Gopher Nation Deserves Brewster

Duluthguy

Reaction score
Okay, before I start venting and ranting, please remember before you start attacking me that I'm very sensitive and cry easily. With that said, reading many of the threads on this board leads me to conclude that the Gopher Nation deserves Brewster. Here's some of what I'm reading:

1. Minnesota is the Siberia of college football, and it will never be able to attract a big-name coach. Maybe, maybe not - even Michigan and Notre Dame have struggled at times to find coaches. Maybe the Gophs can get a top coach, maybe an assistant turns out to be the right fit, maybe the entire process fails again. Gee, I'm so scared - we better keep Brewster.

2. Brewster deserves one more year. No, if you are paid to do a job and you're not getting it done, you don't DESERVE anything. Going into the fourth year of watching Brewster learn on the job, the fans DESERVE not to waste another year of their time and money. Wow, with many of his recruits finally getting to be upper classmen, maybe we can go 6-6 again.

3. Nobody else has been able to win here. Yep, but only Holtz and Mason, at the time, were good hires. Like others have pointed out, Salem, Wacker, etc. didn't exactly move on to better things. No one outside of Minnesota thought that Brewster was a good hire, and they were right.

4. Brewster has met our low expectations. Now there's a ringing endorsement. Gee, if the team can struggle to 5-7 it will be just as inept as we thought it would be. Better keep Brewster. Did anyone really hope or expect four years ago that we'd be hoping to win a handful of games this year?

I could go on and on, but you get the idea. My problem is that I wasn't raised in Minnesota and I didn't go to the U. I have no vested interest. We moved to Minnesota shortly before Holtz was hired and had season tickets from when he was hired until we moved up here a few years ago. That's many, many years wasted watching crap football, and I can't keep saying," just one more year, just one more year..."

Many, many people on this board will say that I'm not a true fan. Maybe I don't want to be. At least not until people like the diehard fans on this board start demanding better. Maybe if the Gopher fan base was very demanding and expected great things, Maturi would have never taken such a huge risk in hiring Brewster. What kind of message is Maturi receiving even now?

I'm tired of trying to convince myself that the casual fan and the outside experts are the ones who have it all wrong. If Brewster gets another year, someone wake me when it's over.

If you don't demand any better, you don't deserve any better.

Well said. I agree, Gopher fans need to demand more from their coaches. I also believe we can win in MN now that we have the stadium and additional revenue. It does come down to the fans believing we can win and demanding it. Brewster has not delievered on wins and I am not willing to waste another season with Brewster and another season with a new coach implementing his new system. Cut the cord with Brewster and get the new coach in here so he can start coaching and recruiting.

I fault him for relying on Weber

I don't care how many yards the kid has thrown for, he's not a GAMER.. PERIOD... I think the team has stopped believing in Weber as well.. I know I would be really hard pressed to believe that he could really lead a team.. He can't, we've seen it whenever he doesn't have his sure thing WR...

Brewster refuses to allow someone else with better athleticism and accuracy to play. I don't care if Gray fumbles, I am sick and tired of watching Weber play Video Game Football.

Weber doesn't anticipate, he simply waits until he thinks someone will get open. You can see that Adam doesn't understand by the nature of the play who might be open and whom won't be...

This team with Asad Abdul Khaliq would have won 3 extra games last year..... It's just putrid coaching and decision making all around..

The U is screwed now because they would have to hire the equivalent to Lou Holtz of this era in order to turn things around quickly. Remember before Holtz bolted, we had a really good class coming in that decided to go elsewhere.....

Time to anti up and not try and get lucky with an unknown..

Good coaches have done more with less than Brewster has right now..

It's all about money

There a reason the Gophers football program is mediocre at best. Not enough money is budgeted for it. It's quite simple. Location has nothing to do with it. Madison and Iowa City aren't much warmer than Minneapolis.

The U has hire bargain-basement coaches since the 70s. They moved to the Dome, because they couldn't afford to restore historic Memorial Stadium. Heck even last year, the team had to bus to Iowa because they couldn't afford airfare. And most of the money that built the stadium came from taxpayers and student tuition increases.

Thank God some of the boosters spent some money to help with a few upgrades.

I don't know how the U spends its money. It always complains they don't have enough money. But it's obvious that it doesn't know how to spend it on athletics.

For example, the U had to spend money to build Ridder Arena, when it could have just shared Mariucci Arena. I'm all for Title IX, but we don't need another building for women's hockey when nobody goes to the games anyways.

Other schools like Wisconsin cut their losses and cut programs like baseball. The Kohl Center is a multifunctional building that hosts basketball and hockey (men's and women's) It also collects revenue from hosting state high school tournaments (basketball, hockey and wrestling). And Camp Randall also gets revenue from hosting the state football championship games.

I hate to compare the U with Wisconsin, but they have done a few things right in Madison to get a little extra cash. As much as I love all Gophers athletics, the U tries to support almost every kind of sport, using many different facilities, which costs a lot of money.

So when you have a crappy football program that doesn't bring in revenue to support all the other sports, something has to give. And Maturi doesn't want to be the AD that cuts sports, when obviously the U can't afford to keep them.

The bottom line is the athletic department is stretched too thin.

There a reason the Gophers football program is mediocre at best. Not enough money is budgeted for it. It's quite simple. Location has nothing to do with it. Madison and Iowa City aren't much warmer than Minneapolis.

The U has hire bargain-basement coaches since the 70s. They moved to the Dome, because they couldn't afford to restore historic Memorial Stadium. Heck even last year, the team had to bus to Iowa because they couldn't afford airfare. And most of the money that built the stadium came from taxpayers and student tuition increases.

Thank God some of the boosters spent some money to help with a few upgrades.

I don't know how the U spends its money. It always complains they don't have enough money. But it's obvious that it doesn't know how to spend it on athletics.

For example, the U had to spend money to build Ridder Arena, when it could have just shared Mariucci Arena. I'm all for Title IX, but we don't need another building for women's hockey when nobody goes to the games anyways.

Other schools like Wisconsin cut their losses and cut programs like baseball. The Kohl Center is a multifunctional building that hosts basketball and hockey (men's and women's) It also collects revenue from hosting state high school tournaments (basketball, hockey and wrestling). And Camp Randall also gets revenue from hosting the state football championship games.

I hate to compare the U with Wisconsin, but they have done a few things right in Madison to get a little extra cash. As much as I love all Gophers athletics, the U tries to support almost every kind of sport, using many different facilities, which costs a lot of money.

So when you have a crappy football program that doesn't bring in revenue to support all the other sports, something has to give. And Maturi doesn't want to be the AD that cuts sports, when obviously the U can't afford to keep them.

The bottom line is the athletic department is stretched too thin.

Just out of curiousity, as I have often wondered this, does anyone know why the U doesnt hold high school tournaments at their arenas?

I'd imagine many high school athletes would much rather play at Williams than Target Center and at TCF rather than the dome. Could help (a little) with recruiting of MN High School talent as well.

The U is not going to starve the non-revenue sports to funnel more money to the football team. It's just not going to happen. In any case, the problem with revenue wasn't with the non-revenue sports, but with the Metrodome. The Metrodome provided very little revenue, now we have the new stadium were we keep all the revenue. The dire revenue situation is based on a situation which is gone.

We left Memorial Stadium because we were essentially forced out of it. The state wanted us to be one more tenant in the dome, and there wasn't going to be a cent for renovation if we didn't move.

I demand that Katy Perry fornicate with me.

I demand that Maserati give me a free car and pay for all fuel and maintenance.

I demand that the state of Minnesota build me a $3 million house in North Oaks and let me live there tax-free for the rest of my life.

Just out of curiousity, as I have often wondered this, does anyone know why the U doesnt hold high school tournaments at their arenas?

They have and they do. For years and years and years.

Okay, before I start venting and ranting, please remember before you start attacking me that I'm very sensitive and cry easily. With that said, reading many of the threads on this board leads me to conclude that the Gopher Nation deserves Brewster. Here's some of what I'm reading:

1. Minnesota is the Siberia of college football, and it will never be able to attract a big-name coach. Maybe, maybe not - even Michigan and Notre Dame have struggled at times to find coaches. Maybe the Gophs can get a top coach, maybe an assistant turns out to be the right fit, maybe the entire process fails again. Gee, I'm so scared - we better keep Brewster. Not the attitude at all, we could hire anyone in the country if we paid enough cash. The U just won't do that so we have historically rolled the dice.

2. Brewster deserves one more year. No, if you are paid to do a job and you're not getting it done, you don't DESERVE anything. Going into the fourth year of watching Brewster learn on the job, the fans DESERVE not to waste another year of their time and money. Wow, with many of his recruits finally getting to be upper classmen, maybe we can go 6-6 again. It isn't about Brewster deserving one more year, it is about not appearing to have a short leash and unrealistic expectations to a quality coach so we don't have to take a Brewster type gamble again. 1 and 2 kind of go together here.

3. Nobody else has been able to win here. Yep, but only Holtz and Mason, at the time, were good hires. Like others have pointed out, Salem, Wacker, etc. didn't exactly move on to better things. No one outside of Minnesota thought that Brewster was a good hire, and they were right. I'm not sure what you are trying to get at here, but the fact remains that no one has been able to win here.
4. Brewster has met our low expectations. Now there's a ringing endorsement. Gee, if the team can struggle to 5-7 it will be just as inept as we thought it would be. Better keep Brewster. Did anyone really hope or expect four years ago that we'd be hoping to win a handful of games this year? I have yet to see a post by anyone happy to be 5-7, many feared it, but feared and pleased are not the same.

I could go on and on, but you get the idea. My problem is that I wasn't raised in Minnesota and I didn't go to the U. I have no vested interest. We moved to Minnesota shortly before Holtz was hired and had season tickets from when he was hired until we moved up here a few years ago. That's many, many years wasted watching crap football, and I can't keep saying," just one more year, just one more year..." Are GH'ers supposed to give you a refund for buying tickets for all those years? Newsflash, many of us bought tickets all those years. If you don't want to buy tickets don't, but don't expect a pity party because you have. You run your checkbook, no?

Many, many people on this board will say that I'm not a true fan. Maybe I don't want to be. At least not until people like the diehard fans on this board start demanding better. Maybe if the Gopher fan base was very demanding and expected great things, Maturi would have never taken such a huge risk in hiring Brewster. What kind of message is Maturi receiving even now? Everybody is demanding better. The only question is what is the best step forward to getting better. Do you honestly think that 'we should get better' is some sort of a big idea that was just bestowed on you?

I'm tired of trying to convince myself that the casual fan and the outside experts are the ones who have it all wrong. If Brewster gets another year, someone wake me when it's over.

If you don't demand any better, you don't deserve any better.

I don't get the point of your post.

I do agree with the fact it is up to us as fans to make our voices heard and demand the program improve...or more importantly to speak with our wallets. If you really want to make a difference and help push things forward and demand the program improves, donate, donate, donate. Complaining on a message board isn't going to do a thing to improve the program.

If it really is all about the money, a better coach and a better product on the field will get people spending money on tickets, encourage donations, etc. I can buy season tickets again, donate thousands of dollars, cheer my frickn' head off, and somehow I don't think that will help Brewster be a better head coach.

Most of my time as a Gopher fan, Entertainment books has offered two for one specials on specified Gopher games. Do you think they would have to be doing that if they spent the money up front on creating a product worth buying? Do you think there would be empty seats in a brand new stadium?

Besides, if you believe Maturi, during the hiring process he claimed that money was not a factor, and he did approach several big time coaches. I think that there are enough deep pockets around to front the cost for a good coach, but I guess it really doesn't matter. If everyone is so happy with the status quo, I'll simply go back to cheering for whatever team is playing Notre Dame that week.

Besides, if you believe Maturi, during the hiring process he claimed that money was not a factor, and he did approach several big time coaches. I think that there are enough deep pockets around to front the cost for a good coach, but I guess it really doesn't matter. If everyone is so happy with the status quo, I'll simply go back to cheering for whatever team is playing Notre Dame that week.

Money did play a factor in the hire. Gary Patterson all but accepted the position, then backed out when the U wasn't willing to meet his $2 million salary demands. Four years later TCU is a national power and the Gophs are where they are.

Who is happy with the status quo? I have not seen one post that would suggest this.

Don't get me wrong there is more to it than money and I completely agree that the status quo isn't good enough. I believe with the right coach (Al Golden, cough, cough), the Gophs can win and win on a consistent basis. But like any industry, if you're not willing to pay top dollar, you're not going to get top talent.

If it really is all about the money, a better coach and a better product on the field will get people spending money on tickets, encourage donations, etc. I can buy season tickets again, donate thousands of dollars, cheer my frickn' head off, and somehow I don't think that will help Brewster be a better head coach.

Most of my time as a Gopher fan, Entertainment books has offered two for one specials on specified Gopher games. Do you think they would have to be doing that if they spent the money up front on creating a product worth buying? Do you think there would be empty seats in a brand new stadium?

If that's what you see from reading this board the last couple of weeks then please do, or go seek treatment. Your call.

Where are "all these posts" where everyone is so happy with the status quo"? How many have you actually read? 100? 50? 30? 10? If anybody doesn't post "FIRE BREWSTER NOW" they're happy with the status quo?

For me it's simple, people can whine and brag all they want about what a great job this is but nobody with any track record seems to have ever come forth and said that they want it in the last 20 years. Even Dungy's guy didn't indicate he'd actually take the job. He just wanted to have it offered. The same way the d-bag from TCU did. "Hey, I got an offer for the Gopher job" has become a way to pad your resume or get a raise. It's not something that guys with options go ahead and take.

Minnesota= taxes. Anyone want to take that on either?

I'm done posting why, but please dump the Iowa and Wisconsin comparisons too, unless you've figured out a way to get the Vikings and Twins to leave town or move to Rochester. They don't stop the Gophers from winning, but they certainly give pause to and ego-driven Coach who wants to be "King of the World!". They're convinced it just won't happen here.

I want Brewster to succeed because I don't think the next guy and the next guy and the next guy etc. will succeed either.

If Brewster has a lousy year I think he should be fired but it won't get any better then mediocre when he's replaced either.

Buy all the "HEY, THIS IS A GREAT JOB" guys are the real Kool-Aid drinkers. the kind with poison in it.

Ruralgopher, I just noticed the comments you added to my comments and thought I'd respond.

I'm not having a "pity party," and I don't think that I have some amazing new perception that the Gophers need to improve. Good grief! I guess the point of my post is that after all of these years of being a rabid fan, I'm close to going back to being a mere casual fan. You know, the people we all complain about because they don't support Gopher football enough.

You are certainly welcome to criticize my post and many probably agree with you, but when you sit in the stadium next year and wonder where all the people are, don't blame them. I'm not alone, and another year of Brewster or another term of a questionable new coach will drive rabid fans into becoming casual fans, and many casual fans will simply give up. The new stadium temporarilly stopped the bleeding, but the patient is still on life support.

Maybe the point of my post was that before Brewster was hired the fan base should have made it clear that hiring someone with such little experience was totally unacceptable. They didn't, and, if he is fired, I don't see any signs of them doing it now. The problem with expectations is that you rarely exceed them.

Don't get me wrong there is more to it than money and I completely agree that the status quo isn't good enough. I believe with the right coach (Al Golden, cough, cough), the Gophs can win and win on a consistent basis. But like any industry, if you're not willing to pay top dollar, you're not going to get top talent.

:clap: Thank you.

Yeah Al went 1-11, 4-8, 5-7 before going 9-4 and getting them to a Bowl Game.

I'm sure you're thinking "why Brewster had a better record then that in his first three years and that's in the Big Ten, that means that he's going to go 7-2 the rest of the way!!!" :)

Interestingly enough they lost to a FCS team (Villanova) in their first game and got beat by Penn State in their second game. Then they got 7 of their 9 wins in the MAC and into their first Bowl Game in years. There they lost to UCLA. The only other BCS team on their schedule.

The Big Ten might be a little tougher then the MAC, but that's quite the comparison. Maybe Brewster IS the next Al Golden.

cough, cough ;)

Enjoyed that post Duluthguy

Al Golden is golden

I don't think you can even remotely compare Al Golden taking over Temple and Tim Brewster taking over the Gophers. Brewster took over a team that was at least consistently going to bowl games. Golden took over a Temple team that had not been to a bowl game since 1978. In 2008 Temple topped 4 wins in a season for the first time since 1990. Golden has pretty much built the Temple team up from scratch. I do question his fashion sense however. Those Temple pants are pretty silly looking.

I feel your pain Duluth. 45 plus or minus years worth. I still point the Toyota in the direction of MSP and TCF on Fridays or Saturdays and will do so as long as I can.

Maturi never asked us if we approve of the Brewster hire. Maturi hired him for his own reasons in his quest for someone to fit the bill to upgrade the program. After all, the UM power mongers went on record as wanting to raise the bar above Masonball which I am all in favor for. Brewster?? Who?

But Brewster is the coach and I'm still willing to play out the year and see where things stand; good or bad. I've seen this many times before and I keep on coming back. Hmmm.

Yeah Al went 1-11, 4-8, 5-7 before going 9-4 and getting them to a Bowl Game.

I'm sure you're thinking "why Brewster had a better record then that in his first three years and that's in the Big Ten, that means that he's going to go 7-2 the rest of the way!!!" :)

Interestingly enough they lost to a FCS team (Villanova) in their first game and got beat by Penn State in their second game. Then they got 7 of their 9 wins in the MAC and into their first Bowl Game in years. There they lost to UCLA. The only other BCS team on their schedule.

The Big Ten might be a little tougher then the MAC, but that's quite the comparison. Maybe Brewster IS the next Al Golden.

cough, cough ;)

I don't even know how you can compare the Gophers to the Temple situation. Temple was so freaking bad at football they got KICKED OUT of the Big East and replaced by UConn. They didn't downgrade to the MAC on their own accord, they were told to leave. Al Golden has worked wonders there in a very short amount of time.

I don't even know how you can compare the Gophers to the Temple situation. Temple was so freaking bad at football they got KICKED OUT of the Big East and replaced by UConn. They didn't downgrade to the MAC on their own accord, they were told to leave. Al Golden has worked wonders there in a very short amount of time.

It's true that Temple was ousted from the Big East but they were also talking about quitting their football program at the time. Their last winning year before Golden was 1990. they were 7-4 a record that would have got them a bowl game if they had been a Big Ten team with a Big Ten schedule, they weren't.

I thought the icons might have tipped you to the slightly sarcastic nature of the post, but what the hell. Golden is rumored to be on the short list of successors at Penn State so someone believes he's done a great job. Your reaction puts you in that camp, though maybe you rank him way higher then that.

Here's their record this century:

2000 Bobby Wallace 4-7
2001 Bobby Wallace 4-7
2002 Bobby Wallace 4-8
2003 Bobby Wallace 1-11
2004 Bobby Wallace 2-9
2005 Bobby Wallace 0-11
2006 Al Golden 1-11
2007 Al Golden 4-8
2008 Al Golden 5-7
2009 Al Golden 9-4

That means that Golden in his second and third year, had them back to where they were in 2000 through 2002. His breakthrough season included two losses against the only BCS teams he faced and a loss to a FCS (D1-AA) school.

Golden started doing a better job then Brewster last year, that's for sure, but to use your vernacular, let's not make him a "freaking genius" and football icon before he actually beats the BCS teams he has scheduled, he blows-out every D1-AA school he faces and he starts putting 30,000+ in the stands more then a couple of times a year.

I'm perfectly comfortable using those standards for Brewster. What grinds me is all the people around here that lower those standards for his possible replacement.

We already did that once, remember?

I was looking at Temple's schedule last night while reading up on Golden. They play Penn St. this weekend (a game they could, but probably won't, win) and then have a quite favorable schedule the rest of the way. If they beat PSU, they will run the table. How high does an undefeated Temple, with a road victory over PSU, go in the polls? Top 15? Top 10? And if we're in the market, does Golden leave a Temple team that just went somewhere between 10-3 and 13-0 to come to Minnesota? Or does he wait for a better offer? The latter is far more likely, I'm afraid.

I was looking at Temple's schedule last night while reading up on Golden. They play Penn St. this weekend (a game they could, but probably won't, win) and then have a quite favorable schedule the rest of the way. If they beat PSU, they will run the table. How high does an undefeated Temple, with a road victory over PSU, go in the polls? Top 15? Top 10? And if we're in the market, does Golden leave a Temple team that just went somewhere between 10-3 and 13-0 to come to Minnesota? Or does he wait for a better offer? The latter is far more likely, I'm afraid.

It depends on if he thinks he has an 'in' on the PSU job. If not, I think he would come. Greg Schiano turned down some great offers waiting for the same job, and I don't think he's such a hot property anymore. The same might be said for Edsall at UConn. They can't all have that job and it's not even certain when JoePa will exit. MN by its very presence in the Big 10 is a equal/better job then any Big East job outside of WVU and I don't see there being any openings in the ACC unless Butch Davis gets ousted at UNC. So there will be limited opportunities on the East Coast.

It depends on if he thinks he has an 'in' on the PSU job. If not, I think he would come. Greg Schiano turned down some great offers waiting for the same job, and I don't think he's such a hot property anymore. The same might be said for Edsall at UConn. They can't all have that job and it's not even certain when JoePa will exit.

He has to weigh in more than just the PSU job, though. He has to weigh if he thinks he will get a better offer than Minnesota over the next year or two. What if Tressel decides to retire in the next year or two? Golden may or may not be a candidate for a job like that. If Beamer retires shortly, they'd have to consider Golden a serious candidate - he was the UVa DC when he took the Temple job. Personally, if I'm him, I'd stay far away from Minnesota - as sad as that is for someone like me to admit.

As far as Schiano, from everything I've read, it seems as though the Michigan job was all but his after Carr "retired". Turning that down while pining away for the Penn St. job is why he's still at Rutgers 3 years later. If you're a college football coach, and you get offered the Michigan head coach job, you take it - unless you're also offered Florida, Texas, USC, Ohio St., or Alabama. I don't understand how he turned that job down if it's true that he was really offered.

He has to weigh in more than just the PSU job, though. He has to weigh if he thinks he will get a better offer than Minnesota over the next year or two. What if Tressel decides to retire in the next year or two? Golden may or may not be a candidate for a job like that. If Beamer retires shortly, they'd have to consider Golden a serious candidate - he was the UVa DC when he took the Temple job. Personally, if I'm him, I'd stay far away from Minnesota - as sad as that is for someone like me to admit.

As far as Schiano, from everything I've read, it seems as though the Michigan job was all but his after Carr "retired". Turning that down while pining away for the Penn St. job is why he's still at Rutgers 3 years later. If you're a college football coach, and you get offered the Michigan head coach job, you take it - unless you're also offered Florida, Texas, USC, Ohio St., or Alabama. I don't understand how he turned that job down if it's true that he was really offered.

This.

This is true to a point. But other then PSU, I don't think Golden has a real shot at any of the 'elite' jobs right now. Tressel's not retiring anytime soon. Niether is Beamer, and if he does, the current DC is his likely successor. Even UVa didn't seriously consider Golden when they hired Mike London. My point is, if you're at Temple and a Big 10 school offers you a job, you're darn well going to listen closely unless you know you have something bigger coming along and soon. This job has its issues, no doubt. But we're not Duke, Vanderbilt or Northwestern here. Is getting an offer from Maryland, UNC, Illinois, Kansas State, etc. really that much better then Minnesota? So much so that you'd turn down Minnesota to wait for them? I don't think so.

(1) Just because some of us like Brewster as a person doesn't mean we don't wish he were a better coach or this is what the state deserves or anything that was asserted in the original post. I can differentiate between someone I consider to be a decent guy and his shortcomings in his chosen profession. My theory as to why Brewster is failing--and will likely fail in the end--is too long and involved to post here. It's shorter and less circuitous than last year's "24" plot-line, but it's fairly involved, so I'll spare everyone.

(2) The problem with a guy like Golden is that I'm afraid it would be a bit of Glen Mason redux, not necessarily on the field, but in that every time progress is made, the phone calls will come and the coach will say "I'll answer the phone if it rings" and convey the Mason "I can hardly wait to blow this pop stand" attitude. That only reinforces our image as football "flyover country." Maybe Golden is different than that. I just got always got the feeling that Mason didn't feel that the Minnesota job was worth his complete effort and I wouldn't want to repeat that under any circumstances.

When the move is made (and I'm guessing barring a major turnaround it will be made after this season), I hope we get the kind of coach that is an up-and-comer who the University will invest in.

Top Bottom