Gopher Softball 2024

As of today, it looks to me like Sydney Schwartz is likely to be what would be termed our “ace” pitcher this year; and therefore likely to get the most innings in the circle for the Gophers this year.

Not sure how good Texas Tech is after losing to them in the first game 2-1. Three hits doesn't quite cut it.

I live in the Dallas area so was able to attend the game. Only positive was Breezy and her smile.
Pitchers got hit hard and coaching staff needs a lot of work. This is not a NCAA team.
I dont ever need to see Krapf trying to bunt with a runner on and no outs again in my life. Lots of rumblings in the stands after that choice. That girl should only be swinging!

Is there ANYONE out there that can teach this team how to hit a softball?

Hambrick and Gophers getting rocked early. Already down 4-0 and still in bottom of 2nd.

Hallelujah!!! They do know how to hit. Chavez with a three run bomb.

Three straight strikeouts to end the game. I know it's only the second week, but holy shit we're awful.

Three straight strikeouts to end the game. I know it's only the second week, but holy shit we're awful.
I think we are seeing what it is like to be a middle of the pack Big Ten team again after 10 years of being a top of the pack Big Ten team. We had it coming I guess.

Macy Richardson may need to step up fast.

Chloe Barber struck out 15 for Wichita State in a complete game win at Arkansas today. I know she was a top high school pitcher locally, known for her strikeouts but also for her wildness at times.

Piper brought in three freshmen pitchers this year, only one from Minnesota. Does anyone know any backstory on Barber’s recruitment?

With this pitching staff, MN will need to score double digit runs to have a chance.
Remind me what recruits we have coming next year? Can any of them hit?

With this pitching staff, MN will need to score double digit runs to have a chance.
Remind me what recruits we have coming next year? Can any of them hit?
I think the headliner recruit is pitcher Natalie Susa. But, she got injured all of last season. Hopefully her injury has no long term effects.

Leading 6-0 going to the bottom of 6 only to lose 7-6. Texas Tech got 6 runs in the bottom of the 6th. From my unprofessional assessment, Piper should not let any pitcher stay in the game for more than 5 innings.

Leading 6-0 going to the bottom of 6 only to lose 7-6. Texas Tech got 6 runs in the bottom of the 6th. From my unprofessional assessment, Piper should not let any pitcher stay in the game for more than 5 innings.
Fully agree that this staff does not have a 5-plus inning pitcher. Also, freshman pitchers really need to step up.

After watching them live yesterday I’m shocked this team can score 6 runs. Does Chavez and Oakland stick around next year?

Good question
Answering my own question, Gophers brought in Chavez, Oakland, & Krapf in a short period, now no new players of comparable talent this year. How can a program progress at this slow rate? The bottom half of the batting order produces nothing and no new top national level pitching talent out of high school since Fiser 8 years ago. The program is stagnating without better recruiting.

Answering my own question, Gophers brought in Chavez, Oakland, & Krapf in a short period, now no new players of comparable talent this year. How can a program progress at this slow rate? The bottom half of the batting order produces nothing and no new top national level pitching talent out of high school since Fiser 8 years ago. The program is stagnating without better recruiting.
Agree, so why is the recruiting not better?

I’ll say it again, as much as recruiting has to get way better, but there’s got to be changes to this coaching staff.

I think we are seeing what it is like to be a middle of the pack Big Ten team again after 10 years of being a top of the pack Big Ten team. We had it coming I guess.

Macy Richardson may need to step up fast.
Right now they are far from even being a middle of the pack B10 program.

I’ll say it again, as much as recruiting has to get way better, but there’s got to be changes to this coaching staff.
Reminds me of that Office episode where Michael quits and Charles has to find a new manager, and he looks into the camera and says "we're going with an outside hire...for obvious reasons". With that being said Ritter gets another year maybe two to try and make this program relevant again.

Top Bottom