
If they lose good players in the portal due to poor showings the last few years, is that going to be an excuse too? And our NIL for softball is not terrible, better than 5th in a bad conference.
Team was tied for the conference lead in batting average, led the B10 in fielding. Are there times when hitting went cold, sure. Losing players to the portal isn't something they can control. If someone wants out, they will leave. And just an FYI....our softball NIL is terrible. Comparatively to other softball programs...actually bad. With the addition of Washington, Oregon, and UCLA the goal should be to compete for 4th place or better.

Piper as the head coach and pitching coach is simply not working. I have also seen enough of the 3rd base coach. The amount of terrible decisions she makes is horrendous. The kids look absolutely lost out there. I understand there's injuries, but the fact that a team cannot adjust to pitching is baffling. How do you only get three hits off that Nebraska pitcher when she literally threw probably 300 pitches the weekend before. Expect Oakland and others to be long gone.
She could be starting SS for basically anyone in country, would be a very wise decision to go somewhere like Stanford or UCLA or Oklahoma

Team was tied for the conference lead in batting average, led the B10 in fielding. Are there times when hitting went cold, sure. Losing players to the portal isn't something they can control. If someone wants out, they will leave. And just an FYI....our softball NIL is terrible. Comparatively to other softball programs...actually bad. With the addition of Washington, Oregon, and UCLA the goal should be to compete for 4th place or better.
Our softball team is 2nd only to the football team in NIL at Minnesota. Beating hockey and basketball. That's true at very few schools. So not true. I'd love to see the batting avg with runners in scoring position and lob. Losing players due to not being a good team is within the control of the coaches.

Our softball team is 2nd only to the football team in NIL at Minnesota. Beating hockey and basketball. That's true at very few schools. So not true. I'd love to see the batting avg with runners in scoring position and lob. Losing players due to not being a good team is within the control of the coaches.
What if our best chance to get a named coach is for Coach Trachsel to come back?

This conversation is straight-up crazy! Big named coaches are not going to come to the frozen tundra of Minnesota. I’m with native Minnesotan Piper Ritter. She wants to be here. She is a good coach. Let’s keep her and be thankful for what we have.

Last edited:

I for one have been watching player interactions on the field. Krapf looks like she checked out weeks ago. Obvious state of frustration with the level of play this week. I project 4 transfers. Krapf, Snippes,Enter, and Oakland. Talented players hate playing below their level… it’s just not fun. They also want to be around talent , and be challenged during practice. Snippes being pulled after I believe 2 pitches was truly a defining moment. Yes, she hit batters, but also don’t forget she is a freshman. Ritter fails the young pitcher in so many ways. You gotta believe in them. Trust them, encourage them. She rarely walks to the mound. Think about the recent years of young pitchers…. They leave. They are good enough, have the skill set to be recruited, but don’t get developed in todays game emotionally. And the crowhopping pitcher should not have been on the mound at any college level. Coaches didn’t call it out, because they were busy at batting practice. I’m just being honest. If you were looking at MN as a high school pitcher, what would they be thinking on that form? We have issues that stem from lack of coaching abilities. .

Everyone has known for several years that Fiser and Pease will/would be gone and when. MN coaching has failed to upgrade MN pitching. Everyone knows that winning big at this game comes only with elite pitching. Except for Pease, MN's pitching has been in an absolute shambles the past 3 years. You can have outstanding coaches at third base or brilliant teachers of outfield throwing, but it is worth little or nothing unless the coaches bring in outstanding DI pitchers. The best way to keep Oakland, Chavez, and Krapf might be to bring in a couple of master pitchers in the circle.

…And the crowhopping pitcher should not have been on the mound at any college level. Coaches didn’t call it out, because they were busy at batting practice. I’m just being honest. …
?

I don’t get this. What does this mean?

The pitcher replants her back foot after pushing off the rubber.
You obviously don’t know the rule. She doesn’t replant and push she lands. The ball is out. Also the leaving the rubber and getting airborne was a rule change this year. To think if it were that obvious the umpires would have called it.

Also Enter is done. No portal as a 5th year senior.

You obviously don’t know the rule. She doesn’t replant and push she lands. The ball is out. Also the leaving the rubber and getting airborne was a rule change this year. To think if it were that obvious the umpires would have called it.

Also Enter is done. No portal as a 5th year senior.
This is the article that I found describing a crowhop. https://www.fastpitchpower.com/what-causes-crow-hopping/
Yes, leaping off the rubber during delivery is legal. Maybe the original poster thought leaping and crowhopping were the same.

What if our best chance to get a named coach is for Coach Trachsel to come back?

This conversation is straight-up crazy! Big named coaches are not going to come to the frozen tundra of Minnesota. I’m with native Minnesotan Piper Ritter. She wants to be here. She is a good coach. Let’s keep her and be thankful for what we have.
No one, including Coyle wants Trachsel back. And we can do better than that. Much more money than most schools, higher lvl of competition, and a history of success that we want to get back to. Just because we like someone doesn't mean we should be afraid to change. Better isn't guaranteed either way, but you should still try. Vikings had the same issue with cousins. Nice guy, good qb, had a ceiling and needed to go.

I didn't say fire her now, I said hot seat next season.

I for one have been watching player interactions on the field. Krapf looks like she checked out weeks ago. Obvious state of frustration with the level of play this week. I project 4 transfers. Krapf, Snippes,Enter, and Oakland. Talented players hate playing below their level… it’s just not fun. They also want to be around talent , and be challenged during practice. Snippes being pulled after I believe 2 pitches was truly a defining moment. Yes, she hit batters, but also don’t forget she is a freshman. Ritter fails the young pitcher in so many ways. You gotta believe in them. Trust them, encourage them. She rarely walks to the mound. Think about the recent years of young pitchers…. They leave. They are good enough, have the skill set to be recruited, but don’t get developed in todays game emotionally. And the crowhopping pitcher should not have been on the mound at any college level. Coaches didn’t call it out, because they were busy at batting practice. I’m just being honest. If you were looking at MN as a high school pitcher, what would they be thinking on that form? We have issues that stem from lack of coaching abilities. .
Players absolutely do not want to be playing with teams below their lvl. Agree completely. See this all the time in travel ball and with my step daughter.

This is the article that I found describing a crowhop. https://www.fastpitchpower.com/what-causes-crow-hopping/
Yes, leaping off the rubber during delivery is legal. Maybe the original poster thought leaping and crowhopping were the same.
Earlier this year, Grayson wasn’t leaping and she topped out at 58-59 mph. Now she is topping out at 60-61. So, I would suggest that Piper actually encouraged her to do this now that it is no longer illegal.

Players absolutely do not want to be playing with teams below their lvl. Agree completely. See this all the time in travel ball and with my step daughter.
Agree in principle. However, the difference in talent level in club is significantly more between best and worst than it is at the B1G level.

The decision to transfer is complicated. Nobody on this team will transfer solely because the players on their new team are all significantly better than those on this team.

Good players also want to play, not sit. So they want to go where they know they will play.

There are well over 300 D1 softball teams, and believe it or not, all of them will fill their roster next year. Many players from non-softball factories will earn all conference and all America honors as well, so this idea that every good player a team has will automatically transfer is absurd. If they do, it will be a personal decision and nobody outside a players inner circle can predict what they might do.

Even if Chavez, Krapf, & Oakland stay, serious holes remain to be filled for 2025. They are: a backup catcher; first base; 2nd base; lf, cf, rf; dp, and of course dominating pitcher(s). (True lf & rf are returning, but they hit in the low .200s.) First base and all three outfield positions and dp demand some consistent power hitting. In 2024 there was none of that from any of those positions, and who off the bench in 2024 seems an available power with the bat in 2025? In addition, on your fingers you could count the number of complete games Gophers pitched in 2024. Long-term recruiting seems to have given way to hanging on to 5th-year Covid eligible players and grad student portal transfers. Viewing down the line, it seems a wreck waiting to happen. I really hope I'm wrong.

Even if Chavez, Krapf, & Oakland stay, serious holes remain to be filled for 2025. They are: a backup catcher; first base; 2nd base; lf, cf, rf; dp, and of course dominating pitcher(s). (True lf & rf are returning, but they hit in the low .200s.) First base and all three outfield positions and dp demand some consistent power hitting. In 2024 there was none of that from any of those positions, and who off the bench in 2024 seems an available power with the bat in 2025? In addition, on your fingers you could count the number of complete games Gophers pitched in 2024. Long-term recruiting seems to have given way to hanging on to 5th-year Covid eligible players and grad student portal transfers. Viewing down the line, it seems a wreck waiting to happen. I really hope I'm wrong.
I agree that the Gophers need to get better hitting for average and power at a lot of different positions. Actually, Valencia did do well at the plate this year - she hit .287. At the senior day recognition, I noticed that Cox had a heavily taped thumb. She hit well for average but not much for power. For me, the biggest puzzle this year was Maddie Ehlke. After a nice season last year, she was ineffective this year. Earlier someone thought removing Snippes after two pitches, both of which hit a batter, was not the right move. While that may not be right thing to do, consider Snippes' stats for the year:
14.2 innings, 21 hits, 15 walks, 5 wild pitches, 3 hit batters​
She is too good a pitcher to have those stats. Maybe, trying to leap led to her wildness. Hopefully, she'll improve her control next year.

Seasons are unpredictable I guess. Strelow had a career year, while Ehlke struggled more than expected. Enter pitched better than I expected while Snippes struggled more than expected. Besides Richardson, the Freshman class really didn’t make its presence felt. I am still waiting for Burnett and Leschber to really take off. But this stuff happens.

I do like the team in general and I like all the players individually. Put a Moulton or a Groenewagen or a Fiser or a Pease (2023 heathy version) on that team and they would have won a lot more games and they would be playing this coming week.

Last edited:

Snippes velocity is OK for this level. Not great, but not bad. It was Grayson who was leaping the latter part of the season. Snippes spin is fine as well, but she needs to get control of it, as her stats indicate.

She must be fine in bullpen sessions or Piper wouldn’t put her out there. With young players who didn’t play consistently at the highest levels of club ball, it can mess with their heads when pitches the batters used to swing and miss at are hit hard, and when pitches they used to chase are just called balls. So, it’s just more reps in workouts, which begets greater confidence in game situations.

Some hitters mentioned above are big and athletic, but they have slow bat speed. By contrast Krapf & Oakland (esp Krapf) whip their bats through the strike zone with lightning speed, which allows them to drive more balls much deeper. Most of the teams I saw beat MN had batting orders loaded with quicker bats than the Gophers. Hitters are also missing who aggressively go after pitches early in the count.

I stand corrected on this rule change . I do no the difference. Was not aware of
i was not aware of the crowhop rule change in 2023. Huge change to rules occurred allowing just 1 foot on rubber. We should see much faster pitching in a few years after younger girls of smaller stature are allowed to use their lower body more.

NW, Penn State, IU, Michigan make the tourney. Did I miss any

In all fairness to the players on this roster, their families, and the other coaches, how do they feel about Piper Ritter as the Head Coach? Has she been able to do justice in her duties for both coaching positions since she accepted the HC position for the Gopher softball program?

1 - Is it a possibility the expectations of her assistant coaches hasn't been communicated efficiently throughout the seasons?

2 - Is it a possibility the development of these young pitchers has also been compromised?

NW, Penn State, IU, Michigan make the tourney. Did I miss any
Surprised Penn State made it in, it just goes to show schedule a decent non-conference and win enough game and you'll get in the tournament. Now comes the nonsense that is the transfer portal.

In all fairness to the players on this roster, their families, and the other coaches, how do they feel about Piper Ritter as the Head Coach? Has she been able to do justice in her duties for both coaching positions since she accepted the HC position for the Gopher softball program?

1 - Is it a possibility the expectations of her assistant coaches hasn't been communicated efficiently throughout the seasons?

2 - Is it a possibility the development of these young pitchers has also been compromised?
Good question. We’ve never heard any rumblings like you see on other boards, so there’s that.

Let’s look at Piper’s tenure.

2021 - B1G refused to play any non-conference games, hurting the tournament chances of everyone, and especially sad for Amber Fiser. Yet were still one of only three B1G teams that made the tournament. Once there, we gave top seed UCLA a run for their money.

2022 - We came into the Fall of 2021 thinking we had Pease plus heralded fresh Leavitt to lead a staff that also included Ava Dueck and Brynn Hostetler. We set up a schedule that if navigated well, would have set us up for a top 8 seed. But Dueck retired due to chronic injury. Hostetler couldn’t find the plate must have thought playing at this level was too much and she transferred to Augsburg. Leavitt turned out to be one of those kids who thought she deserved to be at a better program, a cancer in the locker room. Pease had lingering issues from offseason surgery and was on a pitch count the entire season. We still made the tournament although as expected our lack of pitching depth killed us in the regional.

2023 - Great rebound year for Pease. Added Sydney Schwartz, Bri Enter, and Jacie Hambrick to cover the two unexpected losses plus the departure of Leavitt to Texas A&M of the SEC. Made the tournament and played pretty well but ran into an underseeded McNeese team that eventually had Washington beat before they realized what they were about to do and imploded in dramatic fashion. Had we been able to get past McNeese in extra innings, we could have challenged Washington with Autumn in the circle.

2024 - Brought in three frosh pitchers to start building the depth we will need in the future. I think more was expected of Hambrick, who has the stuff but not the command to be elite. Enter pitched better than at any point in her career but was shelved when we needed to make a run to make the tournament. Schwartz was out before conference play even started. Offensively, Piper’s best team. Defense was solid, but the combination of youth, injury, and inconsistency sealed our fate. Missed the tournament for then first time in over a decade.

It is pretty well known that Piper has Carly Wynn in charge of the offense. We play a power game, and we do it fairly well. I’d like to see us better in the small-ball game when needed and our situational hitting (moving runners over, getting runners in from third with less than two out, etc.) is average to poor. We have hitters who are confident enough to take strikes early in the count, but we do this even when we are facing top pitching or just a hot pitcher. In these cases, we may only see one hittable pitch in an at bat and we have to be ready to pounce if it happens to be the first pitch.

I think the jury is out on the development of the freshmen pitchers. With a season under their belt, it’s Piper’s job to tell them what they need to work on during the offseason. That’s when much of the improvement happens. It’s hard to work on mechanics during the season.

Add Susa and Schwartz to the freshmen, and next year is almost certainly a step up from this year. The question is how much.

Until the portal closes, and even after that if we are shopping the portal, you can’t really predict anything because you don’t have a roster.

But taking this approach to assessing the state of the program under Piper, Carly, and staff, it appears Piper has had some setbacks but overall has kept Minnesota softball in a pretty good place with an opportunity to get better. Barring mass portal defections that aren’t replaced with other good players from the portal, it seems she has laid a foundation for success in the future.

The only real criticism I have is that we need to recruit 1-2 pitchers every year to account for attrition. We didn’t bring any in prior to 2021 but that was somewhat to be expected as she had just taken over the reins and we were in the middle of the pandemic, so anyone we brought in would have committed under Trachsel. Since then, we brought in Leavitt, Schwartz, the three freshmen this year, amd Susa next year, an average of 1.5 per year, which is where we need to be going forward.

Can Carly find more players like Chavez and Oakland, who start (and produce) as freshmen? Minnesota has a recent tradition (Moulton, Walker, Richardson, Groenewegen, Parlich, Houlihan, Partain, Chavez, Oakland), of having contenders for B1G freshman of the year. We will need more of that going forward, as we obviously didn’t have that this season.

Top Bottom