Gopher legend Bob Stein Inducted Into College Football Hall of Fame

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the U:

The National Football Foundation (NFF) & College Hall of Fame announced today that former Golden Gopher Bob Stein is a member of the 2020 College Football Hall of Fame Class. The NFF Veterans Committee selection becomes the 19th Golden Gopher player to join the College Football Hall of Fame.

Stein played for the Golden Gophers from 1966-68 as a defensive end. Named a first-team All-American in 1967, Stein was also a two-time first-team All-Big Ten selection. A member of the 1967 co-Big Ten title team, Stein and the Gophers went 8-2 that year and 6-1 in Big Ten competition. He also served as the team's kicker and his 40-yard field goal in 1968 was a school record at the time. He led the team in kicker scoring with 20 points in 1967. Not only a stellar athlete, Stein was also a 1969 National Scholar Athlete, an Academic All-American and a Rhodes Scholarship semifinalist.

Following his collegiate career, Stein was drafted in the fifth round in 1969 by Kansas City and went on to play professional football for eight seasons. Playing in the Super Bowl at 21, he was a member of the 1970 Kansas City Chiefs championship team.

While playing for the Chiefs, he graduated in the top 10% of his class from the University of Missouri Kansas City School of Law. After his playing days, Stein went on to become the founding president and CEO of the Minnesota Timberwolves and is currently an attorney at his own law firm in Minneapolis, Bob Stein LLC.

He is a member of the University of Minnesota Hall of Fame and the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame Honor Roll of World Champions. He is also enshrined in the National Jewish Sports and St. Louis Park High School (MN) halls of fame. Stein is a member of the NFF Minnesota Chapter Board of Directors and previously served on the boards of the Children's Cancer Research Fund and the University of Minnesota National Alumni Association.

Stein is the first Gopher to be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame since Sandy Stephens, who was added to the Hall in 2011.

Go Gophers!!

Normal to induct them this many years later?

Shama chimes in:

Congratulations to former Gophers All-American defensive end Bob Stein after the National Football Foundation & College Hall of Fame named him a member of the 2020 College Football Hall of Fame Class. A key contributor to Minnesota’s 1967 co-Big Ten championship team, he is the 19th Golden Gopher player to join the College Football Hall of Fame, and first since quarterback Sandy Stephens in 2011.

Go Gophers!!

Shama chimes in again for some reason:

Congratulations to former Gopher defensive end Bob Stein who will be inducted into the National Football Foundation’s College Football Hall of Fame December 7 in Las Vegas. Stein made All-American in 1967 and was a key contributor to Minnesota’s last Big Ten championship team. The St. Louis Park native was also an Academic All-American. University of Minnesota alum Mark Sheffert and the late Pat Fallon, the Minneapolis advertising whiz, advocated for Stein’s overdue recognition by the NFF.

Go Gophers!!

I remember him speaking at a football banquet when I was a kid in St Louis Park. So long ago I truly don't remember anything he said

Kinda feel bad that I don't know who some of these guys are.

Bob Stein played on the Kansas City Chiefs team that beat the Vikings in the Super Bowl after the 1969 season. Bobby Bell and Aaron Brown were also former Gophers on that Chiefs squad.

If I recall correctly, Stein was later a team executive in the early days of the Timberwolves.

Typically, a University has an induction day (Game Day) during pre-game or halftime for recipients. Also, I’d encourage any fan of College Football to join as a member of the National Football Foundation - it will allow you to vote for Hall Of Fame Members and become a member of the MN Chapter which does some really great things which honor HS players, Collegiate players and contributors to the game.

per Shooter:

Former Gopher Bob Stein won a Super Bowl ring, a Big Ten championship ring, and on Dec. 7 will receive a ring for election to the College Football Hall of Fame. Besides the Vikings, the former linebacker from St. Louis Park played for the Kansas City Chiefs and three other NFL teams.

Stein, 73, will be induced into the college football hall on Dec. 7 at an $840 per plate dinner in Las Vegas.

Of all the honors and sports accomplishments he has enjoyed, how does this one rank?

“This is No. 1 by far,” Stein said. “I’ve been thrilled and surprised by a lot of things, but this is stunning. I’m flabbergasted. I mean, (other former Gophers hall of fame members) Bronko Nagurski, Bernie Bierman, Bruce Smith, Bobby Bell, Carl Eller, Sandy Stephens — what am I doing in there?”

Besides family, a contingent of former NFL teammates, including Ed White, Fred Dryer, George Kunz and Andy Dorris, will attend Stein’s induction.

Stein and other College Football Hall of Fame members from the Big Ten received invitations to attend the Big Ten championship football game on Dec. 4 in Indianapolis. He accepted.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom