Gopher NC Sked Update (July 13); add Northern Illinois

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
According to northernillinois.scout.com, the Gophers will host the NIU Huskies on Tuesday, December 15. Coached by former Colorado coach Ricardo Patton, the Huskies had a RPI of #329 (of 343) last season.

Unofficially, that leaves us with two Gopher nonconference home opponents to be determined. The Gophers will play 12 nonconference games: 8 at home; 1 on the road; and 3 at a neutral site (Anaheim 76 Classic).

Final RPI for 2008-09 listed in parentheses.

Home (8)
1. Saturday, Dec. 12 -- SAINT JOSEPH'S (105) -- Atlantic 10
2. Tuesday, Dec. 15 -- NORTHERN ILLINOIS (329) -- MAC
3. Wednesday, Dec. 23 -- SOUTH DAKOTA STATE (283) -- Summit League
4. Date TBD -- STEPHEN F. AUSTIN (74, NCAA) -- Southland
5. Date TBD -- MORGAN STATE (130, NCAA) -- MEAC
6. Date TBD -- UTAH VALLEY STATE (238) -- Independent
7. Opponent TBD
8. Opponent TBD

Road (1)
1. Wednesday, Dec. 2 -- at Miami-Florida (65) -- ACC

Neutral/Anaheim Classic (3)
1. Thursday, Nov. 26 -- vs. Butler (24, NCAA) -- Horizon League
2. Friday, Nov. 27 -- vs. UCLA (33, NCAA)/Portland (120)
3. Sunday, Nov. 29 -- vs. West Virginia (21, NCAA)/Clemson (28, NCAA)/Texas A&M (36, NCAA)/Long Beach State (156)

Average RPI of Nonconference Opponents (thus far): 156
NCAA Qualifiers (3): Butler, Morgan State, Stephen F. Austin
Top 100 (3): Butler (24), Miami-Florida (65), Stephen F. Austin (74)

Northern Illinois? Are you kidding me? We should be paying like nothing for that crap. I didn't think we could get worse than South Dakota State, but we did.

I wonder when we'll ever get a good NC home game. Last year I was fine with our NC because of where the team was at, but with how we're steadily improving and barely losing anything, you'd think our schedule would be improving quite a bit as well.

Agreed, cant say im too thrilled about this either. It would be nice to see an opponent who wasnt just going to drag down our RPI even more...

These are the type of wins that no one cares about at the end of the year.

Any Better?

Let's hope Northern is vastly improved, which seems likely based on how awful they must have been last year and a new coach which should upgrade them.

We can do better than this, though. Ugh.

NIU

I would expect NIU to be significantly better this season, as this is now Patton's third year at the helm. However, I don't think this game bodes well for what's remaining of the schedule. It's looking more & more like Saint Joe's is our "marquee" home game, and even that hasn't been confirmed. Was hoping for more, but as Coolhand said a couple weeks ago, maybe we'll get a pleasant surprise with what's left.

Siena guy. Give the guy responsible for Siena's schedule a phone call/email and have him call Joe Esposito at the Minnesota basketball offices. He can suggest to Joe that Minnesota drop South Dakota State, Utah Valley State or NIU in favor of Siena. I'm sure he'll be very receptive.;)

If you guys truly are looking for a road game vs. a major program, it's rather disappointing if the Gophers aren't interested, for whatever reason. ... financial, not willing to work out a home-and-home or 2-for-1, or (most likely) they're afraid of losing.

FOT,

Again, this isn't about SOS. This thread is again about the head coach of the University of Minnesota failing to schedule quality non-conference home games for the loyal fans. This is about the AD of the University of Minnesota failing to require his head men's basketball coach to schedule a BCS opponent at home for fans that pay as much as any school in the Big Ten. This isn't about SOS.

Also, you said several months ago that JoeEsp guaranteed you that the home NC schedule was going to be better and there was a good opponent on there. What happened to that?

Sorry just can't spend 35 bucks to see the Gophers play Utah Valley State...just won't do it.

I am just about at the last straw. If renewal time comes up next year and there isn't an improvement in the home schedule. I'm out. That's the only way this is going to change--a bunch of season ticket holders need to bail. Going to watch NIU in the middle of December is not what I would classify as entertainment.

I am just about at the last straw. If renewal time comes up next year and there isn't an improvement in the home schedule. I'm out. That's the only way this is going to change--a bunch of season ticket holders need to bail. Going to watch NIU in the middle of December is not what I would classify as entertainment.

So long.

Top Bottom