Gopher recruiting classes compared to Minnesota prep stars who left

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe Nelson:

Minnesota has become a recruiting hotbed in basketball, but few have stayed home and played for their home-state Gophers, instead opting to raise their national profiles elsewhere.

While coach Richard Pitino and his staff at the University of Minnesota hit a home run with the 2018 recruiting class that featured Daniel Oturu, Gabe Kalscheur, Jarvis Omersa and transfer Marcus Carr, this season's struggles to consistently win in a loaded Big Ten has put a spotlight on the in-state recruits that haven't stayed home in recent years, namely the 2017 and 2019 recruiting classes.

Last year, none of the top-seven in-state recruits stayed home. That class was headlined by 5-star Matthew Hurt going to Duke, 4-star guard Tyrell Terry going to Stanford and 4-star forward Zeke Nnaji choosing Arizona.

Hurt has been a primary starter at Duke, where he plays alongside 2018 Minnesota Mr. Basketball Tre Jones. Terry and Nnaji are two of the best freshmen in the country, both starring in the Pac 12.

Then there's the leader of the Pac 12, Colorado, who is paced on a nightly basis by 2017 Minnesota Mr. Basketball winner McKinley Wright IV. The 2017 senior class in Minnesota completely avoided the Gophers as none of the top-eight recruits, per 247Sports, stayed home.

Go Gophers!!

The recent inability to recruit top mn kids will be the second thing mentioned when Pitino is fired in April.

april? no way. if he's fired it will be within 2 days of big ten tournament ending. coyle isn't waiting until april.

Did he really include Omersa as a plus recruit?....The guy couldn't start for St Cloud State.

I wonder how many of those kids academically can't get into the University of Minnesota?

I don't think many of us Understand how difficult it is academically to get in to the University of Minnesota. Basketball football or any other sport

Bit they can get into Wisconsin? Marquette? Duke? STANFORD??

Stop with the excuses.

You didn't include Arizona, but I will. Arizona = weather and women. Do I need to say more? Maybe a bb tradition? Colorado was also mentioned in the article. It's where my daughter dreams of moving to. I've been there, it's a beautiful state, winters are not as harsh as here, and if you like mountains or if you like things that are legal there that are not legal here, which ALOT of young people do, then come on guys, some young kids are going to want to go to a place like Colorado.

One and doners. Do we even want them? Seriously. How many Titles have they helped Kentucky win? How many titles have our hockey one and doners helped us win? If we become good enough like UNC and Duke are, and limit the # of one and doners, they can be a good thing. But at the stage we are at, they wouldn't help us, they'd hurt us more, imo. I could be wrong. I'm sure the buzz of landing one or two of the top recruits might help in getting some of the 51-151 ranked players that are more likely to stick around awhile? But it's hard for me, as a fan, to buy into the idea of hot young recruits just using the U as a stepping stone to the NBA. How many one and doners even finish a single year of college? Can you honestly claim that the U did anything to contribute to their success as a player if they are only here for one year to show off their skills to NBA scouts?

Now, as for the schools you mentioned...

Stanford? Let's see, one of the most highly respected academic institutions IN THE WORLD. Walk into a job interview with a Degree from Stanford on your resume, and it's almost an automatic hire. I wouldn't doubt it if it's more desirable than having an Ivy League Degree? Why? Because Ivy league degrees are just as often BOUGHT, and Ivy league grads are far more often arrogant and full of themselves. Their parents were rich or influential and they feel privileged and deserving of the world's adoration and obedience. I've always got the impression that Stanford grads are more of like Blue Collar geniuses, the ones who actually worked hard to get their good grades. And do I need to even mention the weather factor? Stanford = Cali = no snow or cold???

Duke? Come on, a lot of the guys who are leaving to go to Duke, are thinking that they are only going to be there for one year, so best chance to get to the Final Four in their one year in cbb, is to go to a place like Duke or UNC. And there are a ton of jobs in that Duke/UNC area, too, so it's not a bad thing to have on your resume that you played for either of those schools, and if you stay and/or return and get your degree from either, they are considered very good schools. And it's possible that Wisconsin could be added to this list as well.

Wisconsin? Well, we all know that people from Iowa and Wisconsin move to Minnesota for what? Because they are fans of the Gophers? HELL NO!!! For JOBS. Or as Mike Pence would say, JOBS, JOBS, JOBS. So they raise their kids here, in Minnesota, while maintaining their hatred of the Gophers and their love of the Hawkeyes or Badgers or Marquette/ISU maybe? And we are surprised that their children grow up wanting to leave Minnesota and go play for ISU, Iowa, Marquette or Wisconsin? Come on people. We Gopher fans know there are divided loyalties here in Minnesota, because so many come here just for the jobs, but we are Gopher fans likely because we actually were not only born here and raised here, but our parents probably were, too, or when our parents moved here, they became Gopher fans, so we were raised up in Gopher loving homes, and hence either because of our parents, or just our loyalty to our state, or maybe simply our location meant we gave the Gophers a chance and they won us over somehow, but we then forget that not everyone here in Minnesota loves the Gophers. Which for recruiting is just fine. We need to get over this obsession with needing to keep the local boys home. In basketball, in modern history, meaning post Dutcher Era, what have local boys done for Gopher BB? Who have the best Gopher BB players been, and where did they come from? The whole Pride on Ice sh1t has forever stained the Gopher fandom, not all, but too many, with the idea that we must keep our locals home. Well, that and maybe the Lindsey Whalen/Paul Molitor effect? But Janel McCarville was from Wisconsin, was she not? Kyle Okposo was from Minnesota and bolted half way through his 2nd season while Phil Kessel did it the right way and left after the season, so we could bring in someone to replace him, and he and his superstar sister were from where? Minnesota? NO!!! Wisconsin. Leo Nomellini was from Germany I think? Norman Borlaug was from Iowa. Ernest O Lawrence and Al Nier were from South Dakota, Bobby Bell and Carl Eller were from where? North Carolina? Bobby Jackson wasn't from Minnesota, was he? Oh, but Kris Humphries was a Minnesotan, as was Adam Boone and Joel Pryzbilla, all 3 SAVIORS who brought us Basketball glory, right? They all led us to Conf Titles, right? No? They didn't? But out of stater Bobby Jackson did? Say it isn't so? Where was Thomas Vanek from? Where was Ryan Potulny from? How well did our 100% Minnesota Rosters of the Doug Woog era do? Did they ever bring us any Natl Titles? Herbie had non-Minnesotans on the rosters of his 3 Title winning teams, did he not? Lou Nanne was a friggin Canadian even. He's STILL contributing towards making UMn a better place.

So lets just let this whole "gotta keep the locals home" bs go.

This is the age of the internet and cheap airfare and cheap gas/fuel. It's also the age of big TV contracts and big time college sports budgets, and full time head coaches who don't need regular jobs on the side, and can hire tons of staff members, many with connections from where they grew up or played or coached prior to coming to UMn. I mean, just look at our football roster.

2019 roster
11 from Georgia, including Bateman, Smith & Brooks
9 from Illinois, including Autman-Bell
6 from Florida, including Bryce Williams
6 from Ohio
6 from Wisconsin
5 from Texas, including both Winfields
5 from Michigan, including Bryce W and Herbers
2 from Maryland, including Ibrahim
2 from Canada
2 from Kentucky, including Morgan
1 from Oregon, Demetrius Douglas
1 from Louisiana, Coney Durr
1 from Pennsylvania, Treyson Potts
1 from Australia, Faalele
3 from Missouri
2 from Nevada
1 from Indiana
1 from California
2 from South Dakota
1 from Virginia
1 from Iowa
That is 68 non-Minnesotans and don't quote my numbers, I did this research quickly and surely forgot to mention significant players. I work 80 hours a week during the fall, and am lucky to get to watch the games, gotta listen to them more often than not, and spend my summers outdoors. Am also an all-around sports fan, so when the football team has a down year, I pay more attention to the hockey or bb teams in the winter when I'm off from work. This year the fb team had a great year and I'm more focused on it now, but basically what I'm meaning to say is, I don't recognize half to 2/3rds of the names on the fb team's roster. That tells me that they are not scoring the TDs or making the plays on defense. So the vast majority of the 40 Minnesotans on the roster, well, I don't recognize their names, and understand that alot of them are just frosh or are lineman and get mentioned less. Some I recognize from the little I pay attention to recruiting. But my point is, outside of Tyler Johnson, Carter Coughlin, Kamal Martin, Sam Renner, Thomas Barber, Seth Green and Sam Schlueter, which is 7 out of 40, I either don't recognize the rest of the Minnesotans names, or don't hear them enough. Zack Annexstad I know of, but he may never play another down for the Gophers, or at least I hope he never does, I mean, I hope Morgan never gets injured and that some young hotshot eventually takes Morgan's spot and that ZA transfers out and leads NDSU to FCS title #10 or something?

Think of it, our QB, all of our RBs basically, all but 1 of our top WRs, our biggest and most promising lineman, our TE, our Kicker and Punter, our best guy on defense, they are all NOT from Minnesota.

So why don't we get over this whole "gotta keep the homies home" thing?

20 years from now when Pitino/or his replacement, has the Gophers going to their Nth straight Final Four, whoever our coach is will STILL not be able to keep all of the homies home. Why? Because the weather in the SW will always be glorious for those who can handle the heat, and Duke/UNC will always suck in fb(for the most part) but be obsessed with cbb and be rocking the ACC, and Wisconsin and Iowa will always be able to steal their own from out of the state they or their parents went to just for the better jobs, and alot of young kids will still always like the idea of getting out to see the world, and/or maybe, getting out from underneath the watchful eye of their parents/family. It's as simple as that. Not saying getting to a Final Four/having a better coach, might not help in avoiding EVER getting guys like Hurt/Harris/Greenlee on the roster and being able to get the occasional one and doner that can help us actually get to the Final Four that one year, just saying, lets care more about getting the best/right players for our system and culture and guys who WANT TO COME HERE.

You didn't include Arizona, but I will. Arizona = weather and women. Do I need to say more? Maybe a bb tradition? Colorado was also mentioned in the article. It's where my daughter dreams of moving to. I've been there, it's a beautiful state, winters are not as harsh as here, and if you like mountains or if you like things that are legal there that are not legal here, which ALOT of young people do, then come on guys, some young kids are going to want to go to a place like Colorado.

One and doners. Do we even want them? Seriously. How many Titles have they helped Kentucky win? How many titles have our hockey one and doners helped us win? If we become good enough like UNC and Duke are, and limit the # of one and doners, they can be a good thing. But at the stage we are at, they wouldn't help us, they'd hurt us more, imo. I could be wrong. I'm sure the buzz of landing one or two of the top recruits might help in getting some of the 51-151 ranked players that are more likely to stick around awhile? But it's hard for me, as a fan, to buy into the idea of hot young recruits just using the U as a stepping stone to the NBA. How many one and doners even finish a single year of college? Can you honestly claim that the U did anything to contribute to their success as a player if they are only here for one year to show off their skills to NBA scouts?

Stanford? Let's see, one of the most highly respected academic institutions IN THE WORLD. Walk into a job interview with a Degree from Stanford on your resume, and it's almost an automatic hire. I wouldn't doubt it if it's more desirable than having an Ivy League Degree? Why? Because Ivy league degrees are just as often BOUGHT, and Ivy league grads are far more often arrogant and full of themselves. Their parents were rich or influential and they feel privileged and deserving of the world's adoration and obedience. I've always got the impression that Stanford grads are more of like Blue Collar geniuses, the ones who actually worked hard to get their good grades. And do I need to even mention the weather factor? Stanford = Cali = no snow or cold???

Duke? Come on, a lot of the guys who are leaving to go to Duke, are thinking that they are only going to be there for one year, so best chance to get to the Final Four in their one year in cbb, is to go to a place like Duke or UNC. And there are a ton of jobs in that Duke/UNC area, too, so it's not a bad thing to have on your resume that you played for either of those schools, and if you stay and/or return and get your degree from either, they are considered very good schools. And it's possible that Wisconsin could be added to this list as well.

Wisconsin? Well, we all know that people from Iowa and Wisconsin move to Minnesota for what? Because they are fans of the Gophers? HELL NO!!! For JOBS. Or as Mike Pence would say, JOBS, JOBS, JOBS. So they raise their kids here, in Minnesota, while maintaining their hatred of the Gophers and their love of the Hawkeyes or Badgers or Marquette/ISU maybe? And we are surprised that their children grow up wanting to leave Minnesota and go play for ISU, Iowa, Marquette or Wisconsin? Come on people. We Gopher fans know there are divided loyalties here in Minnesota, because so many come here just for the jobs, but we are Gopher fans likely because we actually were not only born here and raised here, but our parents probably were, too, or when our parents moved here, they became Gopher fans, so we were raised up in Gopher loving homes, and hence either because of our parents, or just our loyalty to our state, or maybe simply our location meant we gave the Gophers a chance and they won us over somehow, but we then forget that not everyone here in Minnesota loves the Gophers. Which for recruiting is just fine. We need to get over this obsession with needing to keep the local boys home. In basketball, in modern history, meaning post Dutcher Era, what have local boys done for Gopher BB? Who have the best Gopher BB players been, and where did they come from? The whole Pride on Ice sh1t has forever stained the Gopher fandom, not all, but too many, with the idea that we must keep our locals home. Well, that and maybe the Lindsey Whalen/Paul Molitor effect? But Janel McCarville was from Wisconsin, was she not? Kyle Okposo was from Minnesota and bolted half way through his 2nd season while Phil Kessel did it the right way and left after the season, so we could bring in someone to replace him, and he and his superstar sister were from where? Minnesota? NO!!! Wisconsin. Leo Nomellini was from Germany I think? Norman Borlaug was from Iowa. Ernest O Lawrence and Al Nier were from South Dakota, Bobby Bell and Carl Eller were from where? North Carolina? Bobby Jackson wasn't from Minnesota, was he? Oh, but Kris Humphries was a Minnesotan, as was Adam Boone and Joel Pryzbilla, all 3 SAVIORS who brought us Basketball glory, right? They all led us to Conf Titles, right? No? They didn't? But out of stater Bobby Jackson did? Say it isn't so? Where was Thomas Vanek from? Where was Ryan Potulny from? How well did our 100% Minnesota Rosters of the Doug Woog era do? Did they ever bring us any Natl Titles? Herbie had non-Minnesotans on the rosters of his 3 Title winning teams, did he not? Lou Nanne was a friggin Canadian even. He's STILL contributing towards making UMn a better place.

This is the age of the internet and cheap airfare and cheap gas/fuel. It's also the age of big TV contracts and big time college sports budgets, and full time head coaches who don't need regular jobs on the side, and can hire tons of staff members, many with connections from where they grew up or played or coached prior to coming to UMn. I mean, just look at our football roster.

2019 roster
6 from Ohio
6 from Wisconsin
2 from Canada
3 from Missouri
2 from Nevada
1 from Indiana
1 from California
2 from South Dakota
1 from Virginia
1 from Iowa
That is 68 non-Minnesotans and don't quote my numbers, I did this research quickly and surely forgot to mention significant players. I work 80 hours a week during the fall, and am lucky to get to watch the games, gotta listen to them more often than not, and spend my summers outdoors. Am also an all-around sports fan, so when the football team has a down year, I pay more attention to the hockey or bb teams in the winter when I'm off from work. This year the fb team had a great year and I'm more focused on it now, but basically what I'm meaning to say is, I don't recognize half to 2/3rds of the names on the fb team's roster. That tells me that they are not scoring the TDs or making the plays on defense. So the vast majority of the 40 Minnesotans on the roster, well, I don't recognize their names, and understand that alot of them are just frosh or are lineman and get mentioned less. Some I recognize from the little I pay attention to recruiting. But my point is, outside of Tyler Johnson, Carter Coughlin, Kamal Martin, Sam Renner, Thomas Barber, Seth Green and Sam Schlueter, which is 7 out of 40, I either don't recognize the rest of the Minnesotans names, or don't hear them enough. Zack Annexstad I know of, but he may never play another down for the Gophers, or at least I hope he never does, I mean, I hope Morgan never gets injured and that some young hotshot eventually takes Morgan's spot and that ZA transfers out and leads NDSU to FCS title #10 or something?

Think of it, our QB, all of our RBs basically, all but 1 of our top WRs, our biggest and most promising lineman, our TE, our Kicker and Punter, our best guy on defense, they are all NOT from Minnesota.

20 years from now when Pitino/or his replacement, has the Gophers going to their Nth straight Final Four, whoever our coach is will STILL not be able to keep all of the homies home. Why? Because the weather in the SW will always be glorious for those who can handle the heat, and Duke/UNC will always suck in fb(for the most part) but be obsessed with cbb and be rocking the ACC, and Wisconsin and Iowa will always be able to steal their own from out of the state they or their parents went to just for the better jobs, and alot of young kids will still always like the idea of getting out to see the world, and/or maybe, getting out from underneath the watchful eye of their parents/family. It's as simple as that. Not saying getting to a Final Four/having a better coach, might not help in avoiding EVER getting guys like Hurt/Harris/Greenlee on the roster and being able to get the occasional one and doner that can help us actually get to the Final Four that one year, just saying, lets care more about getting the best/right players for our system and culture and guys who WANT TO COME HERE.
WTF does any of this have with my post?

WTF does any of this have with my post?

Reading comprehension problems? Explanations are not excuses. There is NO requirement EVER, to keep local talent in order for college sports teams to succeed. Oregon fb in 2019 & 2020 got ONE single solitary Oregon raised fb player. Apparently they don't need them? Arizona BB has flourished over the years with rosters of almost no native Arizonians. I'm sure I could come up with dozens of examples of programs that depend on almost exclusively out of state talent. Gopher Golf teams have depended largely on foreign players.

Reading comprehension problems? Explanations are not excuses. There is NO requirement EVER, to keep local talent in order for college sports teams to succeed. Oregon fb in 2019 & 2020 got ONE single solitary Oregon raised fb player. Apparently they don't need them? Arizona BB has flourished over the years with rosters of almost no native Arizonians. I'm sure I could come up with dozens of examples of programs that depend on almost exclusively out of state talent. Gopher Golf teams have depended largely on foreign players.
LOL.

Dude, the original post I responded to implied MN kids cant qualify for the U of M due to academic standards, and that's why Pitino cant get them.

Kids who went to WI. Duke. Stanford, FFS.

Make an effort to keep up with the conversation.

Last edited:

Omersa is a very good athlete, plays defense well, and shows a lot of enthusiasm. He doesn't deserve this kind of snarky comment. --+
Agreed. I think if he was given some confidence he would be a much more athletic Miles Tarver. He took a long time to develop but in the end he was pretty decent. Love this kids energy and athleticism, you can see his potential.

Agreed. I think if he was given some confidence he would be a much more athletic Miles Tarver. He took a long time to develop but in the end he was pretty decent. Love this kids energy and athleticism, you can see his potential.

I think he'll be good bench player for us last two years, bringing rebounding, defense, and hustle.

He'll never be a double digit scorer (or very unlikely) but he'll contribute other ways

2019 roster
6 from Ohio
6 from Wisconsin
2 from Canada
3 from Missouri
2 from Nevada
1 from Indiana
1 from California
2 from South Dakota
1 from Virginia
1 from Iowa

Also check how many TX kids that Texas Tech had last year (3). How many Virginia kids did Virginia have (2: none that played). Baylors current roster only has 4 Texas kids (2 that play). You are 100% right on get the kids who want to be here. Who cares where they are from. These articles are all hindsight and don't prove diddly.

Who should we recruit?

Young men who WANT TO BE HERE!!!
Young men who DO NOT DRINK OR EAT SOY!!! Soyboys will destroy the world.
Young men WITH CHARACTER AND MORALS!!! They can be Buddhist for all I care, as long as they take their Buddhism seriously and live by it's principles, well, except while on the bb court of course, lol.
Young men who are good at more than one sport. Fleck is 100% right about this.
Young men who ARE WINNERS, who have won at something. Fleck is 100% right about this.

Can Fleck coach our bb team?

They used to do that back in the day, coaches would coach more than one sport, lol.

Does PJ have a brother?

And has no offensive game and hacks on defense

I actually have no problem with an Omersa type on scholarship. He can give you something in some situations. He is the type of player who can be a meaningful contributor on a decent team. He'll likely never be a starter, but he could be effective if he is played in the right situations.

Keep in mind, Damien Johnson's second year at the U, he averaged 10 minutes, 2 pts and 1 reb on 37% shooting. Jarvis is averaging 12.5 minutes, 2 pts, 3 rebs on 51% shooting. I'm not saying that Omersa is going to develop into Damien Johnson, I am just saying that kind of player (super athletic, non-stop hustle, junk yard dog) can really improve. Skills can be taught/refined, hustle and athleticism cannot.

Having a guy like Omersa on our bench is not an example of Pitino's failures. He is a player who will likely be a contributor later in his career and can play in moments now. Pitino's failure has been having so many people have to sit out a year (Willis, Carr, Stockman) and then swinging and missing on a number of recruits (Gilbert, Harris, Hurt, I. Washington, Josh Martin, Diedhiou).

Who should we recruit?

Young men who WANT TO BE HERE!!!
Young men who DO NOT DRINK OR EAT SOY!!! Soyboys will destroy the world.
Young men WITH CHARACTER AND MORALS!!! They can be Buddhist for all I care, as long as they take their Buddhism seriously and live by it's principles, well, except while on the bb court of course, lol.
Young men who are good at more than one sport. Fleck is 100% right about this.
Young men who ARE WINNERS, who have won at something. Fleck is 100% right about this.

Can Fleck coach our bb team?

They used to do that back in the day, coaches would coach more than one sport, lol.

Does PJ have a brother?

Will you make an exception for soy sauce?

And has no offensive game and hacks on defense

Dunce. He lacks on offense...but Omersa is definitely a plus defensive player. His jump from last year to this year has been noticeable.

If anything....you are the hack.

I don't know, is it worth it? They put soy into everything these days. I avoid it as much as is possible.

It's pretty good with Chinese food. What if I do ten pushups when I'm done?

Top Bottom