gopher recruiting ranked 12th in Big Ten

I think if you were to do that analysis for most major college football teams, all would have a heavier percentage of underclassmen. A large number of walkons join the team early, put in a ton of effort and work, and by their junior year they quit either because they will never see the field and don't think its worth it anymore, or injuries, etc.

OK, I got curious about the breakdown that MaxyJR posted in regard to Wisconsin's program. Like Minnesota, the Badger roster includes 119 student athletes. Of those 119 players, 86 of them (72.3%) are either true freshmen, RS freshmen, or sophomores. Meaning the Badgers are only carrying 33 upperclassmen. Breakdown of each class for Wisconsin:
Freshmen - 57; Sophomores - 29; Juniors - 12; Seniors - 21.

I think the major difference, for whatever reason, is that Minnesota is having to rely much heavier on the young kids. As I look at the Senior class for UW, the majority are major contributors to the current team. I'm not sure if that is the case with UM. It is interesting how small UW's Junior class is.

I think the major difference, for whatever reason, is that Minnesota is having to rely much heavier on the young kids. As I look at the Senior class for UW, the majority are major contributors to the current team. I'm not sure if that is the case with UM. It is interesting how small UW's Junior class is.

That's the nail on the head. OUr Jr's and Sr's are underdeveloped and have had about 13 different coaches coaching them.

Good post it shows what a consistent system can do.

A class rated 8-12 with guys who stick around is better than a class rated 5-8 with a bunch of dropouts. So I guess we will see in 3-5 years how the class turns out.

Odd, anytime they have a play with positive yards they are penalized.

why would any kid pick minnesota? what are the positives? play in a sweet stadium that is empty? get slaughtered by everyone in the big ten as well as fcs teams? i am a huge gopher fan and i am defeated. i cant handle watching god awful football and then having people try to convince me of how great of a coach jerry kill is. prove it, show me something...show some kind of improvement! this sh*t is brutal and no one can tell me things are getting better. worst team in fbs, worst recruiting in the B1G, with a fanbase that makes excuses! i already emailed kaler 3 times this month. if things are going to get better we have to demand it and stop with the lame ass excuses.

Top Bottom