Gopher Softball 2024

This is an effective way to lose a loyal fan base. Get a 4-run lead halfway through the game, then give up 7 runs in about 5 minutes? This is not D1 pitching. Hard to say which is worse, 2022 or 2024. This weekend the Gophers offense supported the circle by scoring 27 runs in 3 games, but the pitching gave up 25 to an opponent with a below .500 W-L record. The Gophers high school recruitment search for D1 pitching must be with no eye out for potential top talent or any ability to judge it or attract it. MN hasn't brought in a super pitcher out of high school since Fiser went 13-0 in 2017. If the AD lets a program fall, it's a long way back up. Currently down's where we're heading.
What’s your opinion about Natalie Susa for next year? Should Piper use the freshman more this season and see how they develop? Bench Hambrick?

What’s your opinion about Natalie Susa for next year? Should Piper use the freshman more this season and see how they develop? Bench Hambrick?
I can live with the young arms have a bad day/Inning but veterans such as Enter and Hambrick walking, hitting batters is just not what this program is all about. I do see a little promise with Schwartz, Richardson and Snippes

Last edited:

Why was Richardson pulled after 2 no hit innings? Don’t sell Oakland out, not all athletes are NIL greedy.
If she does decide to transfer out, it's most likely not because of the NIL. Zero pitching at times, below average lineup and who the hell knows what the coaches are doing. I'm sure she would rather be a small fish in a big pond than a big fish in a very tiny pool.

I can live with the young arms have a bad day/Inning but veterans such as Enter and Hambrick walking, hitting batters is just not what this program is all about. I do see a little promise with Schwartz, Richardson and Snippes
I think at this level, if a player is going to produce big, they'll do it from the start as freshmen, like Groenewegen/Macken/denHartog in the past & Chavez/Oakland now. If they're still trying to fimd and develop their games as upperclassmen, it's probably too late. As one highly successful veteran coach put it, "If you want to win big at this level, do it with underclassmen; as seniors they have too many other things interfering on their mind." The Gophers need more players who hit the ground running their first year. Gotta go out and find 'em.

I wonder if Coyle cares enough about the program to start looking at any possible coaching changes.

Like to see more of Grayson as well.

There are certain players that appear to have their "head in the game" no matter the circumstances. But how do you turn around so many that don't?

As a fan you begin to ask do they have goals, aspirations, are focused while maintaining a caring attitude? Are they capable of handling being role models and a student/athlete player that they signed up for? This is where an outstanding coach, HC or Assistant, should be able to step in and turn these player(s) around.

At this point, I also have concerns about this coaching staff. Maybe just maybe Piper still hasn't hired the right assistants to complement her capabilities.

Yup! Sad to say they lost me as a fan. I’ll say it again; Piper can’t focus on pitching and being a head coach. Sucks we won’t be in the tournament this year.
Sorry that a bad year or 2 was all it took to lose you as a fan. Piper did fine handling both last year. One of the issues could be the number of pitchers she is coaching. It is hard to get six pitchers the individual attention they might need.

Sorry that a bad year or 2 was all it took to lose you as a fan. Piper did fine handling both last year. One of the issues could be the number of pitchers she is coaching. It is hard to get six pitchers the individual attention they might need.
She did fine last year because she had an Ace that she could count on; this year its all being exposed. Yes, I know that throwing actual pitches doesn't fall on the coach; but developing players does. There are a handful of players that start that have been performing the same since day 1. I believe she is a good pitching coach, but I think she is in over her head and an upgrade on the assistants need to happen. Basic fundamental plays are not happening and its frustrating as a fan.
I'll admit I probably over-reacted when I said they lost me as a fan; I've been following them too long to totally throw in the towel. However, I do need to see some improvement to spend three hours consistently watching them.

Unless the athletics director is doing a poor job, the only reason for the president being involved with coaches would be misconduct or rules violations by the coaching staff.
I remember when Donna Shelela (spelling?) came to the U of Wisconsin as president, their Athletic Dept. was rock bottom. She fixed that in a hurry.
She did fine last year because she had an Ace that she could count on; this year its all being exposed. Yes, I know that throwing actual pitches doesn't fall on the coach; but developing players does. There are a handful of players that start that have been performing the same since day 1. I believe she is a good pitching coach, but I think she is in over her head and an upgrade on the assistants need to happen. Basic fundamental plays are not happening and its frustrating as a fan.
I'll admit I probably over-reacted when I said they lost me as a fan; I've been following them too long to totally throw in the towel. However, I do need to see some improvement to spend three hours consistently watching them.
Keeping those pitching aces coming in one after another is the key to a great program. Can't win without them.

I remember when Donna Shelela (spelling?) came to the U of Wisconsin as president, their Athletic Dept. was rock bottom. She fixed that in a hurry.
Exactly! The athletics director was doing a poor job and was replaced by Pat Richter. He as much as said that she supported the department, stayed out of the way, and let him run the department.

Not sure, but I remember there was some player discord with Leavitt and Chloe Evans and the other players.
I don't recall Chloe having issues with her teammates. In her farewell message, she mentioned working on her mental health. Several of her teammates wished her well.

I don't recall Chloe having issues with her teammates. In her farewell message, she mentioned working on her mental health. Several of her teammates wished her well.
I can’t say for certain if she part of the issues I know her name was mentioned in the conversation. I’m sure you have more knowledge about her situation than I do. I always liked her and glad she is doing well at UCF.

More than 9 games in front of your home crowd and also trips to the beaches doesn't hurt.

Emily Leavitt was supposed to be the next star pitcher. Her leaving was an Emily problem not a Piper problem.
She was average at best last year and a slight improvement this year, so that wasn't a huge loss

She was average at best last year and a slight improvement this year, so that wasn't a huge loss
I remember she had massive control issues her freshman year. Lots of walks and multi run homers.

I remember she had massive control issues her freshman year. Lots of walks and multi run homers.
Someone told me she was the most sought-after and most highly scholarship-loaded pitcher MN ever brought in. Whether true or not I don't know.

Someone told me she was the most sought-after and most highly scholarship-loaded pitcher MN ever brought in. Whether true or not I don't know.
I think she was ranked in the low 30’s for her class. She was highly rated, but not everyone ranked in the top 100 becomes successful at the next level.

Top Bottom